Job for TB Public, Private Mix Facilitator Consultant – SHOPS Plus at Abt Associates
Abt Associates – The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance – as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: TB Public, Private Mix Facilitator Consultant – SHOPS Plus
Locations: Ekiti, Kwara, Bayelsa, Ebonyi, Katsina, Jigawa, Zamfara, Kebbi, Gombe, Bauchi, Taraba, Adamawa, Yobe, Borno, or the FCT
Slot: 15 Openings
Contract: Sustaining Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS) Plus
Reports to: SHOPS Plus Hub State Project Officer
Dates: December 2019 – August 2020
- The World Health Organization declared Nigeria a high burden country for tuberculosis (TB), multidrug-resistant TB (MDR-TB), and TB-HIV, in part because of its low case detection rate. Improvements in TB case notification would contribute to an easing of Nigeria’s TB burden while also preventing the further spread of the disease. To improve case notification, Nigeria’s National Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control Programme (NTBLCP) is working to ensure that high-quality TB screening, diagnosis, and treatment services are available in both public and private sector health facilities.
- In support of these goals, the USAID-funded Sustaining Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS) Plus program is working across Nigeria to increase TB case detection and treatment through private sector approaches. In line with the International Standards for TB Care and Nigeria’s National Strategic Plan (NSP) for TB Control, SHOPS Plus is mandated to increase TB case notification by ensuring high-quality TB care through the entire TB service provision cascade in the public-private mix (PPM) settings. SHOPS Plus aims to increase the systematic screening of OPD attendees in clinical facilities and walk-in clients in stand-alone laboratories, community pharmacies (CPs), and patent and proprietary medicine vendor (PPMV) outlets. TB case detection will increase in private facilities with the prompt identification of presumptive TB, access to high-quality diagnostic services, and prompt treatment of diagnosed TB patients.
- To rapidly scale up and maintain the coverage of high quality TB services in the private sector in 14 states and the FCT, SHOPS Plus will engage private facility leadership and strengthen technical and program support to select private sector facilities. Program support will include mentoring of clinicians and other facility staff, closely monitoring TB service provision and reporting, and identifying and removing bottlenecks to TB detection and treatment.
Objectives and Summary of Program Support through the TB PPM Facilitator
- SHOPS Plus seeks to engage two Public-Private Mix (PPM) Facilitators for each of the 14 states and Federal Capital Territory listed above.
- The consultants will effectively engage facility leadership and provide additional supervision to private providers providing TB services within the state in which they are located.
- The PPM Facilitators will support the SHOPS Plus State Coordinators and Project Officers to promptly identify and flag non-performance, report challenges, and help to institute effective solutions.
The following are objectives of the TB PPM Facilitators:
- Ensure full coverage of the TB service provision cascade: The PPM Facilitators will ensure systematic screening of OPD attendees in clinical facilities and walk-in clients in labs, CPs and PPMV outlets; support the identification of presumptive TB and prompt diagnosis and effective treatment of diagnosed TB cases in clinical facilities.
- Provide on-the-job mentoring to private facilities: The TB PPM Facilitators will maintain constant presence in private facilities, to ensure that private providers are adequately skilled in providing high quality TB services.
- Ensure data quality: The TB PPM Facilitators will ensure data quality before monthly reporting by carrying out data monitoring and monthly data verification. They will work with the Hub Project Officers and the Hub M&E Officer to support in data quality assurance activities.
- Engage Facility Leadership: The TB PPM Facilitators will be adequately skilled to effectively engage facility leadership to improve TB service delivery in each facility. The TB PPM Facilitators’ skills will enable them to promptly identify challenges, institute solutions and call for support when necessary.
- Identify and flag non-performance: The TB PPM Facilitators will provide an extra layer of supervision that will enable prompt identification of provider non-performance and appropriate corrective action.
- Provide technical support to Local Government TB Supervisors: The TB-PPM Facilitators will provide technical assistance to the LGA TBL Supervisors and ensure achievement of program objectives.
- Strengthen collaboration between public and private stakeholders: The TB-PPM Facilitators are positioned to coordinate TB stakeholders at the LGA level and assist in programmatic coordination with public and private TB stakeholders as it relates to direct service delivery.
The TB PPM Facilitators are expected to perform, but are not limited to, the following tasks:
- Ensure systematic screening of 80% of OPD attendees in assigned clinical facilities and walk-in clients in labs, CPs and PPMV outlets.
- Identify and flag non-performance to ensure prompt action and institution of effective performance improvement steps.
- Promptly identify and resolve challenges encountered in program implementation and escalate timely when necessary.
- Provide technical support to LGA TB Supervisors and ensure effective public-private collaboration as it relates to direct service delivery.
- Contribute to communication, advocacy and knowledge management tasks including documentation and program report writing.
- Monitor the TB services cascade at the facility level and report via Aggregate Weekly TB Cascade Data Template; identify, remove and document bottlenecks that may hamper achievements of targets.
- Ensure availability of M&E tools in all facilities and ensure accurate data recording and reporting; monitor daily data output, verify data before monthly reporting, and assist M&E team in conducting data quality assurance as required.
- Effectively engage facility leadership to identify and remove bottlenecks.
- Mentor clinicians and facility staff, provide on-site training and step-down training to ensure high-quality TB services.
Timeframe and Level of Effort:
- The TB PPM Facilitators will provide direct technical assistance to facility staff and complete deliverables outlined below. The initial period of engagement will be nine months from December 2019 – August 2020.
- Report on Daily Screening Log in assigned facilities
- Report on TB Cascade data for assigned facilities
- Fill and submit Aggregate Weekly TB Cascade Data
- Conduct data quality assessment before and after monthly reporting
- Submit weekly activity reports for all facilities supported.
- Bachelor’s (BS) or Master’s (MS) degree in Health Management, Public Health, Health Administration, or other relevant field.
- Four years (BS) or three years (MS) of relevant work experience, especially with TB or other infectious diseases
- Experience with private sector health service delivery at the provincial and/or district level
- Ability to write technical papers and reports
- Strong abilities to implement capacity building activities, training and workshops
- Ability to assess problems and develop solutions
- Computer skills in MS Windows, Excel, and Word
- Ability to travel within the designated state approximately 50% of the time
- Excellent organizational skills and oral and written communications skills in English
- Previous experience in TB projects with USAID funding or other donor agencies preferred.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application Letter and CV to: NigeriaJobs@abtassoc.com
- Be sure to put, “DESIRED LOCATION – SHOPS Plus Nigeria – TB Public Consultant Application” in the subject line of your email. For example, if you were applying to work in Ekiti, your subject line would read: EKITI – SHOPS Plus Nigeria – TB Public Consultant Application. If you would like to apply to more than one location, please submit an application for each location desired.
- Be sure to include your CV and any other relevant information in your email application.
- You must attach a CV or your application will not be considered for employment.