Job Vacancy for MEAL Coordinator at Solidarites International (SI)
Solidarites International (SI) is a French humanitarian organisation operating for over 35 years who is committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: water, food and shelter. SI has started activities in North-eastern Nigeria in August 2016 in the fields of Wash and is now intervening in 4 areas of the state for Wash and Shelter activities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: MEAL Coordinator
Job number: SRH03568
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Type: Short term contract
Desired start date: 04/11/2019
Duration of the mission: 9 months (renewable)
- The current political and military crisis has affected millions of lives in Nigeria and SI is answering the needs of displaced populations and host communities in Borno State. The targeted areas of intervention are WASH, shelter, logistics, food security and livelihood. Seven programs are currently running:
- Multi-sectorial project over 3 years in Monguno, Ngala, Askira/Uba and Hawul in consortium with ALIMA and funded by EuropeAid Logistic Platform project funded by WFP in Monguno Emergency WASH and Shelter response funded by OFDA in Maiduguri, Monguno, Dikwa, Ngala Emergency WASH in Health funded by ECHO – in consortium with ALIMA in Maiduguri and Monguno Emergency WASH funded by ECHO in Maiduguri, Monguno and Dikwa WASH response for vulnerable IDPs and host communities in Dikwa funded by CDC Emergency WASH response for new onset manmade disaster in Ngala funded by NHF
- This mission has potential to continue developing relevant and mandate-based interventions to cover the needs in the area and to ensure humanitarian impact. The team is well staffed with very diverse profiles.
Here are the key numbers about the mission:
- 5 bases (Maiduguri, Abuja, Dikwa, Ngala and Monguno) plus Coordination Office in Maiduguri. The number of expatriates is around 20 The national staff are approximately 200 The total budget of the mission is around 7,5 million euros
About the Job
- Under the supervision of the Deputy Country Director for Programs, the MEAL Coordinator designs the MEAL action plans of the mission, in accordance with SI’s operational framework.
- He/she is responsible for providing technical guidance and support to MEAL staff at each base (Dikwa, Ngala, Maiduguri, and Monguno), as well as developing and disseminating tools for ongoing MEAL activates.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Elaborate and contribute to the elaboration, review and harmonization of M&E tools, data management, especially in M&E plans.
- Contribute to terms of references for external evaluations and studies.
- Develop and maintaining monitoring tools for external and internal coordination and communication such as dashboards and web maps.
- Validate data checking and cleaning, analysis, maps and recommendations produced by the MEAL department or PMs before their dissemination. Liaise with HQ if external publication.
- Propose adjustments, new activities to improve the quality of the operations or approaches, in consultation with technical coordinators.
- Monitoring and improve complaints response mechanisms (CRM).
- Ensure the primary principles of the CRM are incorporated and respected.
Learning/Institutional Knowledge Building (IKB):
- Make sure that all IKB tools are disseminated and used on the mission.
- Build on institutional knowledge on M&E activities and missions’ results (lessons learnt and recommendations) and make sure these are known by technical and field coordinators.
- Participate into centralizing and disseminating procedures, guides and tools with HQ.
- Build on an expertise network in his/her field and, if possible, develop partnerships with counterparts.
- Use SI’s IKB tools to document MEAL tools and methodologies/approaches; sharing with relevant HQ departments.
Specific stakes and challenges:
- Focus on the ongoing implementation of protection mainstreaming and accountability across all activities. Particularly important for the two ECHO grants Strengthen the CRM first established in 2018 by improving and incorporating new and contextually relevant channels to access, improving and standardizing referral mechanisms, and fully incorporating and sensitizing teams on whistle blower policies Ongoing update and improvement of mission monitoring tools and databases in collaboration with technical coordinators Actively contribute to all consortiums via attending meetings, regularly updating monthly/quarterly meetings, and presenting on activates, assessments, and discussing issues when possible and needed Ongoing monitoring of the EuropAid project activities, particularly regarding the MR is needed in collaboration with the lead partner organization. The monitoring of the FSL activities require particular attention in relation to the recent MR
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Follow-up on quarterly indicator tracking tools and identify what has been achieved, where, by whom, how, any bottlenecks, and work with bases to highlight the difficulties and achievements, and overall how best to adapt to the findings Ensure CRM standards are harmonized in all bases and utilized by all program staff Identify any monitoring gaps or redundancies and address as needed in collaboration with the base teams and technical coordinators input
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Statistic, Quality Control or Humanitarian Project Management
- Minimum experience of 3 years as MEAL Coordinator
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills (planning of assessments and evaluations across bases)
- Ability to work autonomously
- Good communication skills
- Previous GIS experience would be interesting for this position in order to develop area knowledge and bring together current water resource mapping and community boundary mapping
- Good resistance to stress and pressure
- Good written and spoken English
- Experience in Information Management
- Experience in assessments with representative and purposive sampling
- Experience in capacity building of teams
- Experience in communication with communities and accountability mechanism
- Knowledge of social research and data collection theories and methodologies
- Knowledge on project management and PCM
- Knowledge on data collect, sampling, mobile data collection (Kobo, XLS form) and data analysis
- Knowledge on database management (Access, SQL)
- Capacity to follow multiple projects across multiple bases and synthesize and analyze both technical and non-technical data
SI will Offer You
- According to experience, starting from 2640 euros gross per month (2400 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem of 600 USD.
- SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
- Vacation: During the assignment, R&R is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. SI offers you 7 working days ever three months, with 850 USD allowance for each break. In addition to these regular breaks, SI adds a day off per worked month. These days off as well as the breaks are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary as they are offered by the organization.
Social and medical cover:
- Expatriates benefit from an insurance package, which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
- The living conditions of the base are comfortable (A.C, comfortable beds, TV, tennis table, good cooking etc.) with possibility of finding a wide range of goods for cooking.
- Despite security restriction, the level of activities is quite good (sport: soccer, volleyball…and interactions with other INGO).
- The multicultural environment allows for enriching exchanges and extensive discussions, as the atmosphere is very uplifting. Security procedures are quite restrictive so it means that knowledge of the city and the culture will be also very limited.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online