Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University Lapai (IBBUL) is a modern, outward-looking institution, committed to engaging with the major issues of our times. A leading multidisciplinary university, IBBUL today is a true academic powerhouse.
The Governing Council of Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (Niger State Government Owned), hereby invites applications from suitably qualified distinguished Professors with relevant cognate experience in university teaching, research and administration to apply in the vacant position below:
Job Title: Vice-Chancellor
The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Executive and Lead Academic Officer of the University, Chairman of the Senate and Member of the Governing Council of the University. Among other expected attributes, the Vice-Chancellor is required, therefore, to:
- Be a renowned Professor with track record of outstanding academic and research output in contribution to knowledge in any of the present programmes àf the University;
- Demonstrate adequate knowledge and ability to apply novel approaches in realization of the vision and mission set in the strategic plan of the University;
- Be competent at all times to advise the Council on any matter affecting the policy, finance and administration of the University;
- Possess a pedigree of national and international background and recognition in his or her academic discipline;
- Be able to demonstrate the capacity to continue to nurture the Institution within the benchmarks of other reputable universities, minimum standards of NUC and standards already set in the University in pursuance of academic Programmes and Faculties;
- Be generally capable of relating to the Council for maintaining the efficiency and good order of the University and for ensuring the proper enforcement of Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations within the University Law;
- Be capable of maintaining staff and students discipline in the University;
- Be able to regulate the admission of the students and administration of academic programmes in accordance with the guidelines and procedures approved by the Senate.
Qualification and Experience of the Candidate
Interested candidates for the position of Vice-Chancellor; Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, are expected to be:
- Distinguished Professors with demonstrated ability to provide exemplary academic leadership and proven managerial capacity;
- Of high moral standards, impeccable character and of proven integrity with irrevocable commitment to best practices in corporate governance, with particular emphasis on accountability, transparency and probity and must be able to ensure effective utilization of limited resources for maximum public good;
- Able to demonstrate irrevocable commitment to the cardinal values of merit, consistency and fairness as operating principles and can apply these across the board;
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT) proficient, and be committed to the development of ICT in the University programmes and services;
- Able to attract research grants and complementary funds from local and international agencies, as well as from relevant other sources to uplift the academic status of the University;
- Capable of relating effectively with government, non-governmental organizations, the University Endowment Fund Board, the Alumni, the Local Governments, community and foster linkages with institutions within and outside Nigeria;
- A person who is not likely to foster personal, ethnic, political, religious or other factional interests arid who is also capable of inspiring the members of university community towards the attainment of its goals;
- Able to demonstrate a good understanding of the Vision and Mission of the University in the context of its present Strategic Plan;
- An individual who, judging from his/her track records is likely to command the respect as well as loyalty of members of staff. Students and university community;
- In a position to ensure the enforcement of the university laws and regulations;
- Of excellent physical and mental health.
- Write in not more than Seven Hundred and Fifty (750) words his/her vision and mission for the University.
Conditions of Service
- The salary and condition of service are as applicable to the post of Vice-Chancellors in Nigerian Universities and as determined by the Governing Council and Government of Niger State from time to time.
- The Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years.
Deadline: 19th August, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates are required to submit each applicant’s Application Letter, twenty-five (25 copies), should be accompanied by 25 copies of the candidate’s detailed “Curriculum Vitae” (CV), signed and dated by the candidate. The CV must contain, among others:
- The candidate’s Name in full,
- Marital status,
- Current Address including e-mail and phone numbers,
- Educational qualifications with dates,
- Institutions attended,
- List of post graduate students supervised and graduated,
- Research output,
- External examinations conducted,
- Academic and non-academic laurels,
- Professional status attained,
- Copy of letter of appointment as professor
- Scholarly publications in renowned national and international journals and books with dates;
Each application should be accompanied by a certificate of birth or statutory declaration of age, and certificate of medical fitness based on documented comprehensive, medical examination from a government hospital;
Each candidate must have three (3) referees who should be requested by the candidate to forward their reports directly to The Registrar under confidential cover; such referees should be in a position to attest to the candidates claim to high academic standard, managerial capability and moral uprightness;
All applications are to be forwarded under confidential cover in a sealed envelope marked at the upper left hand corner “Application for the Post of Vice-Chancellor”, addressed to
The Registrar and Secretary to Council,
Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University,
P.M.B. 11, KM 3, Minna Road,
Lapai – Niger State.
- All shortlisted candidates shall be required to make themselves available for interaction with the joint Council/Senate Selection Board;
- Any other necessary information that may be required for the post.