Recruitment at the European Union (EU) for Programme Officer
The European Union (EU) is a major player in the international development community in Nigeria with an active presence in the key sectors of health, nutrition, water and sanitation and improving access to sustainable electricity. Additional cross-cutting activities include the fight against corruption, drugs and organised crime, support to the reform of the justice system, measures to increase the role democratic processes and supporting a greater role for civil society.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Baground of the Job
- The European Commission’s Directorate General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO) hereby seek applications from suitably qualified candidate for the position of Programme Officer to join its Field Office in Maiduguri.
- Have a relevant second level university degree;
- Demonstrate 5 years relevant experience at national or international level in managing programme /project operations, including at least 2 years of experience with an NGO’s, donor or national/international organisation. If no advanced degree, ten years’ work experience in the humanitarian sector will be required;
- Have thorough knowledge of the Logical Framework Approach and Project Cycle Management;
- Have a very good knowledge of the EU humanitarian aid system as well as Humanitarian Aid principles, policies and Standards;
- Be fluent in English (oral and written) plus excellent knowledge of Hausa. Good knowledge of Kanuri is an asset.
- Have full computer literacy, covering all relevant office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc).
- Personal initiative; ability to work both independently and in a team, with ability to set priorities, and to work to tight deadlines;
- Commitment, determination, reliability, a high degree of personal integrity and discretion;
- Ability to analyse and process information; & clearly & concisely convey information to others.
Duties & Responsibilities
- He/she will carry out activities to ensure the delivery of an effective humanitarian response.
- The PO may be asked to run an office and supervise staff in the absence of a TA or, when in an RO, be in charge of regional overview tasks.
- He/She will be responsible for the following main tasks:
- Contributing to designing ECHO overall strategy.
- Analysis of ECHO partners’ proposals &Assessing policy compliance of proposals;
- Appraisal, Monitoring, evaluation and coordination of projects;
- Reporting and programme administration;
- Liaising closely with EU DG DEVCO officers and/or TA teams in the coordination of ECHO and DEVCO projects in the region, and support preparation and execution of joint meetings and related activities.
Detailed competences list & Terms of reference available here: Terms of Reference (PO) – PDF format
- This is a local posting for nationals, also open to other residents of Nigeria with a valid working and residence permit. The contract is initially for one year with the possibility of renewal subject to a 6 months’ probationary period.
- As an indication, the monthly basic salary is an average of NGN 1,190,491 (subject to Nigerian tax law); which corresponds to 5 years relevant work experience.
- The salary will be adapted according to the exact duration of relevant professional experience supported by a work certificate. In addition to this, the employee will also receive disability/retirement allowance, 13th month salary as well as a medical coverage.
- Candidates who have not been contacted by the stated closing date should consider that they have not been pre-selected. Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted. Any form of canvassing, soliciting or influencing will be treated as grounds for disqualification.
- DG ECHO applies a policy of equal opportunities. Our recruitment policy is based on respect for diversity, maintaining gender balance, & professional and private life balance, and support for training and development opportunities.