Fresh Jobs at Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI), 16th July, 2019
Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accountability Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC).
- The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in Food Security, Livelihoods, Nutrition and Health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. From the launch of the health care services in February 2017 to the end of April 2018, a total of 119 913 OPD consultations were reached in Bolori II, while more than 60.000 beneficiaries have been reached by our cash project.
- In mid-2018, PUI has developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In the month of October 2018 only, more than 3.500 households have received door to door visit from the PCO team. In 2018, PUI has also scaled up its intervention with the opening of Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. This opening in Monguno allowed PUI to reach the vulnerable population in Kukawa and Cross Kauwa LGA.
- In 2019, PUI will further develop its integrated approach by adding a WASH component to its comprehensive response. PUI is now looking for its MEAL team in Maiduguri.
- The accountability officer will work under the direct supervision of the meal manager in the coordination office based in Maiduguri, with travel to bases as needed.
- The accountability officer will be responsible for ensuring the complaints handling mechanism is in place across PUI projects.
- S/he will be responsible to fulfil requirements under the Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP) standards especially in regards to information sharing, beneficiaries’ participation, complaints and response mechanism and accountability in monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning.
- S/he will ensure clear and transparent rules for raising and processing complaints are established and that complaints are recorded and addressed by relevant parts of PUI within a reasonable timeframe and will utilize the information received through the feedback channel to produce periodic reports and analysis that can strengthen programming and increase overall organizational accountability.
Role and Responsibilities
- Project Cycle Management: Provide technical assistance to ensure that the PUI accountability framework is integrated throughout the project cycle (design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation) across all projects.
- Human Resources: S/he will build capacity of implementing project teams to mainstream and develop accountability practices and mechanisms into programming.
- Logistics and Administration: Lead the logistic and administrative duties related to managing a complaints and feedback mechanism.
Specific Objective and Linked Activities
Mission Support Of Accountability Activities:
- Establish a complaints and feedback mechanism (CFM) in each project based on the highest levels of integrity which beneficiaries will trust and ensures that they can make confidential complaints and be confident of the response processes.
- Monitor complaints received and response (follow-up) processes through developing and maintaining a tracking mechanism.
- Ensure that feedback is routinely recorded, reviewed and responded timely in line with feedback mechanism guidelines.
- Be the first point of contact for beneficiary, staff and stakeholder complaints.
- Maintain and update the CFM database; and provide timely update to project staff based on the nature of feedback.
- Analyze patterns and trends in complaints to help improve programming.
- Generate periodic reports and share with project teams and the MEAL department.
- Conduct periodic field visit to ensure that accountability systems are in place and the necessary support is provided as needed.
- Review accountability systems periodically and update any changes if deemed necessary in consultation with the MEAL Coordinator.
- Participate in internal and external meetings related to humanitarian accountability.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Line Manager;
Capitalization/Institutional Knowledge Building:
- Lead in developing a responsive, functional and appropriate feed backing mechanism which can improve current project implementation and guide future programming.
- Provide support to programme managers in reviewing information across projects, to ensure that feedback and complaints are taken into account in programme management decisions.
- Identify and formulate accountability findings, lessons learned and recommendations to be integrated into planning and reporting efforts of PUI project activities.
Communication & Follow Up:
- Inform communities regarding their right to be consulted, make complaints and provide feedback to PUI on its activities.
- Communicate and disseminate complaints handling procedures, policies and tools to beneficiaries, project staff and other stakeholders.
Priorities of the Department
- Mainstreaming accountability into all stages of the project cycle.
- Ensuring improvements in project design by listening and responding to views of beneficiaries, stakeholders and partners.
- Adhering to HAP standards especially in regards to information sharing, beneficiaries’ participation, complaints and feedback mechanism and accountability in monitoring and evaluation.
- The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
- Language skills: Fluent in English, Hausa and Kanuri mandatory (Speaking/Reading/Writing);
- Education degree: University Degree preferably in Statistics, Information Management, Management, Social Sciences or related fields.
- Work experience: minimum of two (2) years’ experience working with INGO, NGOs or Government Agencies in Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation and implementation of Accountability Programming in Humanitarian or Development Programs.
- Knowledge and skills: strong analytical and critical thinking skills and ability to work in a diverse team and manage complex and sensitive organizational relationships.
- Competence in using information technology including experience with word-processing, spreadsheets and database software.
- Experience using SPSS, STATA or EPI info is desirable.
- Ability to receive and handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Proven interest and commitment to humanitarian and development principles and a demonstrable understanding of conflict/post conflict development contexts.
- Strong motivation to help people in needs.
- Well organized and attention to details.
- Reliable and rigorous.
- Ability to analyse and suggest improvement.
- Autonomy, neutrality, hard worker.
- Able to manage stress and pressure.
Deadline: 22nd July, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Job Title: Mental Health and Psycho-Social Support Advisor
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports to: Medical Coordinator/ HQ MHPSS Advisor
Duration of Mission: 6 months
- The Mental Health and Psycho-social Support (MHPSS) Advisor, under the technical supervision of the HQ MHPSS advisor and the responsibility of the Medical Coordinator, provides MHPSS technical support to PUI in Nigeria in order to continue improving the quality of MHPSS activities in our current health programs.
- The MHPSS Advisor will have to build the capacity of PUI MHPSS and health staff and the health system overall regarding MHPSS in our areas of intervention.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Programs: In the frame of PUI response in Nigeria, ensures the implementation of MHPSS services and activities, following PUI health policy and intervention framework, and aligned with established national guidelines and internationally accepted standards. Under the technical supervision of the HQ MHPSS Advisor and in collaboration with the Medical Coordinator and the Health Program Managers and other appropriate staff: provides technical support to the effective implementation, monitoring and quality assurance of MHPSS services and activities.
- Human Resources: In collaboration with Health Program Managers, provides MHPSS training and technical support to the MHPSS and health teams as per the identified needs. The MHPSS Advisor will also have to build capacities of one national MHPSS staff to take on advisory responsibilities.
- Logistics and Administration: Abides to logistical and administrative procedures pertinent to the MHPSS Advisor’s role and responsibilities.
- Representation: Represents the organization before partners, authorities and local actors involved in MHPSS through regular participation at appropriate coordination meetings and ad-hoc events as required.
- Safety: Contributes to efforts aimed at ensuring compliance with safety rules at the site, and transmits all information relating to safety concerns to his/her immediate supervisor.
- Strategy: Contributes to the development of new interventions based on identified needs.
Specific Objectives and Linked Activities
- Based on current and planned PUI health activities in Maiduguri and Monguno, recommends and reinforces adequate MHPSS services for each facility supported by PUI (PHCC, health outpost and mobile health clinic)
- Enforces the adherence to established MHPSS protocols based on prevailing national guidelines, international standards such as the IASC or mhGAP-HIG and PUI health & MHPSS policies
- Supports/advises on an effective referral pathway and decision making for serious mental health patients
- Provides technical guidance and support for the development of key MHPSS messages for education and outreach activities according to the needs
- Provides technical guidance to reinforce the screening and identification of beneficiaries for MHPSS through outreach and protection activities
- Conducts regular visits to the health facilities and outreach activities to assess the quality of MHPSS service delivery and activity implementation
- Verifies data collection and validates databases on a monthly basis
- Contributes to the compilation and quality of monthly reports
- Analyses MHPSS data and other sources of information to assess progress and recommends improvements in collaboration with Medical Coordinator
- Presents options for new MHPSS activities or services to the consideration of the Medical Coordinator, and in collaboration with the nutrition and the SRH advisors
- Leads the application and documentation of best practices regarding MHPSS activities for the purposes of continuous quality improvement and institutional learning (capitalization)
Support to the Health Team:
- Supports the Program Managers in preparing job profiles and actively participates in the hiring process (interviewing, testing, etc.) for MHPSS positions
- Prepares and plans a training curriculum for health facilities staff based on their needs (psychological first aid, psycho-social counselling and support)
- Provides practical training on main MHPSS protocols, including PFA and some modules of the Mental Health Gap Humanitarian Intervention Guide (mhGAP-HIG) (Acute Stress, Grief, Moderate Depression and Post-traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Identifies additional training needs and organizes training sessions and/or facilitates external trainings as needed
- Provides one-on-one technical assistance as per identified skill needs and project improvement areas
- Provides supportive supervision of MHPSS staff at all PUI supported health facilities
Logistic & Administration:
- Reviews lists of logistic needs to suffice MHPSS activities and services
- Complies with logistical and administrative procedures
Representation of PUI:
- Represents PUI at pertinent coordination meetings regularly and other meetings as requested
- Participates in Technical Working Groups as relevant to the enhancement of PUI activities and as agreed with Medical Coordinator
- Maintains good relations with all stakeholders in accordance to PUI humanitarian principles (neutrality, independence…)
Safety of Property And People:
- Ensures that MHPSS health workers are informed on Infection Prevention and Control; and provided with and trained on proper usage of pertinent protective equipment
- Contributes to data collection on security & safety by sharing important context information with the person in charge
- Ensures selection criteria, project methodologies and service delivery do not place beneficiaries, PUI staff or any other person in harm’s way; and alerts the Medical Coordinator without delay in case of impending danger to teams or beneficiaries
- Follows analyses and reports on MHPSS needs in collaboration with the Medical Coordinator and Program managers.
- Participates in assessing and identifying MHPSS needs and gaps and advises on strategies to address them.
- Contributes to the development of funding proposals, specifically for MHPSS activities; and relevant communication pieces to highlight PUI’s work related to MHPSS.
- Number of people to manage and their position (expatriate/local staff):
- Direct management: MHPSS Deputy Advisor
- Indirect management: MHPSS staff in all PUI supported health facilities
- Internal: under the supervision of the HQ MHPSS Advisor and under the management of the Medical Coordinator, works in collaboration with Nutrition and SRH advisors and Health Program Managers
- External: relevant MHPSS and health stakeholders
Required Skills and Know-How:
- Training – Trained in mhGAP training, Protection training (SGBV)
- Clinical Psychologist (Essential)
- Relevant degree in Public Health, Social Science or closely related field
- Experience implementing MHPSS project in emergency (Desirable)
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good writing skills
- Good training skills
- Knowledge of internationally validated MHPSS protocols and standards
- Knowledge of project management
- Self-guided learning skills
- Ability to motivate and guide others for knowledge and skills building
- Proven clinical experience
- Experience in community or public health
- Experience in the protection sector
- Knowledge on psychosocial care for GBV survivors
- Knowledge on nutrition programs
- Pack Office
Required Personal Characteristics (fitting into the team, suitability for the job and assignment):
- Humanitarian experience
- Ability to work independently while keeping team spirit oriented behaviour
- Ability to withstand pressure
- Open-minded & diplomatic skills
- Analytical & Strategic skills
- Capacity of organization and management of priorities
- Proactive and trouble-shooting skills
- Ability to work and manage issues professionally and with maturity
- Ability to integrate the local environment into operations, in its political, economic and historical dimension
- Monthly Gross Income: from 1,980 up to 2,310 Euros depending on the experience in International Solidarity + 50 Euros per semester seniority with PUI
- Cost Covered: round-trip transportation to and from home / mission, visas, vaccines…
- Insurance including medical coverage and complementary healthcare, 24/24 assistance and repatriation
- Housing in collective accommodation
- Daily Living Expenses (« Per diem »)
- Break Policy: 5 working days at 3 and 9 months + break allowance
- Paid Leaves Policy: 5 weeks of paid leaves per year + return ticket every 6 months
Deadline: 30th September, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online