University of Nigeria, Nsukka invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for the position of:
Job Title: University Librarian
Advert Reference: UNP/SSR.37/4/LIB
- The University Librarian is a Principal Officer in the University, and is responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the administration of the University of Nigeria Library, which:
- Houses a collection of over a million books and journals titles in addition to inestimable volumes of online information resources and database (i.e. e-book, e-journals, etc.);
- Has an online Public Access Catalogue and Online Library Catalogue that provide access to information resources that are internally and remotely located;
- Provides consultancy services to staff and students in different Faculties and Departments of the University;
- Has an institutional repository of the University’s theses, dissertations and staff publications;
- Has over ten (10) thousand microfilm items;
- Co-ordinates all the library activities in the University system;
- Plays critical roles in implementing the vision and mission of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
- The University Librarian is also responsible for co-ordination of library services in the University and its Campuses, Colleges, Faculties, Schools, Departments, Centres and other teaching or research Units.
- Candidates for the post of University Librarian must possess good University honours degree plus professional qualification in librarianship, Ph.D. in Library and Information Science.
- Membership of relevant professional bodies will be an advantage.
- Candidate must also show evidence of considerable scholarship and thorough understanding of the applications of new technologies to library operations and services. Computer literacy and operation of ICT in library services is an essential requirement.
- In addition, the candidates must show sufficient evidence of contribution to knowledge through research and scholarly publications in reputable, peer-reviewed and published in highly visible journals indexed by major indexing bodies within and outside Nigeria; competence in job planning, organisation and highly visionary and strategic thinking; strong team building ability and good leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Candidates must have a minimum of fifteen (15) years of cognate experience in a University Library. At least, ten (10) of the fifteen (15) years must have been at top leadership position in a recognised University and must have served as Deputy Librarian for at least five (5) years
Condition of Service
- The appointment shall be for a period of five (5) years, which may be extended for another one (1) year only, by the University Governing Council. Other benefits and allowances are as currently applicable to the position by the Federal Universities as prescribed by the Federal Government of Nigeria, and as determined by the Council of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
Deadline: 14th January, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their Application and detailed Curriculum Vitae (twenty five  copies) stating:
- Full names, with surname first,
- Date of birth (candidates should not be more than sixty five  years on or before 31 March, 2020) and place of birth,
- Permanent home address,
- Current postal address, E- mail address, Telephone number(s),
- Marital status,
- Number of children (with ages),
- Full qualifications,
- Academic and administrative experience,
- List of publications with relevant details,
- Educational institutions attended with dates,
- Previous employers, post held,
- Present employment, status and salary,
- Professional affiliation,
- Extra-curricular activities,
- Names and addresses of three (3) referees
- Two (2) photocopies of each certificate claimed as well as a two (2) page statement of their vision and mission for the University.
Applications should be forwarded to:
University of Nigeria, Nsukka,
- The Advert Reference Number is to be boldly indicated on the top left corner of the envelope.
- Also to be forwarded along with the applications are two (2) photocopies of each certificate claimed, including the NYSC Discharge Certificate or evidence of Exemption from the service, where applicable.
- Applicants are also requested to inform their referees to send confidential reports on their character, academic and managerial abilities in sealed envelopes marked: “Post of University Librarian: Referee’s Report” direct to the Registrar, University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
- Only applications of shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.