Malteser International has been working in Nigeria since 2017. In Northeast Nigeria and more specifically in Borno State, MI is currently active in the WASH sector for improving the lives of both the IDP population as well as the host communities. The WASH activities focus on improved access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene. They include NFI distribution, solarization of boreholes, rehabilitation of hand pumps, construction of latrines and hygiene promotion. Malteser International thereby applies a participatory, gender sensitive and inclusive approach.
In support of our work in Nigeria, Malteser International is looking for a motivated candidate to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Officer (m/f/d)
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria with frequent travel to field locations and Abuja
Type: National position
- As Security Officer, you will be responsible for supervising the safety and security framework support in line with Malteser International’s policies, procedures and guidelines.
- You will analyse situational changes, update equipment, and train staff, based on in country assessments, contacts with the local security community, UN and INGO security bodies and other appropriate sources.
- You will provide in country security assessments and advice Malteser International staff, programme and offices in Nigeria.
- You will line manage the guards and drivers at all office locations and are reporting to the Program Coordinator and/or his deputy.
- Working experience in the field of security management and humanitarian relief or relevant University degree or applied degree in Security or Crisis Management or related domains
- Proven experience and excellent ability to successfully work with local and international bodies (esp. INSO, UNDSS, etc)
- Proven experience of working with international NGOs in humanitarian and crisis contexts
- Proven experience of giving trainings to support and coach staff on security issues
- Proven communication skills including the ability to effectively motivate people and to communicate in a trustful and culturally sensitive way
- Willingness, physical and mental strength to work in deep field locations in Borno state
- Experience in report writing and training development would be an asset.
- Monitor, analyse and report to the Program Coordinator to ensure that Malteser International program staff are aware of security risks and mitigation measures
- Maintain and update a strong and diverse network of information (local, UN, INSO etc) and regularly analyse security information for the use of the program staff
- Ensure regular reporting of security related information to relevant external bodies
- Ensure regular internal reporting (monthly sit rep and other formats as required)
- Train staff, including program, office, drivers and guards, regularly on core security procedures, communication, and safe movement
- Regularly visit the field office and program locations to review the office security (including deep field locations)
- Conduct field security assessments as required prior to travels of staff
- Regularly check and update the security equipment, including communication devices
- As delegated by the Program Coordinator provide reviews and updates of the safety and security management plan and the contingency planning of Malteser International
- Supervise the guards and drivers at both locations and train on security related aspects regularly
- Carry out any other related task as requested by the line manager
- We offer a challenging position with many opportunities in a highly motivated team environment
- Start Date: 15th February 2020
- Duty Station: Maiduguri, Nigeria with frequent travel to field locations and Abuja
- Duration of contract: 6 months, extension very likely
- Salary: Salary according to qualification and experience, insurance package.
Deadline: 26th January, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online