The American University of Nigeria was founded in response to the need for a world-class university in sub-Saharan Africa. The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
The New Foundation School, American University of Nigeria, Yola, is seeking a Psychology Counseling Assistant (Female). This position is for internal applicants as well as external, open to indigenous and/or legal residents of Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Psychology Counseling Assistant (Female)
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Department: Foundation Programs
Summary of Position
- The counseling assistant will be charged with providing students with mental/behavioral health services as part of the NFS Psychology Unit.
- The counselor assistant will support the NFS psychologist and other counseling assistants in providing counseling, crisis intervention/management, and trauma/mental/behavioral services within the scope of her training and education. Candidates are expected to be committed to multi-culturalism, and working with a specialized student body.
- This is a 12-month position and may include evening and/or Saturday hours.
- The counseling assistant will be expected to offer a strong therapeutic relationship for the students by providing effective counseling and supporting students acclimating to treatment.
- She will also be expected to implement clinical directives passed on from the NFS psychologist, and coordinate care among the multidisciplinary team by identifying immediate needs of students.
- The counseling assistant will assist the NFS psychologist with counseling the students, and provide support to the students when needed.
- She will assist with treatment planning and ensuring programmatic integrity.
- Participation in student exercise and social activities
- Strong critical thinking and counseling skills
- Skills using Microsoft Office Packages
- Must be flexible to adapt to changing circumstances at workplace
- Ability to create clinical documents, maintain adequate clinical notes, and assist in creating effective therapeutic programs
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and intercultural communication skills
- Flexibility and creativity to support changing needs of the counseling center
- Collaborate comfortably and professionally with nurses, doctors, students, and staff
Other Requirements, Abilities for the Position:
- Strong passion for counseling and genuinely helping people
- Proactivity in the work environment
- Working efficiently and continuously with a positive attitude
- Flexibility with time as completing certain tasks might involve working overtime
- Good workplace ethics and professionalism
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Exhibit calm and grace under pressure
- Detail-oriented, able to meet deadlines, and accurately work with information/data
- Willing and able to learn and use new treatment modalities
Requirements for the Position
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, or a Mental Health related field from a recognized tertiary.
- Minimum of 3 years of full-time employment in the mental health field, and/or comparable field placement experience preferred.
- Fluent Hausa both oral and written.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of students.
- Clinical or field experience including work with trauma victims or survivors as well as with complex and/or longstanding clinical problems.
- Demonstrate adequate knowledge of trauma, the recovery process, and evidence based treatment modalities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Description of Benefits
- Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Resumes, Cover Letters (required) and references to: email@example.com The position being applied for should be the subject of the email.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.