Job at Palladium Group for Operational Support Consultant
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved – and is committed to continuing to improve – economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant, Operational Support to Kebbi State Contributory Health Agency
Project Overview and Role
The Integrated Health Program (IHP) is a USAID-funded five-year project with a mandate to improve health systems, improve access to and increase quality of primary health care in designated states (Kebbi, Bauchi, Sokoto and 2 other states to be determined). IHP is working with state governments to strengthen and advance operationalization of State Health Insurance Schemes toward attainment of universal health coverage. IHP aims to improve the enabling environment for equitable and sustainable health services, supplies, and delivery systems through policy development and implementation, with an emphasis on voluntary, rights-based health programs.
IHP will help public health and policy leaders attach higher priority to their national and sub-national health needs, secure sustainable financing, advance health equity, and monitor policy implementation to ensure gains stay on track. IHP aims to secure long-term enduring change by working with coalitions both inside and outside of health and showing common cause with neglected populations and other development actors. Central elements of IHP revolve around building in country capacity, institutionalizing achievements of past investments, and promoting country ownership of programs and initiatives.
The Kebbi state Government has signed into law, a bill that established the Kebbi State Contributory Healthcare Management Agency (KECHEMA) with the overall goal of ensuring all residents of the state have access to quality and affordable healthcare services with financial and social risk protection. Subsequently the state has developed operational guidelines and benefit packages in readiness for implementation of the Kebbi State Contributory Healthcare Scheme (KECHES). Having established the Agency and its mobilization by the state, Kebbi State is now set to activate a phased implementation plan and has requested IHP to provide technical assistance.
This consultancy aims to provide technical assistance to roll out and operationalize the Kebbi State Health Contributory Management Scheme by embedding an experienced health insurance expert within KECHEMA to guide health insurance technical operations and to build capacity of the team. To support the agency to implement an effective health insurance scheme, the Technical Assistance consultancy will provide technical support towards development and effective execution of technical processes, especially processes contained in the SHIS laws, operational manuals, and other documents as may be required and provide capacity building and hands-on support to the staff of the agency throughout the consultancy period. The IHP work plan contains specific deliverables related to developing an enrolment plan and providing capacity development on claims management and reimbursement functions.
- The consultant is expected to contribute to the successful roll out and operations of the KECHEMA Schemes by working with agency and the Kebbit State Ministry of Health leadership to put in place necessary structures that will guarantee delivery of services to enrolees, ensure continuous quality improvement and capacity building for staff of the agency to implement the scheme.
- The consultant is required to be embedded in Kebbi State functioning directly in the KECHEMA office for the period of consultancy.
The major products and outcomes of this assignment are:
- KECHEMA policy review report detailing goals, objectives, status, challenges, opportunities and recommendations.
- KECHES roll-out plan/roadmap
- A complete package of Operational Guidelines, SOPs and Tools covering core insurance processes including but not limited to:
- Guidelines and Standard Operational Procedures:
- Claims management guidelines
- Integration of vertical programs into health insurance programs
- Reporting requirements
- Enrolment plan
- Equity fund use
- TPA/HIA engagement
- Facility selection and accreditation
- Service level agreements
- Key performance indicators
- Operational Tools:
- Accreditation tool
- Quality Assurance Tool
- encounter/ Utilization Tool
- Claims forms
- Guidelines and Standard Operational Procedures:
- Recommendations for ICT design, scope and requirements
- Performance management system for SHIS operations established
- Enrolment plan for prioritized state sub-population groups
- Monthly update reports
- Final consultancy report.
- Staff capacity building plan and completed skills development training to KECHEMA covering but not limited to accreditation, enrollment, empanelment, provider management, claims management and reimbursement processes
- Availability of a quality management framework for the Scheme
- A good first degree or its equivalent from a reputable University in Medicine, Sciences, Social Sciences, or numerate disciplines such as Actuarial Science, Statistics, Insurance, etc.
- Post graduate qualification in Management, Public Health, Health Management, Health Economics, Insurance or other related fields
- Certification in and/or professional membership of Health, Management and Health Insurance related bodies shall be an added advantage
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience implementing health insurance in Nigeria or related settings.
- Experience working with an HMO that implements a health insurance scheme (preferred).
- Expertise in claims management and reimbursement best practices
- Experience in developing and delivering capacity building workshops on Health insurance implementation
- Experience in developing and executing insurance enrolment plans
- Good understanding of current health financing reform initiatives in Nigeria especially the subnational level;
- Expertise in Health insurance operations
- Experience carrying out similar assignments in Nigeria particularly at the sub-national level.
Required Technical Competencies:
- Familiar with results-based management.
- ICT for Health Insurance operations.
- Knowledgeable of change theories and health system approaches
- Proven success in capacity building through coaching and mentoring.
- Strong and proven English writing skills with experience writing government policy documents, guidelines, etc.)
- Expert in capacity development for Universal Health Coverage (UHC) and social health insurance.
- Analytical skills
- Leadership and coaching skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good communication skills (negotiation, moderation, representation, presentation of results)
- Strong oral and writing skills in English.
Deadline: 15th October, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates/companies should email: email@example.com to request a copy of the full Request for Proposal for this consultancy.
- This is a firm fixed price deliverable-based contract. The consultant is expected to satisfactorily accomplish the deliverables before he/she gets paid for that deliverable.
- Applications submitted through the link above will not be accepted.