Current Jobs at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB), 6th January, 2020
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Fragility and Resilience Officer, RDTS
Location: Niamey, Niger
Position N°: 50079242
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex (RDVP), the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDIBD) Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General (DG) and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries.
- The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s of ‘Light up and Power Africa,’ ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.
The Hiring Department
- The Transition States Coordination Office (RDTS) is responsible for leading and implementing African Development Bank Group (the Bank) Strategy for Addressing Fragility and Building Resilience in its Regional Member Countries. It coordinates the Bank’s work on addressing fragility and building resilience, including activities of all fragility and resilience professionals stationed in the various Regional Hubs or Country Offices. Over the past decade, Africa has seen enormous growth and transformation that has expanded opportunities and improved living conditions for millions of people. More than two-thirds of African countries have strengthened their quality of governance, improved basic services, and expanded economic opportunities. Yet, there are significant risks that this momentum could be undermined by important pressures—continuing patterns of exclusion and poverty, unemployment, high migration, rapid urbanization, climate change and poor management of natural resources—that threaten to overwhelm existing institutional capacities for managing political, economic, social and environmental challenges. These pressures are making every single African country more vulnerable. RDTS aims to place the Bank at the center of Africa’s efforts to address fragility and pave the way for a more resilient and inclusive development trajectory. A major part of RDTS’ activities involves the identification of the main drivers of fragility, including economic, social, political and environmental dimensions, and how the Bank’s programs and projects can contribute to equity and inclusive development. Central to RDTS engagement is the systematic application of a fragility lens to identify, respond to and prevent fragility and to build resilience and focus the Bank’s engagement in the areas where it can have the biggest impact.
- Under the supervision of Lead Coordinator/Fragility Expert, the Fragility and Resilience Officer facilitates the work of RDTS Experts in drafting policy documents as well as designing the interventions to enhance client countries resilience and capacity.
- The Fragility and Resilience Officer assists RDTS background research and data gathering as inputs into drafting Economic and Sector Works and the development of sustainable project interventions in Transition Countries.
- This includes assisting with origination, appraisal and approval of projects.
- It also includes promoting and showcasing the Bank’s development impact achievements in transition countries in Africa, and projecting the Bank’s image as a leader in transition countries, through representation in various fora, publications, and networking with key stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Lead Coordinator/Fragility Expert, the Fragility and Resilience Officer is expected to perform the following duties:
- Carry out regular and periodic analytical and research work on drivers of fragility and resilience in and on countries and regions of assignment for internal decision making and programming (e.g. situation briefs, country overviews and fragility assessments) and/or for publication/dissemination within or outside the Bank; Clients/Stakeholders Support the experts in discussions and negotiations with potential partners in order to foster business relationships with the Bank;
- Conduct/contribute to fragility assessment of the bank’s projects, programs, policies and strategic documents (e.g. Country Strategy Papers) in countries of assignment or at the request of the Lead Coordinator/Fragility Expert;
- Carry out economic policy and strategic analysis work in and on countries of assignment using the fragility lens;
- Contribute to the department’s research work related to fragility and dissemination of knowledge products such as discussion/research papers and publications;
- Conduct/participate in the advisory work carried out by the Transition States Coordination Office;
- Contribute to the development and constant improvement of the Bank’s tools and methodologies for economic growth diagnostic and forecast (trend analysis) using the fragility perspective;
- Conduct economic growth diagnostic and trend analysis in countries of assignment applying the fragility lens;
- Contribute to the department’s work in arrears clearance, revenues’ management and public goods and services delivery from the fragility perspective;
- Contribute to the analyses and support the work of the department in addressing the spillover effect of the fragility in the region;
- Actively support the dissemination and implementation of the Bank’s strategy for engagement in fragile situations, including the Transition Support Facility in countries/regions of assignment;
- Provide quality enhancement services (as commentator or peer reviewer) to analytical work of the department as well as provide comments and inputs to relevant reports and publications initiated by other units of the Bank;
- Build partnerships in countries of assignment, with a view to implement the Bank’s Strategy for Addressing Fragility and Building Resilience;
- Attend/represent the Bank in external events (conferences, seminars, workshops) related to fragility;
- Attend and contribute to the activities of the Public Finance Working Groups (group of donors providing direct budget support) in countries of assignment;
- Perform any other assignments and tasks as requested by the Lead Coordinator/Fragility Expert and/or the Director of RDTS.
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree (or its university equivalent) in Development Economics, Macroeconomics, Public Finance, Public Sector Accounting or Auditing;
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in public policy, economic policy, or government financial management, as well as experience in development policy and operations as well as project management, preferably in a bilateral or multilateral development finance institution, at least three (3) years of which should be focused on developing countries;
- Experience in conducting of economic and policy analysis;
- Ability to carry out independent research and to manage outsourced research activities;
- Sound understanding of public finance issues in developing countries is a plus;
- Ability to apply innovative approaches, work independently and apply new methods to solve problems, while remaining efficient in a fast-paced, changing and challenging institutional environment;
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in English, with a good working knowledge of French;
- Competence in the use of Microsoft standard software (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, MS Projects); knowledge of SAP desirable.
Deadline: 16th January, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Job Title: Short Term Staff – HR Administration Assistant, CHHR2
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Grade: GS5 /GS6 /GS7
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services (CHVP) ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, IT, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity and, health and safety strategies.
The Hiring Department
- The role of the Human Resources Management department is to develop and execute a People Strategy, Policies, processes and practices which will enable the Bank to achieve its strategic Agenda. Core to the HR Strategy will be the attraction, development, engagement, motivation and retention of a best-in-class workforce.
- In order to create a truly transformed HR work-way, CHHR department is structured around a triangular Model: Business Partnerships for strategy, client contracting and HR delivery, Centers of Expertise/Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) for internal consulting, thought leadership, design, talent and staff development and training and best practice benchmarking, HR Shared Services for transactional excellence and employees outreach. This new HR Model will deliver a world-class employee life-cycle experience.
- The Short-Term Staff – HR Administration Assistant will be assigned to a moderate range of technical support assignments in HR administration.
- The incumbent will process transactions in HRIS to perform specialized tasks.
- S/he is responsible for carrying out administrative tasks related to HR administration and for assisting HR teams in providing statistics and data for decision support.
- The position holder works closely with the HR Administration Officer.
- Accountabilities are set for the HR activity in his/her area of responsibility – complex, field office or special contracts.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the immediate supervision of the HR Administration Officer, and the overall supervision of the Division Manager CHHR2, the incumbent will undertake the following Key Responsibilities:
Provide administrative support to the administration of HR processes by:
- Preparing HR Administrative documents and decisions relating to regular and short-term staff, Technical Assistants, Secondees, Project Staff and others. These documents include new staff appointment contracts, and contract renewals, staff promotions and any other work related to contract processing.
- Maintaining templates and letters for staff separation, staff assumption of duty, transfers, promotions, contract renewals, confirmations, leave without pay and staff testimonials.
- Ensuring, in liaison with Records section, that electronic and hard copy personnel files are up-to-date.
- Monitoring staff probation periods and process staff confirmation.
- Undertaking the maintenance of the contract renewals/probationary periods in the Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS) systems.
- Undertaking administration of staff dependents for new hires and update / changes by staff in liaise with HR Records section.
- Assisting staff members with administrative procedures for adoption.
- Working with Shared Services teams, HR Benefits; HR Payroll; HR Master Data & HR Employee Help Desk in problem resolution and treatment of queries from employees.
- Assisting in the administration of assumption of duty of Bank staff, Technical Assistants, Secondees, and Project Staff and also the administration of assumption of Staff transfers/Staff movements including Promotions, employment terminations.
- Assisting in the process of reference checks for employees to verify a range of candidate information, including employment history, academic qualifications and security checks.
- Collecting approval of individual HR action decided, update HR master data and follow up until completion.
- Tracking staff movements within and without the Bank.
- Maintaining and updating information on probation periods and fixed-term contracts of staff members.
- Drafting statistics on recruitment, staff mobility, transfers and promotion.
Perform day-to-day office management duties and provide assistance to other colleagues in the accomplishment of Division tasks when required.
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s Degree and or its equivalent in Information Systems
- Have a minimum of four (4) years for GS5/GS6 and five (5) years for GS7 of relevant practical working experience in progressive positions.
- Good planning and monitoring skills will be highly desirable.
- A relevant and practical experience in Human Resources Management, Staff and Legal counselling will be an asset.
- Proactive, solution oriented individual, keen to resolve challenges through innovation.
- Ability to implement continual improvement activities to processes, with a keen eye for detail.
- Ability to multitask, meet strict deadlines and work under a pressure.
- Ability to work independently and coordinate with peers and other HR experts in a multidisciplinary multicultural team.
- Excellent levels of initiative, enthusiasm, team spirit and organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates tact and diplomacy in dealing with clients and other team members.
- Operational effectiveness.
- Problem solving.
- Client orientation.
- Team working and relations.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Good knowledge of the use of standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and SAP). Good typing skills is highly desirable.
Deadline: 17th January, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted.
- Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered.