Center for Civilians in Conflict’s mission is to improve protection for civilians caught in conflicts around the world. We call on and advise international organizations, governments, militaries, and armed non-state actors to adopt and implement policies, tools, and training to prevent civilian harm. When civilians are harmed we advocate for the provision of amends and post-harm assistance. We bring the voices of civilians themselves to those making decisions affecting their lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Type: Project Finance Consultant
Reporting: Senior Country Operations Manager
Job Type: Short Term
Job Duration: 3 Months
- Budget, Accounting and Financial Management
- Ensure all finances are managed in alignment with Donor Regulations
- Liaise with project team in Field Office and Abuja HQ to prepare, review and revise project budgets and expenditure forecasts.
- Forecast project expenditures through field office, timely submit field cash requests and manage cash flows in field office.
- Communicate and follow up with relevant suppliers, consultants, vendors, contractors and staff with regards to invoices, payments, advances or finances.
- Reconcile and review invoices for payments. Ensure necessary review, deliverables, and approvals before issuing payments.
- Ensure applicable tax withholding and deductions are taken care of per the Nigerian laws and regulations.
- Maintain up to date bank and petty cash account transaction records and supporting documentations.
- Record all financial transactions in the financial templates accurately and in a timely fashion. Prepare, review and submit regular field vouchers and financial reports to Abuja HQ, as required.
- Collect bank statements for the bank accounts, review cash book, and reconcile the accounts.
- Review monthly financial reports and inform/update expenditure forecast/budget on regular basis.
- Prepare financial report as necessary and provide necessary financial support to the project.
- Process for applicable tax exemptions and VAT reimbursements during or after procurements
- Assist in end of year financial audit, as required.
- Work closely with the Field Operations Officer for daily tasks and project management
- Grants Management Support
- Review recipients’ finance vouchers
- Participate in program Budget planning and development
- Process recipients’ invoices and payments.
Degree and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Management or any Social Sciences
- Minimum 3-5 years’ post NYSC experience. Experience with INGO projects is an advantage.
- Knowledge of major accounting software usage such as MIP and quick books is key.
- Strong analytical and computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet).
- Ability to work in a team and communicate effectively with diverse cultural and professional staff members.
- Ability to work under pressure and with minimal supervision.
Job Type: Research Consultant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reporting & Supervision: The Research consultant will report technically to CIVIC’s researcher and have direct reporting lines to the Country Director or his/her designate
Contract Term: Consultancy
Duration: On need basis
- We are looking for short term pool of research consultants (roster) to provide short term assignments in Borno northeast Nigeria, to carry out relevant scientific research into key topics related to the conflict dynamics and impact on civilian protection in the northeast.
Scope of Work / Primary Responsibilities
Based on specific research needs, the consultant should:
- Plan Research Strategies
- Find and Collect Data
- Interpret and Analyze Data
- Write Research Reports
- Verify Data
- Present Research findings and develop relevant summary/policy briefs
Reporting & Supervision:
- The Research consultant will report technically to CIVIC’s researcher and have direct reporting lines to the Country Director or his/her designate.
- You will be responsible for collecting, analysing and presenting data in a variety of formats as specified in the specific contract terms for your engagement
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Qualification Minimum M.Sc, but PhD desired
- Experience Minimum of 7 years
- Research skills
- Analytical thinking
- Team management
- Computer skills
- Communication skills
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Fluency in Hausa, Kanuri and/or Shuwa-Arabic is highly essential.
- Ability to reside/travel frequently within the activity locations
- The duration for this activity will be on a need basis.
- LGAs to be identified within Borno State
Job Type: Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno with frequent travels to Abuja and field locations
Reporting & Supervision: The MEL Officer have matrix reporting lines to the Country Director and the NE Team Lead
Contract Term: Full Time
Duration: 2 years, renewable
- Based on the project proposal, implementation plan, and donor reporting requirements, support the development of a system for capturing and documenting data and relevant information on project activities, beneficiaries, outputs, outcomes, and impacts, which is feasible, practical, and “user friendly”, and will obtain valid and reliable information.
- Ensure that systems developed capture both quantitative and qualitative information.
- Ensure an effective roll-out of MEL collection and reporting systems to all staff and partners through training, site visits, manuals, and other technical support as needed. Ensure systems are well understood and properly implemented by staff and partners.
- Ensure that all tools are practical to use and accommodate different levels of expertise and computer literacy, from community groups, to partners, to project staff.
- Work with field teams to establish reporting processes to ensure that all information and data is collected, documented, and collated in an accurate and timely manner.
- Create a system for ensuring that information obtained is also shared with relevant stakeholders through a regular feedback mechanism.
- Provide ongoing support to field teams, partners, and communities to maintain ME&L systems; identify skill gaps that can be addressed in subsequent refresher trainings.
- Help coordinate overall project review and evaluation activities as required. This includes coordinating mid-term and final evaluations, and supporting donor and external reviews as required.
- Ensure regular reviews of the ME&L system itself, making improvements as needed and recommended, in consultation with managers, staff, and partners.
- Work with the other team members and Field Leadership Team to ensure that the donor ME&L system is well linked and/or integrated with overall ME&L systems for CIVIC.
- Help provide training to partners to develop basic ME&L systems and tools they can use for other related projects, if they are successful in obtaining external funding
- Analyze information about the program and make recommendations for improvement.
- Lead in the preparation of monthly and quarterly reports for CIVIC Nigeria and others involved in the project (including the donor) ensuring utmost quality.
- Periodically share results with teams and CIVIC internal reporting platforms.
- Identify the need for additional technical support to ensure effective program delivery and coordinate the allocation of that support.
- Work closely with Senior Advisor, MEL at HQ to provide relevant strategic MEL support to country program.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Qualification Minimum of a B.Sc or HND
- Experience: 3 – 7 years
- Advanced training in quantitative methodologies, including database management.
- 5 years of direct experience of monitoring and evaluation in one or more of these sectors: I/NGO, Development, and Humanitarian/Emergency.
- Strong analytic skills, and an understanding of a range of methods for monitoring, evaluation and assessment to promote evidence-based learning. Demonstrated ability to design, commission, and manage assessment methodologies and evaluation.
- Good understanding of media and communication.
- Computer literate.
- Ability to build support from staff across teams and to build the capacity of others.
- Proven ability to coordinate effective resource allocation to ensure quality programmes.
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively and innovate and to set priorities, manageable workplans and evaluate progress.
- Strong communications skills (both written and verbal). The ability to analyse complex data and summarise it for a range of different audiences.
- Experience of working within budget constraints.
- Commitment to CIVIC’s mission, values and approach
- Commitment to support cross organisational initiatives.
- Commitment to team working and understanding of how to contribute.
- Ability to operate within a predominantly administratively self-servicing environment.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Fluency in Hausa, Kanuri and/or Shuwa-Arabic is an advantage.
- Ability to reside/travel frequently within the activity locations.
- Professional qualification at postgraduate level or equivalent in relevant fields
- Experience of qualitative research techniques
- Experience in international development.
- Nationally and LGAs within Borno State.
Job Type: HR Consultant
Reporting: Senior Country Operations Manager
Job Type: Short Term
Job Duration: 3 Months
- The Human Resource Officer is responsible for providing effective HR policies, procedures, and people-friendly guidelines and support within CIVIC Nigeria.
This includes but is not limited to:
- Talent Acquisition & development;
- Employee engagement coordination; countrywide training & learning management;
- Compensation & benefits administration; countrywide performance management oversight;
- Disciplinary & grievance handling; staff data management;
- Staff disengagement management and 3rd party service provision management (HMO, Group Life, etc)
- Participate in the development, planning, and implementation of recruiting activities designed to enhance CIVIC Nigeria ability to attract and retain qualified candidates.
- Develop strategic relationships with strategic hiring sources (e.g. colleges, universities, networks, associations), ensuring awareness of CIVIC Nigeria as a destination employer
- Establishes recruiting requirements by studying organization plans and objectives; meeting with managers to discuss needs
- Builds applicant sources by researching and contacting community services, colleges, employment agencies, recruiters, media, and internet sites; providing organization information, opportunities, and benefits; making presentations; maintaining rapport
- Effect all required recruitment activities in line with the set recruitment process and applicable staffing plans
- Run the full post recruitment activities for all CIVIC’s hires
- Run onboarding activities for CIVIC’s national staff and expatriate hires
- Recommend strategic and creative sourcing strategies that support CIVIC Nigeria mission and human resource goals and objectives
- Work closely with hiring managers to identify personnel needs, job specifications, job duties, qualifications and skills
- Develop and maintain a network of contacts to help identify and source qualified candidates
- Screen and refer external and internal candidates for additional interviews with others in the organization
- Review applications/resumes and interview candidates to obtain work history, education, training, job skills, salary requirements and to provide information about the organization and position
- Participate with managers in interviews, clarifying employment policy and procedures
- Perform reference and background checks for new hires and discuss results with hiring managers
- Prepare documentation including remuneration package attached to offers for new hires in accordance with CIVIC recruitment process flow
- Assist with the development and presentation of talent acquisition procedures for field and headquarters staff at regional meetings, orientations and training functions
- Enter and maintain recruitment information on Comeet.
- Perform and promote all activities in compliance with equal employment and non-discrimination policies; follows federal laws, state laws, Agency policies and the professional standards
- Translate departmental work plan and countrywide annual HR plan into specific activities to be carried out within region of the cover
- Follow CIVIC Policies and Procedures for Human Resources as stipulated in the Staff Handbook including the recruitment policy and other guidelines.
- Maintain confidentiality of all national staff personnel issues including disciplinary procedures and contracts/pay rises and salary information.
- Carry out other tasks as needed to fulfil responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management / Business or related field
- 3-5 years of professional experience with at least 4 years of progressive and hands-on HR generalist experience evident in multiple human resource disciplines specifically Recruitment, Selection, Orientation, Onboarding and Talent Management
- At least three years’ experience in recruiting for the private and/or not for profit sectors
- Proven experience recruiting for multiple positions within a multi-project/program environment
- In-depth knowledge of HR and Nigerian Labour laws
- Ability to design and execute effective and creative recruitment strategies for difficult-to-fill international recruitment assignments
- Membership of relevant professional body (CIPM, SHRM, etc) is an added advantage
- Fluency in English is required. Fluency in any other Nigerian languages including Yoruba, Hausa and Kanuri will be considered a plus
- Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, benefits administration, organizational planning and development, employee relations, recruitment, selection and onboarding
- Must have excellent skills in the use of all Microsoft office tools
- Must have previous experience in recruitment and onboarding systems management
- Must have excellent analytical skills and good reasoning abilities and sound judgment.
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills
- Must exhibit a high level of initiative, flexibility and creativity.