New Jobs at African Development Bank Group (AfDB), July, 2019
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Unit, Ethics Office
Location: Abidjan, Cote D’ivoire
Position N°: 50092351
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the ADB and the ADF.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST0); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRM); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat(PSEG).
The Hiring Department
- The Ethics Office is responsible for providing leadership and management and the provision of ethical advice and guidance to Management and Staff on ethical issues and assistance in preventing, mitigating and resolving ethical matters in a manner that contributes to the good governance of the Bank and helps to maintain its name, image and reputation for probity, integrity and impartiality
- The Ethics Office acts independently of any official, department, office or other organizational unit of the Bank, but, for administrative purposes, is placed within the Presidency and reports to the President
- The scope of the Ethics Office is limited to staff members and not extend to elected officers who are covered by a separate framework.
- The Head of Unit, Ethics Office is accountable for providing leadership and communicating the vision on all matters relating to the ethical conduct and related matters for Bank Staff
- The Director advises and assists the various organs of the Bank in the development of relevant rules and regulations as well as guidelines on ethical business practices and conduct
- The incumbent is also responsible for instilling and maintaining an ethical culture among Staff and Management as well as ensuring the prevention of unethical conduct, continuous improvement, outreach and monitoring of the system.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Bank’s President and functional supervision of the Chief of Staff the Head of Unit – Ethics Office (PETH), has the following responsibilities:
Specific Accountabilities of the Function:
- Provide overall leadership, vision and strategy for the Ethics and Compliance Programs
- Lead key components of the Bank’s Ethics and Compliance Program including risk assessment, policy development, training, communication, monitoring, and program evaluation and improvement;
- Use data to evaluate trends and monitor applicable practices to recommend appropriate strategy and program enhancements;
- Serve as a subject matter expert on ethics and compliance advice on how to meet the standards of conduct set out in the Staff Code of Conduct, assist Staff in understanding their ethical obligations, identify areas of conflict or possible conflict, and make recommendations, thereby preventing ethics violations before they occur;
- Ensure compliance with the Staff Code of Conduct to ensure that ethical procedures are consistently adhered to throughout the Bank;
- Create and maintain an ethical culture consistent with the highest standards of corporate governance,
- Oversee the implementation, review and communications strategy for complying with the Bank’s disclosure process. This includes helping Managers and Staff create and nurture a culture where raising ethical issues is safe and institutionally acceptable;
- Advise Staff and Management on queries pertaining to conflicts of interest involving the Bank, whether personal or business/organization in nature and making recommendations to top Management on related polices and guidelines as appropriate;
- Develop key knowledge and contact points as well as provide training and sensitization on issues relating to Bank wide corporate governance conduct principles and ethics;
- Advise Senior Management, Director, Human Resources Management Department (CHRM), and others on the application of ethics rules; and conduct information sessions as well as training programs aimed at increasing awareness on ethics issues; and
- Advise Staff and Management on actions that could constitute misconduct.
Detailed activities in relation with the accountabilities of the function:
- Establish an impartial point of contact to provide confidential advice and guidance on matters of ethics and conduct for employees to use without fear of retaliation;
- Coordinate outreach and education to promote, inter alia, and increase awareness of Bank values, standards of conduct and procedures through orientation and induction programs, as well as other means of communication to continuously reinforce the Bank’s ethical work culture;
- Assist Management in establishing policy recommendations and guidelines to deal with new and evolving areas related to ethical aspects of corporate behaviour, and the development and dissemination of best practices;
- Maintain working knowledge of relevant regulatory and ethical issues; of professional ethics codes, and of international laws and regulations, or professional or industry ethics codes, and of ethics conflicts resolution techniques;
- Develop the ethical compliance programs as well as Standards of Ethical Conduct and behaviour for approval of Senior Management and implement/maintain;
- Develop/conduct training, sensitization and awareness-raising sessions for Staff, Management and different Stakeholders;
- Take responsibility for the Staff, strategy, budget and work program of the Ethics Office; and
- Manage the Ethics Help/Hotline to provide guidance on ethical values, ensure the development of internal and external communications, Code of Conduct and other material and tools for ethics issues management.
- Lead the development and implementation of the HR strategy and plans of the unit
- The Director is to maintain strict confidentiality with respect to information disclosed to him or her in the exercise of the duties of the Office
- The Ethics Office shall maintain confidential records of advice given and reports received.
- The Director shall provide an Annual Report to Management that shall be made available to Staff members, which includes an overview of the activities of the Office specifying the number and general nature of matters brought to its attention and the outcome over the prior twelve-month period.
- Prepare and present periodic reports and presentations to stakeholders and employees regarding various ethics and compliance-related topics
- Holds at least a Master’s or equivalent Degree in Ethics, Human Resources Management, Organisational Development, Work Psychology, Law, Social Sciences, Business Administration, Public Sector Management, Behavioral Science or related discipline.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; with the ability to enable team work and collaboration
- Demonstrated record in innovative and creative approaches to influence organizational behaviour or culture to achieve benefits to the Bank and its clients.
- In-depth knowledge of ethics and compliance requirements in public and private operations.
- A track record of working well across cultures with a wide variety of people in a professional and diplomatic manner
- Demonstrable ability to self-start and work independently while exercising practical and creative problem analysis and resolution skills; comfortable engaging in all levels of work
- Knowledge of the operational policies, procedures and practices of major bilateral and multilateral development agencies
- Competence in the use of Microsoft standard software (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point, SAP and/or other integrated document management system).
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- A minimum of nine (9) years experience of relevant experience that demonstrates a track record of maintaining high ethical standards and personal integrity.
- Solid experience working with ethics in international or in large multilateral organization is an added advantage.
- A track record of successfully creating, leading and motivating teams to deliver on strategic and operational priorities
- Experience in developing strategy, policies, programs and guidelines in large institutions
- Proven capability in implementing projects and new initiatives across functions and various locations
- An outstanding track record of integrity, honesty, professionalism, fairness and personal ethics
- A track record of building partnerships and/ or networks across functional boundaries including good skills in conflict management
Deadline: 16th August, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level
- The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts
- The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in g