The West African Health Organisation (WAHO), a specialised institution of ECOWAS, has received grants from the World Bank for the implementation of several projects (REDISSE, SWEDD, SM/NTD and WAMRH) and intends to use part of the REDISSE Project grant to make payments under the contract.
Applications are hereby invited from qualified consultants to express their interest in providing the services below:
Job Title: Individual Consultant – Development of a Strategic Plan for the ECOWAS Member Countries’ Regional Biobank
Location: Bobo- Dioulasso, Burkina Faso
Overarching Objective of the Mission
- The overall objective of the consultation is to develop a strategic plan for the ECOWAS Regional Biobank for the period 2020-2024.
More specifically, the consultant shall:
- Review the regional regulatory framework for strategic orientation of ECOWAS member countries,
- Guide member countries in the establishment of their own National Biobank,
- Assess the training needs of the Regional Biobank staff,
- Assess investment needs,
- Define a Logical Framework as well as Action Plan and Budget estimate for regional priority actions over 5 years (2020-2024),
- Review the technical, institutional and material constraints for the operationalization of the Regional Biobank,
- Develop a detailed roadmap and action plan to ensure the functionality of the RBB,
- Conduct a cost and risk analysis of the Regional Biobank,
- Define detailed monitoring and evaluation mechanisms.
Mission Commencement Date and Duration
- Duration of Mission: 90 days. Commencement Date: January- February 2020.
- Must have at least 15 years’ experience in the field of laboratories, particularly in the development of biosafety or biosecurity policies and standards,
- Must have proven experience in genomics, bioethics research,
- Have proven experience in managing a Biobank,
- Must have sound knowledge of the context of Public Health Laboratory Systems in West Africa,
- Must have proven oral and written communication skills including writing scientific reports and articles,
- Must be able to work in a multinational environment, with a variety of partners at national, regional and global levels,
- Must have time management skills, including the ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple tasks at a time with a high degree of autonomy,
- Must have a command of at least one official language in the ECOWAS region; a command of another ECOWAS language would be an advantage,
- Must have excellent skills in information and communication technology.
Content of the EOI
Interested individual consultants must provide:
- A letter of expression of interest,
- A detailed, dated and signed Curriculum Vitae highlighting qualifications and experience in carrying out similar assignments, as well as references for possible checks,
- Signed financial proposal to carry Out the mission.
- The consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures for the selection of individual consultants as set out in the World Banks Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by the World Bank Borrowers (ed. January 2011, revised in July 2014) available on the World Bank web site http://www.worldbank.org.
Deadline: 11.00 a.m (GMT); 14th November, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates/consultants should submit their Expression of Interest (EOI) with the reference “Recruiting one Consultant to Develop ECOWAS’ Regional Biobank Strategic Plan” written on the envelope to:
The West Afriean Health Organization (WAHO) Secretariat,
01 BP153 Bobo-Dioulasso 01,
Avenue Ouezzin COULIBALy.
Send by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Interested consultants may access the TORs on WAHO’s website at: w3.wahooas.org.
- They may also get additional information on reference materials from the address stated above and on the following working days and office hours: Monday to Friday between 8 am and 4pm.