Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and nonchurch partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Construction Assistant
Job Ref Code: CRT81119
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports To: Construction Engineer
- The Construction Assistant will be working under the leadership and guidance of the WASH/Shelter Infrastructure Team Lead, accountable for professional technical contribution and supervision of construction and rehabilitation activity implementation within the framework of the Northeast emergency response program.
Qualifications and Skills
Typical Background, Education Experience & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree/HND in Civil Engineering, Building Technology, Architecture or technical related fields with rich field experience.
- Minimum of one-year experience in field level construction supervision.
- Good English language skills (verbal and written)
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where network may be limited.
- Effective inter-personal skills, consensus-building.
- Planning and organization skills and analytical approach
- Demonstrated experience of integrity and professionalism
- Good experience with contractor supervision, management and evaluation.
- Good Knowledge of Nigerian construction standards, codes and regulations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software applications (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook Access).
- Proficiency with AUTOCAD engineering design software application.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Previous experience of work in the humanitarian sector
- Strong customer service orientation with good communication and interpersonal skills
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
- Hausa and Kanuri languages are added advantage
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and local economy
- Good time management skills with ability to multitask
Specific Job Responsibilities
- Provide support to the Construction Engineer in executing technical assessment of proposed infrastructure for rehabilitation.
- Support the development of Bills of Quantities (BoQs), technical drawings, and tender documents
- Provide input into the development of site work plans to ensure adequate technical compliance with construction specifications in the field.
- Provide leadership for CRS Construction Forepersons in the field to promote effective contractor supervision and management in the field
- Ensure up-to-date and daily management of infrastructure construction and rehabilitation activities and provide line manager with periodic progress reports
- Follow up with contractors in ensuring health, safety and environment component of the construction sites are adequately implemented.
- Work closely with Construction Forepersons to provide technical expertise (e.g. mentoring, monitoring, construction, assessments) in construction and contractor supervision on all field sites.
- Provide technical guidance to forepersons to utilize infrastructure quality/monitoring tools
- Security management responsibilities:
- Abide by the security procedures and policies and report any breaches.
- Participate in personal safety training as required.
- Perform other relevant tasks as assigned.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the “CRS Application Form” using the link below, fill and send with a detailed Resume as one document (in a PDF Format) indicating “Position” being applied for and the “Job Ref Code” as the subject of the application application (e.g. Construction Assistant, CRT81119) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to Download Application Form (Drop-box)
Click Here for Job Details (Drop-box)
Equal Employer Opportunity:
“CRS is an equal –opportunity employer, does not discriminate based on race, color, religion and we are committed to gender sensitive programming and management’. etc.
Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Statement of Commitment to Protection:
‘’CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation’’
Application Deadline 14th November, 2019; (COB, 5:00pm),