FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: State Technical Advisor for Teaching and Learning
Locations: Kano and Kaduna, Nigeria
Job Type: Full time
- The State Technical Advisor for Teaching and Learning heads the strategic team that directs the Output 1 and related monitoring of PLANE in the assigned State. H/She is responsible for overseeing strategic and day-to-day implementation of activities in the State.
- The STL will provide supervision and guidance to the state team and other shared services personnel. H/She is responsible for the state educational program planning, implementation, monitoring, and reporting of the activities implemented by FHI 360 and its partners in the assigned States.
- H/She will work closely with the Project Lead to ensure implementation is closely aligned with the overall project objectives. H/She will also be accountable for judicious use of all resources entrusted with FHI 360 in the assigned State.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Advanced degree in Education or its recognized equivalent with 6 – 9 years of relevant experience with international development programs. Demonstrated success in multicultural environments is required. At least 5-8 years’ experience in education reform with a focus on primary education sector work in teacher education.
- Demonstrated ability to work with government, partners and/or local government structures and schools’ settings. Proven expertise in mother tongue (L1), early grade reading instruction and/or assessment and reading material development, preferably in Hausa Language.
- Has ability to coordinate reading interventions, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities
- Strong leadership qualities and facilitation skills, experience in working with teachers to improve practice
- Experience in project reporting
- Has ability to coordinate teacher training interventions, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities.
- Proficient writing and verbal communication skills.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of education and development programming in a developing country.
- Proven ability to coordinate a development project.
- Working knowledge of major donor policies as well as international not-for- profit organizations.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding literacy and educational programs implementation.
- Excellent community mobilization, advocacy and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to organize systems to monitor administrative and implementation results.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills with ability to work as a team member.
- Ability to plan and prioritize own work under tight deadlines, as well as to work on own initiative and as a member of a team.
- Relevant computer software and internet skills (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office).
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English. The ability to speak Hausa Language is an added advantage.
- Ability to travel a minimum of 25%.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support state level development of implementation strategies, work plans, and coordinate the day-to-day management of technical staff and program implementation and coordination with the other outputs.
- Work with the state implementation team and technical specialists in relevant departments to establish effective program planning, implementation and monitoring in the state, LGEAs and schools.
- Provide overall supervision for all state output 1 and monitoring office staff and ensure compliance with technical, programmatic, contractual and financial requirements set by FHI 360 and its donors.
- Responsible for the overall management and coordination of FHI 360 activities at the state, LGEA and school levels.
- Serve as the point of contact of FHI 360 with state government officials and coordinate and collaborate with all public sector and NGO partners in the state.
- Coordinate the implementation of all teacher professional development workshops, Community of Practice meeting and implementation of all Master trainers’ workshops.
- Liaise with government agencies and schools to maximize opportunity for enabling policy, sustainability and ownership for the PLANE intervention in the state.
- Ensure planned program activities in the state are from the work plans, within budget and are properly documented.
- Ensure the state coordination of weekly, quarterly and annual program updates, reports and success stories.
- Promote a team approach and a learning culture in the state program support team to ensure responsive and quality support to delivery programs.
- Ensure consistent implementation of the project with adherence to donor policies and procedures across all operational support services.
- Provide on-going problem-solving guidance for program staff on issues related to operational functions.
- Ensure close collaboration with other relevant IPs in the State Represent the Project in meetings and events.
- Ensure that all FHI 360 assets and other resources are effectively managed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403 (b) retirement plan
- Pension plan
Other benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: The above job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.