The Governing Council, Enugu State University of Science and Technology, hereby announces that the position of the Vice-Chancellor of the University will soon be vacant. In accordance with the extant provisions of the Enugu State University of Science and Technology Law, Cap 74 as amended.
The Council hereby invite applications from suitably qualified and distinguished Professors with cognate experience in University teaching and administration for the post below:
Job Title: Vice-Chancellor
The Vice-Chancellor shall, among other duties:
- Promote research, teaching and high standard of academic excellence;
- Be responsible to Council for the maintenance of peace, law and order in the University;
- Be competent at all times to advise Council on all matters affecting the policy, finance and administration of the University;
- Regulate the admission of students, subject to the guidelines and procedures approved by the Senate and other statutory bodies;
- Be responsible for staff and students’ discipline and welfare in the University.
- The Vice-Chancellor of Enugu State University of Science and Technology is the Chief Executive and Academic Officer of the University, Chairman of Senate and member of the Governing Council
- He is responsible to Council in matters of policy implementation in the areas of finance, property / facilities, general administration and good governance of the institution.
- The Vice- Chancellor is also responsible to Senate for the admission of students, administration of academic programmes and student discipline in accordance with extant status, ordinances and regulations of the University.
- The candidate for the post of Vice-Chancellor is required to possess a good University education and should be a proven manager of human and material resources.
Specifically, the candidate shall be expected to:
- Be a person of unassailable integrity;
- Possess established research and programme development profile and have demonstrable ability to attract research funds both nationally and internationally;
- Possess high reputation, nationally and internationally and be able to command the respect of the national and international academic communities through his or her track records
- Be a person of proven integrity and courage and administrative leadership so as to successfully lead a group of well-informed and articulated local academic community;
- Possess ability to create the needed bridges between staff and students on one hand, and between the University Community on the other hand, and be above petty ethnic, religious and local loyalties and biases;
- Be able to serve the full term of five years and must be of good physical and mental health;
- Be able to perform any other lawful duties and responsibilities as may from time-to-time be directed by Council and its Statutory Committees.
- Be a professor of at least ten (10) years standing who understands the contemporary demands of leadership of the University. He/She should have had a wide academic/administrative experience of at least 20 years in the University system and be capable of giving dynamic leadership to this University;
- Be a successful scholar with Ph.D in his chosen discipline and well rooted in the finest academic traditions;
- Be a person with good grasp of information and communication technology skills and appreciates its significance in the contemporary knowledge industry;
- Be a person of courage, but humane, who can take decisive action(s) on the merit of facts and principles and not on the basis of sentiments or pressures from individuals and groups;
Terms and Conditions of Service
- The salaries and conditions of service are as applicable to the post of Vice-Chancellor in Nigerian Universities as determined by the Governing Council of the University from time-to-time.
- The Vice- Chancellor shall, hold office for a one-term period of five (5) years only.
- The candidate shall not be more than sixty-five (65) years of age at the date of possible assumption of duty as Vice-Chancellor
Deadline: 3rd March, 2020; (Time – 3.00 PM.)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit 30 copies of their Application accompanied by 30 copies of their most recent CV which shall contain the following:
- Full names;
- Date and Place of Birth;
- Contact Address with e-mail address and telephone number(s);
- Marital Status, number and ages of children;
- Academic qualifications (degrees with classes and copies of credentials to be enclosed);.
- Teaching, research, administrative and managerial experience;
- Membership of academic and professional bodies;
- 30 copies of statement of his/her Vision and Mission;
- All candidates must supply in their application names, addresses and phone numbers of three (3) referees who should be able to attest to the candidate’s academic and managerial abilities as well as his/her moral character and uprightness. The candidate should request their referees to separately, forward references directly to the Registrar, Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT);
- In the case, of nominated or “searched candidate,” the Curriculum Vitae must be accompanied by a letter of consent duly signed and dated by the candidate;
All applications are to be submitted under confidential cover, in a sealed envelope, marked at the upper left hand corner, “Post of Vice-Chancellor, ESUT” to:
The Registrar and Secretary to Council,
Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT),
P.M.B. 01660, Enugu,
Enugu State, Nigeria,
Note: All applications not received by 15:00 hours (3.00 PM.) on the last day shall be declared void.