The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
Location: Praia, Cabo Verde
Institution: Ecowas Commission
Grade: P3 / P4
Agency: ECOWAS Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency – Ecreee
Departement: Energy and Mines
Directorate: Energy and Mines
Division: Office of the Executive Director
Line Supervisor: Executive Director
- The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer is expected to play the cross-cutting function of guiding the planning of program results, and the monitoring and evaluation of progress towards achievement of those results across the organization
- With support from the Office of Executive Director, the M&E Officer provides general leadership, sets standards and maintains oversight of ECREEE’s entire monitoring and evaluation function
- The M&E is a core member of the agency’s strategic plan implementation committee, ensuring that overall performance is measured and adequately disseminated.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Coordinate planning, monitoring and evaluation of programmes and projects;
- Periodically update existing procedures for projects performance monitoring and evaluation, and champion their use by programme officers and other related staff;
- Provide technical and coordinate administrative support to external evaluators to conduct planned evaluations;
- Lead the reporting of results to ECREEE management, Board and ECOWAS Commission;
- Identify M&E capacity needs within ECREEE and, design and deliver, and/or recommend external capacity building opportunities, and
- Conduct any related tasks assigned by the Executive Director.
- Lead the development of plans for monitoring and evaluation of projects;
- Support programme officers to monitor implementation of projects’ performance;
- Coordinate periodic performance reviews of projects;
Academic Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Development Economics, Sociology, Statistics, Public Administration, Management, or Other Social Sciences from a recognized university;
- 5 years of relevant experience in strategic planning, monitoring, evaluation;
- Knowledge of the Result Based Management approach to planning, monitoring, evaluation of development interventions;
- Knowledge of rules, policies, and guidelines of development partners;
- Professional technical knowledge/expertise in collect and data analysis.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies:
- Ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- Ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Ability to respect the chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
- Ability to utilize the Code of Ethics to manage self, others, information, and resources;
- Ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues, and the subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance.
- Contribute to maintaining organizational unit’s performance goals and standards.
- Interpersonal skills with the ability to keep key stakeholders informed about progress or setbacks, paying attention to timelines and, quality work;
- Ability to proactively interact with clients and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect and regular discussions;
- Ability to establish and sustain professional credibility with clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need, mitigates issues and that carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
- Ability to encourage, empower, and advocate for people in an unbiased and transparent manner.
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS internal operational requirements of programs, projects, services and systems required to achieve work assignments and meet performance goals;
- Knowledge of rules and procedures of ECOWAS associated assigned responsibilities and ability to explain these clearly to others;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS culture, structures and performance issues and priorities impacting assigned responsibilities;
- Knowledge of member states development trends, indicators, challenges, and opportunities as it relates to project / programme assigned to own position.
- Ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends, and issues, present findings, and make recommendations;
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- Identify, organize and monitor tasks throughout to facilitate execution;
- Ability to contribute and/or lead on projects as per accepted project management standards and techniques, to co-ordinate contributions by others to set and meet deadlines;
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators, and risks;
- Ability to formulate results, identify/construct indicators, and lead the determination of targets and collect indicator data to monitor performance and to take proactive remedial action as required.
- Ability to break down problems or processes into key parts to identify and solve gaps in service, quality assurance, compliance and performance targets;
- Ability to counsel, advise, consult and guide others on matters pertaining to assigned responsibilities and established client service standards;
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness, and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race, and religion;
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- Ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact, and diplomacy;
- Ability to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply techniques to generate creative ideas and new approaches to meeting goals;
- Ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees.
- Demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and web-based data management;
- Ability to make sound use of graphics and tables to effectively present numerical data to write semi-complex technical reports/proposals and edit/check templates, letters, etc.
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means;
- Exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
UA37,651.28, USD 59,406.19 / UA 44,032.04, USD 69,473.75
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly; attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to download Application Form (Ms Word)
Application Deadline 30th January, 2020.