Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) is the world’s leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organisations where their skills can have the greatest impact.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Youth Program Manager
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract type: Fixed Term
Full Time: 35 hours per week
Start date: 1st September, 2019.
Key Performance Indicator
- Stakeholder feedback indicates relationships well managed
- Clear contribution to program planning and development.
- Host home and placements established with YPM supervision
- Programme briefing information for volunteers reflects PS inputs
- Review Project reports and ensure submission in accordance with ICS M&E framework
- Ensure POs submit Incident reports s to country office and Medical Unit where appropriate Programme stakeholders receive regular updates
- Ensure submission of monthly reconciliation reports by the PO’s
- Project comes in within budge
- Volunteer TL’s receive at least one pre-departure session with PS to set personal development goals.
- Volunteers TL’s receive minimum of three face to face supervisions sessions for support with adapting and working effectively on the programme.
- Safety and security briefings received and action taken when protocols breached. Evidence of Volunteer TL’s and ICS volunteers receive in-country training and support to deliver youth-led training and learning activities throughout the programme. Volunteer feedback on learning materials and support for learning received within time frame.
- Positive feedback from volunteers indicating YPM relationship with partner and IV’s and Host communities is a model of good practice.
- Minimum of 3 supervision sessions to discuss performance with line manager
Program design delivery of ICS and other Youth programs:
- Overseen ICS project officers in effective planning implementation of ICS projects cycles including Volunteer Support and management:
- Working with PO’s to provide adequate support and supervision of volunteers throughout the ICS and other youth volunteers programme.
- Ensuring PO’s are constantly promoting and encouraging appropriate behaviour and ensuring compliance with safety and security policies; Incident reporting relating to medical and security matters related to volunteers.
Facilitation of learning and documentation of impact:
- Ensuring the quality of learning delivered by PO’s to volunteers on global, cross-cultural and intercultural issues through effective training and learning tools;
- Lead and supervise PO’s to support youth led and on-placement training throughout the programme.
- Lead PO’s in the effective planning and implementation of ICS and Youth.
Stakeholder engagement and Partnership Management:
- Act as a representative of VSO Nigeria while relating with key stakeholder, identification and appraisal of appropriate partners at all times.
- Ensure the partner organization is adhering to the agreements in Partnership Agreement Document.
- Ensure PO’s and Partners relationship managed in the best interest of programme quality delivery.
- Update project stakeholders on project progress, including the reporting of medical and safety and security incidents.
- To gather data and produce a project report in accordance with the programme M&E framework. Support volunteers to produce Support case studies capturing impact.
- Lead in designing and development of new projects in consultation with partners, youth and other key stake holders;
- Support POs in identification of potential funding sources.
- Lead to Ensure Reporting, Documentation of impact, Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Working with Finance manager to ensure effective management of the project budget, submitting monthly reports to the partner and country office.
Skills and Knowledge
- Communication Possession of strong verbal communication to work effectively and inclusively with an overseas colleague.
- Strong written communication skills needed for writing reports.
- Supervision Significant experience of working in a supervisory role.
- Proven ability to promote self-awareness, learning and development among individuals.
- Planning and Organising Able to develop clear and realistic plans to deliver agreed objectives within deadlines, involving key individuals in the planning process.
- Track record of management experience of working with 18-25 year olds from a wide range of backgrounds with proven ability to facilitate learning in a non-formal environment.
- Cross-Cultural Working Direct and substantial management experience of working cross culturally and able to communicate to a range of audiences and promote sharing and learning between cultures.
- International Development Knowledge of issues which are common to communities in developing countries, possibly achieved through working or living in a developing country.
- Experience of promoting learning about development issues.
- Budget Management Experience of managing budgets and undertaking accounting procedures.
- Volunteering Sufficient experience of working with volunteers to understand the key factors which make volunteer placements viable, effective and rewarding.
- Programme Design and Evaluation Experience of designing and evaluating youth programmes in an international context.
- Experience of using monitoring and evaluation tools and processes.
- Building and Sustaining working relationships – The social skills to build and actively maintain working relationships that foster teamwork and collaboration with others for the benefit of a common goal.
- Open Minded and Respectful – A non-judgemental approach that values other people and culture.
- Seeking and Sharing Knowledge – Recognition that learning is a twoway and continuous process.
- Facilitating Positive Change – The ability to analyse problems and develop lasting solutions in line with VSO approaches.
- Adaptability – A flexible approach and the ability to adapt behaviour to different situations.
- Resilience – The self-confidence to work with a variety of situations, diverse people and ambiguity.
Application Deadline 14th July, 2019.
Interview Date 24th July, 2019.