Protection Officer Job at Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, and wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Officer
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
Contract type: National contract
- Within the scope of DRC’s Protection projects, the Protection Officer will be responsible for the supervision of the Protection activities and team on his/her axis of responsibility.
- The PO is expected to travel to field office on a regular basis according to the work plan established by the Protection Team Leader/Manager.
- Responsibilities include the management and direct supervision of the Protection assistants (as delegated by the Team leader/manager) operating in his/her axis of responsibility, the supervision of the protection activities, the representation at local coordination meetings, as well as the liaison with key local stakeholders (partners, authorities etc.).
- The PO is also responsible for drafting Protection Monitoring and activity reports (weekly, monthly, ad hoc) based on key finding and achievements.
Axis of Responsibility:
- Chibok-Lassa (Borno State)
- Michika-Madagali (Adamawa)
The PO’s responsibilities include:
- Under the supervision of the Protection Team Leader, ensure timely and qualitative implementation of the Protection activities at field level, in line with DRC and international standards, and donor agreements. Activities include Protection monitoring, Referrals, IPA (Case management), Capacity building, Community Protection intervention, and advocacy efforts
- Represent DRC at local coordination meetings, establish and maintain good working relationship with key stakeholders in areas of responsibilities (I/N/NGO, local authorities, camp officials, etc.)
- Establish good working relationships and high level of communication with the Protection Manager and field assistants
- Supervise, mentor, and develop teams of Protection assistants in field locations, as well as teams of Protection volunteers (including workplan, capacity building, and technical support)
- Draft Protection Monitoring, activity reports, and evidence based advocacy note on a weekly, monthly, and ad hoc basis
- BA./BSc. in relevant field (sociology, social work, psychology, education, counselling, human rights, development studies etc.)
- 2 years of work experience in a humanitarian organization
- 1 years of hands on experience in protection sector
- Experience with remote management will be considered as an advantage
- Excellent communication skills (oral and writing), proven capacity to maintain communication with remote locations
- High reporting skills (excellent writing skills)
- Strong ability to multi-tasks and work independently, attention to details, and high level of proactivity
- Preferred: Previous experience with DRC Protection programming
- Salary and conditions: In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment;
- The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
Deadline: 16th October, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: “Area Programme Manager”.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.