PUNCH Nigeria Limited is publishers of Nigeria’s leading and most widely read newspaper and digital titles.
We are seeking ethical, resourceful, experienced and enterprising professionals to fill the role below:
Job Title: Investigative Reporter
- We are looking for experienced investigative reporters who will dig up stories and hold the powerful to account.
- The investigative reporter will work on their own investigative pieces, both short-term and long-term.
- They’ll also work collaboratively with other newsroom members as needed on larger projects or to suggest the best ways to dig up information.
The ideal candidate must have at least three years of newsroom or journalism experience and at least a first degree. What’s more, the ideal candidate is:
- Fluent at using sources, documents, computer-assisted reporting and other journalistic tools to develop, report, write and produce exclusive, impactful stories and investigative projects.
- Generates strong story ideas that can lead the publication
- Create, research and write news and features through investigation and research
- Excellent at juggling long-term work with quick-turn projects as driven by the news cycle.
- Knowledgeable at conceptualizing and applying data visualization techniques.
- Able to meet deadlines, respond to editing and adapt to new work situations, people, ideas, procedures and organizational structures.
- Passionate about upholding solid journalism ethics and has a track record of making sound decisions.
- English proficiency is a must
- Research, develop, write and produce ground-breaking investigative content
- Can juggle stories and projects along multiple timelines, demonstrating exceptional time-management skills.
- Effective at making public information requests, following up with agencies and mining the data to identify important stories.
- Collaborate with news managers to dig into the big story of the day for topical investigations that accentuate unique angles and exclusive content.
- Flexible and has experience working collaboratively within a newsroom.
- Someone who possesses excellent writing skills with an ability to think creatively about telling stories for the web.
- Strong writing and storytelling skills.
- Dynamic live reporting skills. Successful candidates will exhibit maturity, reliability, composure and stability under pressure.
- Ability to work with little or no supervision
- Resourcefulness: approach news writing from more pragmatic angles
- Analytical skills — Use clear, logical steps and excellent judgment to understand possible news items from all angles
- Ability to travel at short notice
- Computer skills and familiarity with office proprietary software such as Microsoft Word, etc.
Very attractive but negotiable.
Deadline: 2nd March, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter, CV and writing samples to:
Human Resources Department,
KM 14, Lagos Ibadan Expressway
Magboro, Ogun State
E-mail it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In your cover letter, please pitch us an investigative story you think our audience would want to know about. Please address the following questions in fewer than five sentences:
- Describe the issue.
- Why is it relevant to our audience?
- How would you investigate the story?
- What tools would you use?
- Only qualified candidates should apply
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted