Job for Vice Chancellor at Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
Al-Hikmah University was licensed by the Federal Government of Nigeria in January, 2005. It is a faith-based, private and conventional University with a strong Islamic content. The University aims at providing high moral standard and academic excellence for the good of the Nigerian nation and humanity. It is also committed to the development of highest academic standards both at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The University has graduated ten (10) sets of students. The University, which is developing at a rapid pace, has seven (7) Faculties namely; Humanities and Social Sciences, Management Sciences, Natural and Applied Sciences, Health Sciences, Education, Law, Agriculture and the Postgraduate School. The current student population stands at about 5,000.
The Governing Council of Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin, Nigeria wishes to announce that the Post of the Vice-Chancellor of the University will be vacant from July 13, 2020. In accordance with the provisions of Al-Hikmah University Law (2003), the Governing Council wishes to commence the process of filling the vacancy and hereby invites interested, qualified and highly motivated candidates with not less than fifteen (15) years of academic and administrative experience in the University system to apply for the position below:
Job Title: Vice Chancellor
Duties of the Vice-Chancellor
- The Vice-chancellor is the Chief Executive and Academic Officer of the University and is directly responsible to the University’s Governing Council for the management of human, financial and material resources of the University.
- The Vice-Chancellor shall be responsible to the Governing Council for maintaining peace, order and efficient management of the affairs of the University and ensuring the enforcement of the Laws, Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations of the University
Qualities and Qualifications of the Candidate
The candidate, who should be a seasoned academic, should possess the following qualities and minimum academic qualifications:
- A good University education and should be of the rank of Professor, with a minimum of eight (8) years experience on that level.
- Be ready to sustain and advance the cause of the University through aggressive internally-generated revenue drive, and attraction of National and International Research and Development Grants;
- Be ICT proficient
- Be ready to strengthen the good relationship that exists among staff, students and other members of the university community and
- Have extensive and deep experience in all facets of University administration.
- Be not more than 60 years at assumption of duty.
- Must be a highly distinguished and respected scholar of National and International repute.
- Be mentally and physically fit to handle challenging responsibilities;
- Be God-fearing, with a good track record and proven integrity;
Terms and Conditions of Service
- The Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years only on such terms and conditions as may be specified in the letter of appointment.
- The remuneration is comparable to what is applicable in other Nigerian Universities. Other conditions of service and fringe benefits are as may be determined by the Governing Council from time to time.
Deadline: 9th March, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward Twenty-five (25) copies of detailed Application and photocopy of Certificates and relevant Credentials as well as full CV including:
- Full Name
- Date and Place of Birth
- Permanent and Current Postal Address
- Telephone Number(s)
- E-mail Address
- Marital Status
- Number and Ages of Children
- Educational Institutions Attended with Dates
- Academic and Professional Qualifications with Dates
- Academic Distinctions
- Scholarly Publications
- Membership of Academic and Professional Bodies
- Detailed work experience, previous employers and Posts held with Dates
- Other activities outside current employment
- Present employer, Post and Salary indicating detailed schedule of work
- Names and Addresses of three (3) Referees, at least one of whom should be related to his/her discipline and place of work,
- Date of availability, if appointed
- A statement of the candidate’s vision for the University in the next five (5) years and beyond (minimum of 750 and maximum of 1,000 words)
All applications should be addressed to:
Adeta Road, Adewole Housing Estate,
P.M.B. 1601, Ilorin,
- The envelope should be marked “Confidential – Post of the Vice-Chancellor”
- Candidates should request their referees to send, under confidential cover to the Registrar, a Confidential Report on the candidate’s character, academic and managerial abilities.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview.