The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent humanitarian medical NGO that was created in 2009 by professionals of humanitarian medicine. ALIMA’s mission is to provide medical care in emergency situations or medical catastrophes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health Advisor / Consultant
Location: (Southern Borno, Askira /Uba & Hawul and Monguno), Borno
Reports to: Medical Coordinator and Project Coordinator
Category: Consultancy – National position
Duration of contract: Max 15 days per months for 4 Months
Closely work with: PCs, PHC Directors, and PMOs
Minimum Qualifications Required
- Master’s Degree in Public Health or a related field.
- Additional training in monitoring and evaluation, Health Systems Strengthening, epidemiology/biostatistics, quality assurance, strategic planning and change management
- Minimum of five years’ experience of working with Nigerian Health Systems in preferably in Borno State.
- Have experience in designing and implementing health systems strengthening, health monitoring and evaluation, and health strategic information programming in developing countries, preferably in areas health & nutrition. Previous experience of working with International Development Organization overseas is strongly preferred.
Team and Interpersonal Skills:
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills, ability to work in a multi-cultural team environment, and the ability to take on leadership roles within a technical area or team.
- Demonstrated experience of working closely and collaboratively with senior managerial and technical host-country counterparts, donors, government decision makers at central and decentralized levels, and other stakeholders in a developing country.
Technical Expertise and Skills:
- Strong technical skills in providing technical support and capacity building for health systems strengthening and strategic information in developing countries.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of state of the art approaches to health systems strengthening as well as monitoring and evaluation methodologies employed to measure and analyze results from health interventions, Strong ability to report on findings in clear, succinct, standardized formats.
Language, Communication and Computer Skills:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills: Must be fluent in English and have proven ability to communicate quickly, clearly and concisely in both verbal and written English. Knowledge of Hausa, Kanuri and other local languages is an asset
- Strong computer skills: Able to produce concise, clear reports; utilize spreadsheet and database programs at the advanced level, and perform statistical analyses.
- This is a consultancy position; The incumbent shall be paid at a rate of N20,964 per day worked for a maximum of 15 days monthly.
- Transport and accommodation at field shall be provided
Roles & Responsibilities
- The Health Advisor will provide guidance and support on Nigerian Health System in the Borno State context to help ALIMA plan, implement and monitor mission activities under EU funded projects in Askira/Uba, Hawul and Monguno LGAs. He /she Will have particular focus on Health Systems strengthening providing strategic information (SI) to support the implementation of effective primary health programs in Nigeria mission.
- The Health Advisor will provide technical support to the Health Systems Strengthening Team of the Early Recovery projects, which comprises multiple technical areas: health finance (Cost recovery), health governance, HMIS-DHIS2, Medical Supply Chain and service provision at facility and LGA LEVELS.
- The Advisor shall represent ALIMA at some meetings with the Government of Nigeria, other international development partners whenever requested.
- The Health Advisor shall also serve as a liaison between the State Ministry of Health and ALIMA at all levels for all health early recovery projects in targeted program areas. S/he shall provide the technical support to field team in improving the impact of ALIMA health & nutrition project in Borno state through supportive supervision and on the job training.
- The Health Advisor in consultation with Medical Coordinator will help the field teams in coming with up with monitoring tools to ensure that the interventions are in line with donor guidelines
- Be able to evaluate the project internally and prepare a comprehensive report on lesson learned and good practices and advise on ways of further improving our programmatic approach
- To review monthly HMIS (health management information system) and analyze overall performance against pre-set targets
- To assist the health team in drafting monthly organizational and quarterly/annual donor reports.
Methodology of working:
- The position holder shall carry out planned regular visits to project field visits with or without ALIMA staff. This includes coming to Maiduguri or Abuja to brief/debrief/ attending clusters and other project-related coordination meetings, and working with and meeting MoH/HMB at SMOH and LGA levels.
- Reviewing and analyzing project documents like project proposals, quarterly and annual donor reports etc.
Deadline: 15th February, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV, Qualifications and a Cover Letter with Contact Details to: email@example.com clearly indicating “Health Advisor / Consultant” as the subject of your mail.
Note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. No response will be sent to unsuccessful applicants. Reference checks will be made only for offers considered as finalist.