The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Editor, Pidgin Service
Job Reference: BBC/TP/590126/45315
Contract Type: Permanent -Full Time
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
Department: Pidgin Language Service
Reports to: Head of West Africa
- Africa’s media landscape is changing. It is one of the fastest developing news markets in the world with mobile technology transforming lives, internet connectivity increasing, the radio market remaining relatively strong and Television migrating from analogue to digital.
- The BBC World Service remains the leading international broadcaster in Africa, reaching a weekly audience of more than 100 million across all platforms and Social Media. Globally, the BBC reaches a weekly audience of 320 million weekly across various platforms.
- The BBC World Service has expanded its multimedia operations in Africa by doubling the number of language services from 6 to 12.
- Three of the new language services, Pidgin, Yoruba and Igbo, serve our audiences in Nigeria and West Africa. They are based in Lagos, working alongside our operation in Abuja from where the BBC currently produces its Hausa service output. There is a strong emphasis on reaching and connecting with young audiences. The BBC is looking for an excellent senior journalist to be the Editor of the Pidgin Language Service to deliver a dynamic range of digital, audio and video content.
Required Skills & Experience
- Fluency and up to date knowledge of written and spoken Pidgin and English
- Either a professional journalist or a senior operational professional with extensive editorial experience of digital news and the ability to develop and implement new and innovative approaches to news structure and content
- A good understanding of the media landscape in Nigeria and other parts of West Africa that extensively use Pidgin language
- Proven editorial judgement and flair, able to make sound decisions quickly
- A detailed understanding of the latest techniques and technology for newsgathering and production. An ability to use new technologies to create opportunities to enhance output and improve working practices
- Ability to work effectively as a member of more than one team. Resolving conflicts as necessary
- Can identify a vision along with the plans which need to be implemented to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, issues etc. in the short, medium and longer-term
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences can benefit the BBC
- Able to prioritise and plan activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing, budgets and resource requirements
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output Maintains personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy
- A thorough knowledge of the BBC’s Guidelines (including Health & Safety) and the editorial considerations and values relating to BBC
- Track record of leading a team of more than 20 people
- You will report to the Head of West Africa and also work closely with other senior editorial figures in BBC World Service. As the Editor, you will provide creative leadership and vision, to maximise the Pidgin language Service’s impact and potential in Nigeria and other parts of West Africa, taking into account the changing media conditions in the target area. You will approve content, ensuring that BBC editorial guidelines are adhered to consistently. You will manage teams and resources, taking responsibility for ensuring that all output is delivered creatively and on schedule.
- The successful candidate will have substantial experience in a senior journalistic role within a media environment. Fluent in Pidgin and English (written and spoken), you will have experience of delivering output on media platforms. An excellent knowledge of local, regional and international news and current affairs is essential.
- You will have recent experience of living in the target area, including a good understanding of the complexities of Nigeria.
- A good appreciation of the media situation in Nigeria and the wider target area, and how it is developing with the ability to anticipate changes in the market is essential. Experience of managing budgets is required. You must have work authorisation for Nigeria.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies:
- Editorial Judgement: Demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of BBC editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and department objectives. Makes the right editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views where necessary. Aability to take public comments on board and to make appropriate editorial changes to content.
- Creative Thinking: Able to transform creative ideas into practical reality. Evidence of innovation and the ability to devise creative solutions by developing novel ideas or adapting existing ones in new ways. Evidence of a desire to create beautiful, quality content.
- Planning and organisation: Able to think ahead in order to establish and efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
- Communication: Able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information. As well as the ability to motivate and deal sensitively with people who may be working to tight deadlines
- Influencing and persuading: Able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Managing relationships and team working: Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with the ability to work with other teams in developing tools, features and services.
- Developing Others: Able to recognise potential (managerial, professional, artistic or otherwise) and is willing to foster the development of that potential. Creates a climate in which potential can be realised.
- Resilience: Manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Flexibility: Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
Deadline: 17th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online