Stanbic IBTC Bank Recruitment for Litigation Officer, 26th Sept., 2019
Stanbic IBTC Bank is a leading African banking group focused on emerging markets globally. It has been a mainstay of South Africa’s financial system for 150 years, and now spans 16 countries across the African continent.
Standard Bank is a firm believer in technical innovation, to help us guarantee exceptional client service and leading edge financial solutions. Our growing global success reflects our commitment to the latest solutions, the best people, and a uniquely flexible and vibrant working culture. To help us drive our success into the future, we are looking for resourceful individuals to join our dedicated team at our offices.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Litigation Officer
Job ID: 43478
Location: Lagos Island
Job Sector: Banking
- Legal: guidance across all areas and geographies to ensure: every transaction is appropriately negotiated, documented and implemented, losses arising from litigation are minimised, and legal issues carrying negative reputational consequences are avoided.
- To work directly with the Litigation Team to fulfil their role of managing the litigation portfolio of the HoldCo and other subsidiaries.
- In addition to this, the incumbent is expected to ensure that support the legal risk management function for the HoldCo and other subsidiaries.
- Liaison with external Solicitors and monitoring their handling of litigation involving the Group or any of its subsidiaries.
- Attendance at court sessions with the Group’s witnesses and to keep a watching brief.
- Attendance at meetings with Clients and their Solicitors aimed at achieving amicable resolution of issues in dispute between the Group and the Clients notwithstanding pending litigation.
- Managing the Group’s compliance with court orders including Garnishee Proceedings.
- Processing payment of fees and reimbursements to Solicitors handling litigation matters on behalf of the Group.
- Providing legal opinion on sundry issues.
- Review and vetting of court processes and pleadings served on the Group/its subsidiaries and those to be filed on behalf of the Group/its subsidiaries.
- Preparing letters of instruction to external Solicitors.
- Procuring relevant documentation and information required to support the Group’s processes in litigation.
- Preparing the Group’s witnesses for court sessions and pre-trial conferences
- Functioning as the Group’s witness in relevant litigation cases and/or representing the Group at mediation/dispute resolution sessions.
- Rendition of monthly reports to relevant departments of the Standard Bank Group as well as other reports to other relevant Units on the pending litigation involving the Group
- Ensure that reports to relevant stakeholders are prepared and sent out as and when due or when required.
- Maintain the Litigation Schedules and other relevant schedules of the HoldCo and other subsidiaries.
- Managing Clients complaints referred to the Legal Department on matters which could lead to potential litigation.
- Attendance at law enforcement agencies or regulatory agencies including the Nigerian Police Force, EFCC and providing responses to correspondences and other enquiries from these agencies, etc.
- Debt recovery – issuance of demand letters to defaulting clients and their guarantors as well as handling ancillary issues in respect of debt recovery.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s-in-Law from a university as well as the Nigerian Law School required. Proof of payment of the annual lawyer’s practising fee required.
- 4 – 8 years in the Legal Services Department of a financial institution or a reputable law firm.
- Able to communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Litigation practice
- Banking and relevant regulations
- Banking and regulatory environment.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online