Job Opportunities at RTI International, 6th December, 2019
RTI International is an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition. With a worldwide staff of more than 5,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and multidisciplinary services.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Performance Monitoring Specialist
- The Performance Monitoring Specialist will report directly to the MEL Advisor and shall be responsible for monitoring all State level E-WASH activities including developing monitoring/progress reports and supporting quarterly/annual reports collation (e.g. quarterly SWB and Utility progress reports), routinely upload field-based data to E-WASH Integrated Database Management System (IDMS) and provide timely Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) updates for onward reporting to USAID MEL Performance Reporting System (PRS).
- PMS will support the conduct of targeted state-specific field-based studies and research assessments to inform the development of KM/ Learning products. The PMS will actively collaborate with other members of the MEL team (i.e. Senior MIS Specialist and Senior Media and Communications Specialist); designated STTA MEL Specialists and work alongside members of the E-WASH state program team.
- Monitor and work closely with the MEL Advisor and other team members to implement the programs MEL plan and systems.
- Support data collection, analysis, and interpretation. Work with utility M&E departments to review and adjust targets on a quarterly basis with the Department Managers for four quarters after the initial implementation of the Performance Improvement Plans (PIPs).
- Build capacity of program partners and transfer this responsibility gradually to the SWB and CSO M&E departments/personnel.
- Support the development of learning/KM products to highlight key research findings, implementation lessons and best practices identified during E-WASH program implementation;
- Facilitate the implementation of effective program MEL mechanisms on grants reporting, generating Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) reports for State Water Boards (SWBs) and Utilities including Civil Society Organization (CSO) monitoring to inform onward performance reporting to USAID.
- Work closely with respective E-WASH program and partner staffs to ensure timely upload of performance reporting data; robust grants monitoring and document reviews of SWB Performance Improvement Plans (PIPs) benchmarking procedures.
- Work closely with the State Team Leader to identify issues in the state program and agree on the redress.
- Lead on activity monitoring, performance improvement, learning and adaptive management in the State.
- Actively participate in specialists’ meetings to ensure adherence to the set indicators and provide technical oversight.
- Collaborate with the Senior MIS Specialist to conduct field-based assessments and evaluations i.e. Data Quality Assessments (DQA), Collaboration Mapping, Updating Pivot Logs, Rapid Political Economy Analysis (PEA) and other rolling assessments to inform program learning and adaptive management measures.
- Ensure compliance with E-WASH Data Risk Mitigation Strategy and work alongside the MEL Manager and designated STTA/USAID representatives to conduct data quality assessments for performance indicators.
- Conduct of routine field visits and spot checks to support surveys (Household and GIS mapping) as well as inform the development of program reports i.e. Key Performance Indicators (KPI) reports, Grants Monitoring Reports (GMRs), Activity Monitoring Reports (AMRs) etc.
- Identify potential research areas of interests related to E-WASH program focus and work to develop evidence-based articles and publications.
- Handle additional ad-hoc responsibilities as assigned by the MEL Advisor or required by the E-WASH program.
- A Masters or Bachelors Degree in Social Science or a related field.
- A minimum of Masters degree and 1 year of experience in measuring and evaluating governance or WASH-related programme or Bachelors degree and 3 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience in measuring and evaluating governance or WASH-related programming.
- Experience working on donor funded projects especially USAID would be beneficial.
- Familiarity with robust grants reporting protocols (for CSEF grantees) and mobile data collection apps/tools (i.e. Kobo Tool Box, Magpi, CAPI, FS Mobile) for effective performance monitoring of donor funded projects.
- Strong technical skills in data management, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E), survey and questionnaire design, household surveys and mapping, and/or conducting field-based assessment is required.
- Experience with mobile based data collection tools and grantee reporting is desirable. Skilled proficiency in Excel, Word, and other Microsoft (MS) Office software; data analysis software (such as Excel, SPSS or Stata).
- Experience in knowledge management and communications for outcome reporting including conducting research focused studies and assessments as a basis for developing learning/KM products (i.e. fact sheets, newsletters, outcome journals.
- Knowledge of USAID’s Collaboration, Learning and Adaptation (CLA) approach is beneficial;
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Possess excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Possess excellent oral and written communications skills in English.
- Ability to perform effectively as a part of a diverse team of professionals.
Job Title: Urban Wash Utility Expert
Locations: Delta, Imo, Niger, Sokoto, Taraba
Duration: 50 days
- The Effective Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (E-WASH) project seeks to recruit five (5) local Urban Water and Sanitation (WASH) Utility Experts to provide short-term technical assistance to support the implementation of state-level water and sanitation service improvement plans (SIPs) in five states (Delta, Imo, Niger, Sokoto, Taraba) as well as recommendations and next steps from the assessments of water production facilities, water quality management and water distribution carried out in the five SWBs.
- Each Expert will be based in one of the five (5) states of intervention—Delta, Imo, Niger, Sokoto, or Taraba. The Expert will work with a counterpart E-WASH International WASH Utility Specialist.
- The Urban WASH Utility Expert will be responsible for the following key tasks, to include, but not limited to:
- Support senior technical assistance and leadership to implement the recommendations of E-WASH water production assessments and to meet SWB technical performance targets for water production, water treatment, water distribution, water quality management, etc.
- Deliver hands-on training for counterpart SWB staff and E-WASH technical specialists on routine water production, supply and treatment (including water quality monitoring and management).
- Work towards ensuring that water production increases from current 30% or zero in some states to 60% and 30% respectively.
- Help review the NRW strategy and ensure that it is implemented with support from the USF and other innovations.
- Support assessment any existing District Metering Areas (DMAs) and provide recommendations for improvements and where possible, scaling up.
- Support the SWBs to ensure that the laboratories are fully operational in terms of staffing, equipment, chemicals and monitoring.
- Work with the technical staff in the utility to design daily schedules as stated in the SIP & state work plans.
- Review the Utility Support Fund (USF) proposal and provide needed inputs towards emergency repairs and small-scale improvements to increase operational efficiency.
- Help supervise the implementation of the USF in the state while building capacity of the utility staff to do same.
- Coordinate with the E-WASH Utility Technical Specialists in the states and the USF Manager in Abuja in assuring that under the USF, Request for Quotations for items have all the right specifications.
- Help the SWBs to develop investment plans targeted at establishing new connections for increased water access in the state.
- Provide technical input and support to the SWBs on all upcoming E-WASH technical activities such as network mapping and asset management.
- Work closely with the E-WASH International WASH Utility Specialist to develop harmonized plans based on field-based findings.
Objectives of the Assignment:
- The overall objective of the assignment is to have the Urban WASH Utility Expert:
- Make significant progress based on technical performance milestones and indicator targets for operational and management performance of the State utilities.
- Build capacity of the utility counterparts and E-WASH Technical Specialists towards water production, supply and treatment in relation to the USF and E-WASH Service Improvement Plans (SIPs).
- Support in the development and implementation of Non-Revenue Water (NRW) strategies.
- Support the installation, training, and implementation of USF investments and planning for additional milestones and investments.
Qualifications and Experience
- The Consultant should have at least Master’s Degree in Water Engineering/ Civil Engineering (or Mechanical, Electrical or Environmental) /Business Management or related field.
- At least 10 years of experience working on utility performance improvements, and particularly in the areas of utility management, safe water production, operational efficiency, corporatization, and improved service delivery, preferably with low performing water utilities.
- Proven experience in performance monitoring of utilities, including the oversight and/or management of performance data collection, data quality/data control, indicator reporting and analysis, metrics, and performance reporting.
- Knowledge of environmental best practices, especially in civil works, water quality, water supply and water resources.
- Knowledge of political economy of Nigeria and the work environment especially as it relates to utility management
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken, and able to produce concise, high quality technical reports with all necessary documentation, pictures and infographics.
- Understanding of the local language spoken in any of these 5 states is preferred but not compulsory
- Experience in urban sanitation reform is preferred, but not compulsory
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills.
We offer a highly competitive remuneration.
Deadline: 12th December, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit by e-mail only an Application Letter and a CV as ONE SINGLE WORD document to: STTA@ewash.rti.org using the Job Title and indicating the State of choice e.g. Urban WASH Utility Expert (Delta) or Urban WASH Utility Expert (Imo)
- On the subject line of your e-mail, you should only put the e-mail subject line as indicated above (no other text should be on this subject line)
- Interested Consultants are encouraged to apply as soon as they see this advert
- Only shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation for negotiations.
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.