Street Child is a UK charity working to protect vulnerable children and improve access to education in some of the poorest communities in the world. We work in 11 countries across Africa and Asia in context of Humanitarian Emergencies as in developmental context. Our work combines Education, Child protection and Livelihood as key pillars to ensure the cognitive development and wellbeing of most marginalised children.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: North East Education Programme Manager
Location: Maiduguri with frequent travel to Adamawa, Yobe and Abuja
Starting from: 10th August 2019
Duration: 1 year with 3-month probation
Report to: Street Child Programme Director
- Street Child is looking for a dedicated Education Programme Manager for our programmes in North East Nigeria. Our education programmes include emergency education interventions in collaboration with the Education in Emergencies Working Group and the Federal/State Government by providing non-formal education for Internally Displaced and Out of School Children, and by improving the quality of education of the formal system with training of teachers and remedial intervention for better learning outcomes. Street Child also integrates Child Protection to ensure children learn in a safe and protective environment in school and at home.
- Presently Street Child is launching a 3-year Programme for Borno State funded by EU and in partnership with UNICEF that will provide access to education to 18,000 out of school children. Aligned with the commitment to the localisation agenda, Street Child will implement together with three local organisations we have been working together in the last two years.
- Other major Education in Emergencies intervention are in the pipeline with current finalisation of contracts.
- The main responsibility of the Program Manager will be to oversee implementation of the North East Nigeria programmes, reporting to the Street Child Programme Director and in close collaboration with the NE Programmes Manager, the Education Specialist and the Child Protection Programme Manager. The role will involve managing the North East Nigeria Education team in Borno to work effectively with implementing partners and in liaison with government stakeholders.
- The position proven capacity of project delivery, effective team management and effective partner management at a senior level. The ideal candidate would have a strong background in Education, good communication skills, and excellent leadership abilities. Analytical thinking and the capacity to research innovative intervention methods, as well as creativity and flexibility are also expected.
Identification of Position
- Responsible overall for the implementation of Street Child’s North East Nigeria programmes, including:
- Identifying, troubleshooting and reporting issues with programme implementation the Nigeria Programme Manager as necessary
- Responsible for effectively management of implementing partners by:
- Leading the programmes team to effectively manage and support implementing partners, in collaboration with the finance team;
- Overseeing the monitoring function of the Street Child team to identify and respond to issues with partners;
- Working with the Street Child International team to identify partner training needs and coordinate with the team and partners to conduct capacity building trainings for partners.
- Responsible for recruitment (if needed and requested) and management of programme team in Borno, in coordination with the Street Child Programme Director and the NE Programmes Manager;
- Responsible for co-ordination and liaison between Street Child and other agencies/local government, representing Street Child at a senior level
- Project planning, including development of work plans with Street Child team and implementing partners, and design of project management tools
- Project delivery, including monitoring of activities progress again target, and supervising and recording project activities expenditure against budget
- Preparation of narrative and financial reports monthly, quarterly and annually as required on project activities to partners and donors
- Participate in developing long- range strategies goals and strategies consistent with the mission and capability of the organization.
- Support on developing new proposal and identify scale up opportunities
- Excellent interpersonal, listening and communication skills;
- Ability to positively influence others and successfully reconcile differences;
- A self-starter with a strong results orientation and with high levels of integrity, credibility and dependability;
- An energetic team player who can effectively collaborate, and who can stand alone when necessary;
- Ability to work in international settings and with various departments to implement successful approaches to Education;
- Demonstrated ability to work and deliver under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Commitment to Street Child mission, vision and values, and the ability to convey with enthusiasm Street Child’s role in accompanying and serving forcibly displaced people and in advocating for their right to protection and a life in dignity;
- High integrity, honesty and confidentiality; ability to deal tactfully and discreetly with situations, people and information;
- Acceptance of diversity and inclusion as a core value.
- Willingness to work in flexible, sub-optimal, stressful and unstable environment.
Qualification and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Social Science, Education or equivalent
- Experience (at least 6 years) working in international development in programme management roles;
- Experience (at least 2 year) of working in North East Nigeria on the emergency response in education or other relevant sectors;
- Experience in managing sizable teams
- Proven evidence of having led the delivery of successful programmes, ideally with a budget of $1m+
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) and excellent writing skills.
- Hausa language skills are high desirable
- Strong analytical, reporting, strategic thinking and planning skills.
- Strong monitoring and evaluation skills/experience
- Knowledge of project cycle management.
- Knowledge and ability to apply INEE standards an advantage
Terms and Conditions
- Contract is for one year and renewable according to performance review, with an initial probationary period of three months. The salary will be proportioned to the candidate experience and balanced to the Street Child salary scale.
Deadline: 24th July, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Nigerian Nationals Only
- Interviews will be offered as they are received
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted