GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), one of the world’s leading research based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies, is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. GSK employs over 97,000 employees in over 100 countries worldwide.
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Nigeria Plc is one of Africa’s largest consumer healthcare companies, producing leading brands such as Lucozade, Ribena and Panadol.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Vaccines Public Health Manager FWCA (French Speaker)
Requisition ID: 225913
Location: Ilupeju, Lagos
- Drive evolution of government immunization programs through external engagement with Public Health Authorities and various implementation partners (UNICEF, WHO…) in a wide range of countries across Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Set the direction and manage the activities in a dedicated geography across Sub-Saharan Africa to ensure the achievement of GSK Export ambition. Understand and shape government immunization priorities Understand and impact decisions making process through complex interactions between stakeholders, define detailed stakeholders mapping and lead robust external engagement plan Defend GAVI business and support new implementations of GAVI approved vaccines by securing preference for GSK Vaccines portfolio and timely introductions Work hand in hand with Vx Medical and value evidence generation teams to educate stakeholders and ensure medical, health economic data are factored in the decision making process Build / strengthen relationships with external local experts, government agencies such as EPI, NITAG, ICC, pediatric associations, supranational agencies… to positively affect vaccination strategies and ensure that GSK vaccines are considered in government tenders (non-GAVI) and universal mass vaccination programs in GAVI countries. Explore opportunities that will contribute to improve vaccination coverage with GSK vaccines.
- Ensure that the activities conducted are in conformity with GSK ways of working, expectations, legal and corporate standards. Provide ad hoc support to private market (where relevant)
Minimum Level of Education Required:
- University degree in Public Health or any other relevant discipline. MBA is preferred.
- At least 5 years experience in managing interactions with government senior officials and other immunization implementation partners.
- Fluency in French Language is a mandatory requirement.
- Fluency in Portuguese Language is an added advantage.
Previous Experience Required:
- Demonstrated understanding of the external and public health environment Showcase ability to deliver tangible, measurable and sustainable business results that earn the organization the social license to operate and grow. Strong personal track record in understand complex decision making processes and influencing skills Solid ability to build strong long term partnerships and relationship with government and other key external stakeholders Highly skilled in managing complex issues (external and internal), identifying areas of control, mobilizing internal response and resolving effectively Demonstrated ability to lead external engagement Experience in Vaccines is a plus
- Candidate that will cover West & Central Africa should speak English and French fluently
- GSK would require the holder of this job to have a University Degree and required experience / seniority as the incumbent will have to manage high level stakeholders engagement with senior government officials in a complex decision making environment (political, economic, public health agenda, political landscape, GAVI / partners market shaping agenda…)
- Seniority of stakeholders to engage within Ministries of Health, Expanded Progam on Immunization, Inter-Agency Coordination Committee, National Immunization Technical Advisory Groups, local offices of supranational organizations…
- Environment complexity with potential conflicting priorities
Problem solving and Innovation:
- The job holder is expected to understand key decision making processes as well as levels of influences that drive the respective national immunization agendas across a wide geography (1 – approx. 25 countries).
- Understand coverage issues and identify areas of improvement through Global Health Programs (Save The Children…) interventions, social mobilization activities, disease awareness programs…
- Prioritize activities according to size of opportunities, levels of risks, Regional ambition…
- Ensure smooth transition from GAVI-funded to self-fincanced while avoiding disruption of immunization programs and impact on coverage
- Understand government priorities and potential areas of conflicts (e.g. public health agenda, Financing…).
- Shape government agenda to the benefits of the patients
- Monitor competitor’s activities (external engagements…) and adapt tactics accordingly to protect and grow GSK Vaccines
- Resolves non-routine similar issues often / is a ‘judiciary’ point on unclear matters
- Good Communication and interpersonal skills will be required to manage interactions with external stakeholders at various levels of seniority (e.g. from Minister of Health down to logistics officers)
- The job holder is anticipated to have persuasive skills and interact with a variety of disciplines / functions within and outside of the organization.
- He/she will regularly be required to give formal ‘hard-sell’ presentations to audiences with support of Medical, who may have decision making authority.
- Ability to be perceived rapidly as a trusted partner and act as focal person within GSK
- Ensure monitoring of the changes affecting stakeholders landscape and engage new stakeholders immediately to ensure real time access to information
- Ministry of Health / EPI (Expanded Program on Immunization), Ministry of Finance / Budget
- Local Distributors
- GSK Bio and GSK Export teams (Supranational, Medical, Finance, Supply Chain / Customer services, Tender Pricing & Operations, Regulatory, Legal…)
- Inter-Agency Coordinating Committee (ICC) and National Technical Advisory Groups (NITAG)
- NGOs / Supranational local representative offices (UNICEF, WHO,…)
- Pediatric Associations and Key Opinion Leaders
- Ability to engage across a complex Region and cover >20 countries in French, English (Portuguese) in an African setting
- Lead activities to defend GSK interests that represent approximately 20-30 mio GBP on an annual basis
- Operate in different socio-economic settings (e.g. Least Developed Countries, GAVI countries, Middle Income Countries…) in countries where GSK is retaining virtually no physical presence
- Capable of interacting with Global Functions in Bio and GSK Export
- Major impact on public health, GSK’s access agenda and reputation (e.g. number of lives saved,…)
- Build trust with key stakeholders (internal and external)
- Unlock new national immunization program opportunities and deliver volume / value growth
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online