The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) was established through an Act of the Parliament in 1960 to complement public authorities in humanitarian interventions with the mandate to prevent and alleviate human suffering at times of peace or conflict, and to support individuals and communities to respond effectively to emergencies, without any form of discrimination as to class, gender, race, political opinions or religion.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Finance & Resource Management
Mode: Internal / External
Department: Finance and Resource Management
Job Family: Finance & Support Services
Reports To: Secretary General
Direct Reports: All other Finance Staff
Grade Level / Designation: Senior Management
- The Head of Finance and Resource Management shall be responsible for providing overall guidance, leadership and direction in the execution of financial activities of the NRCS.
- This role also entails anticipating and controlling financial risks through creation of strong internal control environment
- He / she is in charge of planning, directing, organizing and controls the operations of the department to ensure NRCS achieves its mandate in accordance with accepted accounting principles and NRCS policies and procedures.
- She / He will provide Management and the Board with timely, complete and accurate financial information for necessary decision making
Budgeting and Planning:
- Contributes to NRCS Strategic Development Planning.
- Leads the Budgeting process and guides the management on compliance and rationalisation
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides technical support to budget holders/head of departments and units in development of their budgets.
- Support in funding plan, strategies and putting supportive systems in place to ensure accountability
- Oversees cash flow management process, making sure that funds are available for operational use.
- Coordinates cash forecasts with HoD´s and Branch teams.
- Consolidates the NRCS budgets and gives an overview to the senior management team.
- Lead the budget revision sessions and advise on their realism, consistency and compliance with applicable standards
- Coordinate the proactive monitoring and reporting of budget positions to all departments and programs
- Reviews monthly budget monitoring reports and take corrective action
- Financial Control
- Coordinate the development and implementation of finance and accounting policies, processes and procedures in line with leading practices
- Identify risks and financial implications of various projects/ initiatives and advise the Secretary General and management team accordingly
- Oversee the establishment of efficient controls to mitigate identified financial risks
- Review and authorize key expenditures / transactions of the departments in line with the NRCS approved budget and manual of financial authority
- Treasury Management
- Proactively manage and monitor NRCS cash flows, ensure optimal cash management and implement best practice in treasury management procedures
- Review cash request analysis and ensure that the NRCS has enough cash to run its activities
- Provide regular cash forecasts for the attention of the Secretary General
- Implement mechanisms to safeguard NRCS liquid and fixed assets in line with NRCS financial policies
- Review the finance sections of funding proposals for donors.
- Compile accurate, regular and timely financial and narrative reports for NRCS and for donors
- Coordinate the donor financial reporting process ensuring that the reports are prepared and sent to the donors before due dates
- Financial Analysis & Reporting and Tax
- Provide timely, accurate and relevant financial information/ reports to aid management decision making
- Manage NRCS statutory reporting obligations on an accurate and timely basis including production of annual reports and accounts
- Ensure all recommendations from the external auditor’s management letters are adequately
- Oversee tax planning to optimize NRCS tax position (majorly PAYE) and ensure compliance accordingly Accounting and book keeping
- Oversees payment process to ensure that all transactions are within accepted standards and in accordance with laid down processes
- Set up a functioning accounting system that ensures transactions are captured accurately and on a timely manner
- Set up a month end calendar and ensure it is strictly adhered to
- Reviews and validates all balance reconciliations
- Carrying out frequent data backups for the finance department
- Over see proper filing system to enable easy retrieval of information
Capacity Building for Finance and programme staff:
- Support and train key Finance staff and other staff on finance management, as required
- Provide advice on improving the financial reporting component as well as the use and benefit of international accounting standards
- Ensure that lessons learnt and good practice from finance management are used to improve future financial management
- Develops finance structure and ensures the department has adequate expertise in achieving efficiency, effectiveness in supporting NRCS using customer oriented approach
- Participates in recruitment of new staff within the department
- Inducts and trains of new finance staff in collaboration with HR
- Facilitate effective delegation, support and follow up to build capacities of finance staff
- Maintaining a motivated and effective team
- Periodic establishment of objectives and carrying out regular performance reviews
- Supports finance staff in development of learning objectives and championing necessary training opportunities with the aim of increasing departments expertise
- Manage direct line reports and assigned resources such as financial, equipment, etc.
- Monitor Key Performance Areas to ensure an adequate financial management of the operation projects at all levels
- Prepare ad hoc analysis reports to the management team (e.g. financial implications and budgets for the existing plans, allocation of shared costs, etc.)
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the Secretary-General
Duties applicable to all staff:
- Work actively towards the achievement of NRCS goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross fundamental principles and code of conduct
Key Performance Areas:
- Timeliness of annual budget preparation and approval
- Timeliness and accuracy of cash forecasts and funding estimates
- Availability of funding for NRCS operations
- Compliance with budget and relevant statutory requirements
- Degree of audit exceptions/ adjustments
- Timeliness and accuracy of financial reports
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to follow and safeguard the Finance Procedures and policies
- Good leadership and accountability levels
- Strong judgment and ability to identify and analyse problems and to think strategically to anticipate, interpret and develop strategic responses to issues
- Ability to persuade, influence, manage and sustain effective, successful strategic relationships both internally and externally
- Strong negotiation skills and the ability to persuade others to adopt a specific course of action to achieve desired results
- Proficiency in the use of MS office tools and data analysis software
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Understanding of NRCS programmes and support functions
- Behavioural Competencies
- Capable of communicating analysis and insights effectively, and articulate when communicating
- Demonstrated success in relationship building internally and externally with a wide array of stakeholders
- Ability to build and protect the reputation of self and society through the quality of work, knowledge and experience
- High ethical standards and honesty in handling the organizational resources and zero tolerance to corruption
- Culturally sensitive, globally-minded and show respect to the views and opinions of others
- Ability to collaborate and work well in a team
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance Management or Business administration
- Bachelor of Commerce, Accounting or Finance management
- Certified chartered accounts/Certified Public accountant ( e.g. ICAN, ACCA, ANAN)
- Proven experience in staff supervision.
- Experience with large ERP systems, as well as knowledge of accounting software preferred;
- Strong financial analysis and excel skills;
- Strong accounting knowledge, analytical/problem solving skills, creativity and initiative.
- Minimum of 10 years relevant working international experience, with at least 5 years in a management level position
- Previous experience in managing international donor grants
Deadline: 18th February, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their Applications with the Position applied for / Name of Applicant as the subject of the email to: email@example.com