Job for GIS Consultant at Action Against Hunger | ACF-International
Action Against Hunger | ACF-International works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: GIS Consultant
- Action Against Hunger has been supporting IDP and host populations with OFDA funding in Borno and Yobe state since 2015 reaching thousands of persons with an integrated Nutrition, Health, WASH and FSL intervention. Action Against Hunger has also implemented similar interventions with funding from other donors in the region. Other implementing partners (NGOs and UN agencies) were also present in Yobe and Borno to provide emergency humanitarian support to ensure the dire needs of the displaced/vulnerable populations are responded to. However, with the existing gap identified above, Action Against Hunger with support from Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance (OFDA) started the implementation of a project titled “Multi-Sectoral Humanitarian Response in Yobe and Borno state, Nigeria” with humanitarian assistance covering nutrition, health and WASH services in Gujba LGA of Yobe state and MMC, Jere, Konduga, Monguno, Kukawa, Magumeri and Nganzai of Borno state. The project uses an integrated approach complementing other projects being implemented in the same area including food assistance.
- This project aims to reduce mortality, morbidity and undernutrition by providing life-saving nutrition, health and WaSH services in facilities, IDP Camps and Host communities. Specific objectives of the project are:
- Improved access to healthcare services in the target areas to reduce mortality and morbidity.
- To ensure that affected populations have access to nutrition treatment and preventive services through strengthening the capacity of health facilities.
- Improved access to emergency WASH services in formal/informal IDP camps especially for women and children.
- Project Name: Multi-Sectoral Humanitarian Response in Yobe and Borno state
- Project Language: English
- Mission administering the Project: Action Against Hunger Nigeria
- Consultancy Type: GIS training
- Sector: Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Nutrition, Health.
- Location (country/ies, region/s): Yobe and Borno States, Nigeria
- Project Duration: 15 months
- Starting Date: ASAP
Objective of the Consultancy
- The purpose of this consultancy is the strengthening of the capacity of 6 to 8 Action Against Hunger M&E staff in projects information management through introducing them to knowledge of Geographical Information Systems and Remote Sensing.
- They will be introduced to spatial data collection, validation and manipulation and visualization in open source (and other contemporary) GIS environments (ArcGIS online), thus optimizing the work of Action Against Hunger in Nigeria. The idea is that, from the beginning, they can integrate the learned tools in the monitoring of the ongoing projects.
- Technical staff of Action Against Hunger in Nigeria are able to appreciate the role and use of Geospatial Information (Geographical Information Systems and Remote Sensing) in their humanitarian and development projects;
- Action Against Hunger staff have intermediate knowledge and skills in the use of ArcGIS and ArcGIS online and, as applied in their areas of implementation.
The products generated by the GIS consultant will be the following:
- Working Plan. It will be delivered no later than one week after the signature of the contract and should contain:
- Outline of Training Module: It should be a tailored, 1 week (two sessions to be conducted, one in Abuja and one in the field) or two weeks intensive GIS training course covering introductory use of GIS with a focus on humanitarian and development applications. For this training, it should be used ArcGIS Online and Collector App. The course should cover the following:
- ArcGIS, how to install and set it up.
- Maps and maps projections.
- Creating Web map and sharing with organizational users
- Introduction of remote sensing
- Image processing in ArcGIS.
- Extracting Imagery using Google Earth.
- Map design: static maps using ArcGIS
- Preparing to work in ArcGIS (Project preparation).
- Vector (Point. Line and Polygon) and raster layers operations. Integration of vector and raster layers.
- Location Point: Buffer Analysis with ArcGIS Online
- Image processing with SCP.
- Data collection including collection of GPS coordinates using Android phones and integration into the GIS environment
- Integration of ArcGIS Online Collector APP or Survey 123.
- Practical work with the ongoing projects.
- The calendar of activities and products to be delivered.
- Final report on trainings. It must include all the manuals, presentations and practical work used for the training.
Management Arrangements and Work Plan:
- The consultant will directly report to M&E Head of Department in Action Against Hunger – Abuja or their designate.
- The consultant will submit all the outputs directly to the M&E Heads of Department or their designate who will do a quality check (ensure required elements are there) and decide whether the tools and report are ready for sharing.
- The M&E Head of Department will forward a copy to key stakeholders for comments on factual issues and for clarifications.
- He/she will consolidate the comments and send these to the consultant by the date agreed between both parties or as soon as the comments are received from stakeholders.
- The consultant will consider all comments to finalize report and will submit it to the M&E Head of Department or designate who will then officially forward to relevant stakeholders.
Ethical and Legal Matters
The ownership of the draft and final documentation belongs to the agency and the funding donor exclusively. The document, or publication related to it, will not be shared with anybody except Action Against Hunger before the delivery by Action Against Hunger of the final document to the donor. Action Against Hunger is to be the main addressee of the analysis and its results might impact on both operational and technical strategies. This being said, Action Against Hunger is likely to share the results of the analysis with the following groups:
- Government partner
- Various coordination bodies
For independent consultancies, it is important that the consultant does not have any links to project management, or any other conflict of interest that would interfere with the independence of the activity.
Intellectual Property Rights:
- All documentation related to the assignment (whether or not in the course of duties) shall remain the sole and exclusive property of Action Against Hunger.
Qualifications and Experience
- High level of proficiency with GIS, Experience in the use of ArcGIS and Open source GIS software (QGIS).
- Experience with the use of GIS in humanitarian and development settings.
- Experience providing technical instruction/training in GIS.
Deadline: 12th July, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates/consultants should send a technical and financial proposal (in USD dollars or Naira) detailing his/or her understanding of the TOR and methodology that will be used to undertake the task. Also include profiles of previous tasks carried out in the last 3 years, team composition and CVs of key personnel, detailed work plan and budget electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org attachments in Pdf and a Subject Line: “OFDA B2C ToR GIS Training”.
Note: As part of the Consultant selection process, the best five candidates might be subjected to an interview process, as may be required by the Supply Chain and Core Technical Teams, to inform the final decision on the award of the Contract.
Evaluation of Applications
- The evaluation of the applications by an internal team comprising of the M&E technical team and project manager will be conducted. Internal evaluation criteria and selection procedures from Action Against Hunger Nigeria and the OFDA B2C project will be applied.
The selection criteria used are the following:
Technical evaluation criteria Point:
- Quality of the approach / adherence to the ToR 30
- Specialized experience, technical competence and contextual Knowledge 20
- Quality of the proposed methodology 40
- A realistic and affordable budget- Weighted Average 10
- TOTAL: 100
Immediate exclusion criteria:
- Technical offer
- Incomplete documentation;
- Lack of methodological note and or budget;
- Lack of previous relevant experience.
Rating of financial offers:
- Financial offers will be rated on scale from 0-10 based on the completeness and clarity of the information and on the apparent cost-effectiveness of the proposed action vis-à-vis the expected costs. The score is attributed by weighting every total budget against the most affordable financial proposal received, in order to include a comparative element in the final score.
- An advance payment equal to 30% of the overall agreed compensation will be paid after validation of the Outline of Training Module by Action Against Hunger and validation of the inception report and upon receipt of an invoice addressed to Action Against Hunger Nigeria.
- Following the completion of all the agreed expected tasks and following validation of the final training report by the M&E HOD, the remaining 70% of the overall agreed compensation will be paid, upon receipt of an original invoice addressed to Action Against Hunger Nigeria. The payment will be made through a bank transfer.