United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Intern
Position Number: 2019/VA/051
Contract Type: Internship
Duration of Contract: Six Months
Category: Protection Operational Support
Slot: 2 Openings
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- University degree in Law, International (Humanitarian/Human Rights) Law, Human Rights or similar fields
- Excellent written and verbal communication, analytical abilities and research skills
- Excellent inter-personal skills and interest to work particularly with NGOs and government institutions
- Strong attention to detail, proactive approach, ability to work quickly under pressure and juggle multiple tasks
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and basic administrative skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Candidates must be Nigerian nationals.
- In order to be considered for an internship, candidates must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Recent graduate (those persons who completed their studies within one year of applying) or current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a university or higher education facility accredited by UNESCO; and
- Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field relevant or of interest to the work of the Organization.
- An individual whose father, mother, son, daughter, brother or sister is a staff member of UNHCR, including a Temporary Appointment holder or a member of the Affiliate Workforce, is not eligible for an internship.
Context, Duties and Responsibilities
- Based in UNHCR Nigeria’s Abuja office, this internship offers a unique opportunity to gain experience in supporting UNHCR’s protection response, and in particular in the context of the humanitarian emergency situation in North East Nigeria.
- It will provide insight and experience into the implementation of UNHCR protection interventions in priority areas and its leadership role coordinating the Protection Sector Working Group (PSWG).
- Under the supervision of the Associate Protection Officer, The intern shall:
- Follow developments in the protection situation in the Nigeria and contribute to analysis for protection activities taking place;
- Assist UNHCR in its role as co-lead of the PSWG, including by supporting the Secretariat, organising pertinent meetings (including meetings Sub-Sector Working Groups and other Sectors), drafting minutes and providing briefing summaries;
- Draft or provide inputs to all necessary documents including reports, strategies, letters and speeches, etc.;
- Assist the Protection Team with development of, monitoring and reporting on protection activities, including trainings;
- Assist the protection team in gathering systematic country of origin and other research information;
- Provide assistance to the development of information materials, including power point presentations, policy papers, meeting minutes, etc.;
- Perform other related duties, as required
Deadline: 1st August, 2019 Midnight.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online