Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Cash Transfer Officer
Reference No.: 190001V6
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Permanent
- Working closely with the Cash Transfer Coordinator, to support implementation of the cash transfers of the GAC funded ‘Girls’ Education in Crisis in Northeast Nigeria’ project in Yobe, ensuring that the cash transfer component is delivered in a timely manner and to a high quality
- In addition, maintain a strong understanding of implementation of the related education outputs.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Cash Transfer Coordinator
- Staff reporting to this post: TBD
- Budget Responsibilities: None
Key Areas of Accountability
With support from the Cash Transfer Coordinator:
- Assist in sensitisation of local government structures, communities and traditional authorities on the on targeting criteria and identification and registration of the beneficiaries;
- Help oversee delivery of regular cash transfers and helping ensure the resolution of any problems;
- Assist in training of any Save the Children or partner staff on cash transfer programming.
- Actively participate in relevant field assessments to identify the beneficiaries’ needs and viable business opportunities, ensuring assessment findings are documented and that all assessments include a specific analysis of children’s needs
- Organize the training of the cash beneficiaries on the identified needs
- Conduct the implementation and monitoring of all activities, at field level, as laid out in the plan of action.
- Assist in the registration of target families, ensuring that the data is collected and is recorded appropriately
- Coordinate activities with local authorities, international community members, other implementing actors and partners at the local level.
- Compile and submit regular project reports and updates
Support the Cash Transfer Coordinator and the education colleagues to:
- Conduct vulnerability mapping with community representatives in order to identify the most vulnerable out-of-school, crisis-affected girls aged 6 to 14.
- Develop strategies to address the economic barriers impeding the girls’ access to education in collaboration with the community representatives and the families of the girls.
- Implement cash transfer programs, conditional on the enrolment of girls in school, to allow families to cover their basic needs
- Facilitate the provision of livelihoods kits for agricultural or income generating activities in order to enable the ability to start-up businesses that will strengthen the households economically and enable them retain their children in school beyond the lifespan of the project.
- Strengthen the state-level household economic strengthening (HES) systems where gaps in capacity exist
- Ensure that you work to the best of your ability and demonstrate high levels of commitment to Save the Children International and our vision, mission and values in order to ensure the objectives of your role and the country programme are met;
- Ensure the effective and efficient use of all Save the Children International resources in order to keep costs low and ensure safety in the workplace; and
- Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy to ensure maximum protection for children.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and takes responsibility for their own personal development
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their colleagues, SC Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
- At least First Degree / HND qualification in Social Policy, Social Science, International Development, Economics or related relevant discipline
Experience and Skills
- Minimum of 2 years post NYSC relevant work experience.
- Excellent Microsoft Office applications skills (Excel, Word, Power point, Emails, Skype, Web researchers);
- Self-motivated and results orientated;
- Highly diplomatic and emotionally intelligent with strong oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment and passion for the realisation of women’s and girls’ rights and gender equality;
- Knowledge of women’s rights and gender equality and willingness to strengthen her/his own capacity in this area; and
- Demonstrated success in community resilience programs and technically sound in cash transfers, capacity building and other cash transfer components;
- Excellent communication skills, calm, with a good sense of working in inter-cultural environment;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Able to effectively advocate for change and influence others.
- Knowledge of and adherence to Save the children Code of Conduct, understands other international development guidelines.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Deadline: 18th February, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply online
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received
- Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.