Media Trust Limited is the publisher of Daily Trust and other newspaper titles. They are also into commercial printing as well as Brand Marketing Research for the purpose of identifying new opportunities for business values. Each market research report delivers insight across a wide range of crucial factors such as market size, growth drivers, competitive landscape, trends, and forecasts.
We are desirous of recruiting a competent, self-motivated and result-oriented candidate to fill the position below:
Job Title: Business Editor
- The ideal candidate will lead a team of reporters to produce cutting edge reports and analysis of business events, trends and personalities
- The Job holder will perform a variety of editorial duties, such as editing, laying out, and revising content of written materials, in preparation for publication.
Qualification and Experience
- Minimum of a Degree in Mass Communication, Journalism Economics or Business. A Master’s Degree in Economics will be an advantage.
- Minimum of 8 years proven journalism experience with at least 4 years at a middle editorial position.
- Membership of relevant professional bodies is important.
Skills and Competencies:
- Rich professional experience in editorial work;
- Ability to reduce complex ideas to simple and easy to follow stories
- Understands the structure and content of the English Language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar
- Knowledgeable about media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Has knowledge of business, financial, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the business politics.
- Computer literate and knowledgeable about Microsoft Office Suite;
- Has a business drive, ability to work in a fast-paced environment, is flexible and has a “hands-on” approach.
- Digital proficiency to be able to produce stories for online.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the business team to plan and execute effective coverage of local and international business stories.
- Prepare, rewrite and edit business stories, reports, interviews and features
- Supervising and monitoring of business reporters.
- Plan the contents of business pages in according to the Media Trust style and editorial policy.
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- Review and approve news story submitted by reporters, prior to publication.
- Develop stories and content ideas, considering readers and audience appeal.
- Answer to different title editors who commission on the business desk for specific stories/analysis.
- Assign topics, events and stories to individual reporters for coverage.
- Read, evaluate and edit manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confer with the Editor Daily Trust regarding changes in content or publication.
- Monitor news-gathering operations to ensure utilisation of all news sources, such as press releases, telephone contacts, radio, television, wire services, and other reporters.
- Meet frequently with business departments to strategize on revenue generations to the company;
- Select local, state, national, and international news items received from wire services, based on assessment of items’ significance and interest value;
- Any other duty assigned.
Deadline: 17th December, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: