NTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Manager – Multisector
Job Code: SR-49-1408
Location: Maiduguri with missions to the coordination office in Abuja and the field bases (Monguno, Dikwa and Ngala, Borno State)
Starting date: 1st April, 2020
Contract duration: 12 Months
Reporting to: Programme Coordinator
Supervision of: Directly supervise 6 staff members; project has 72 staff in total
General Context of the Project
- INTERSOS is partnering with Solidarities International to deliver an integrated multi-sector response targeting conflict-affected populations in Borno State, North-East Nigeria.
- The partnership will cover the most urgent needs for IDPS and host communities in the Local Government Areas (LGA) of Monguno, Dikwa and Ngala, among the hot-spots receiving the largest number of IDPs.
- The project will cover part of the current life-saving needs, as well as a crisis modifier component to allow both partners to have the best operational flexibility possible to respond rapidly to massive influx of new IDPs, epidemics outbreaks, floods, and storms.
- The project will focus on a holistic service provision approach, with protection concerns mainstreamed into each activity. Services provided by the partners include: primary health care, nutrition, access to safe water, improved sanitation infrastructures, waste management, hygiene promotion, improvement of shelter conditions, strengthen of the protection environment (looking at Human Rights violations, social cohesion and protection capacity strengthening of implementing teams), site management, reception centres management and NFI distribution for new arrivals.
- In addition, a multisector emergency rapid response is also planned for in this project.
- Specifically, INTERSOS will directly implement Health and Nutrition activities (Primary Health Care through health post and mobile units, Sexual Reproductive Health and integrated Nutrition support), Protection activities (protection outreach and monitoring, community centers, case management for PWSN, and protection capacity building) and CCCM (Management of 2 Reception entres).
General Purpose of the Position
- The Project Manager is accountable for the overall vision and leadership of the project and is accountable for delivering results of this multi-sectoral project.
- The PM will also oversee the activities, Administrative, HR and Logistics component of the multi sectoral project, ensuring operations quality, strategic programming and planning, as well as strategic growth and strong external and internal representation and advocacy.
- S / He will be responsible of the partnership with SI and the reporting mechanisms related to project achievements and M&E related aspects.
- S / he must be able to motivate and lead a diverse team of staff as well as effectively oversee the activities, budgets and partnerships.
- The successful candidate should possess significant experience managing program, financial and operations of ECHO or other international donor funded projects.
- This position is subject to project award and funding.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
- Oversee the implementation and completion of all technical requirements, including project results and deliverables, in accordance with the project work plan.
- Build and maintain productive working relationships with partnership leader (Solidarites International), ECHO, and key stakeholders at the international, national and sub-national level.
- Serve as the primary liaison among key project stakeholders.
- Manage the project’s operational, financial, and administrative priorities; direct the planning and budgeting processes.
- Create or adapt project management systems in line with INTERSOS’s standard operating procedures, ensuring consistency with project needs.
- Design and oversee an annual project cycle in accordance with INTERSOS’s annual planning cycles
- With staff and partners, translate project goals and objectives into implementable strategies and plans.
- Oversee the preparation of donor-required reports, M&E reports, and other deliverables, as specified in the agreement, reporting against the project’s targets.
- Represent the project at high-level meetings, conferences, and other fora.
- Guide team members to fulfill the project’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Supervise and mentor senior staff, delegating responsibilities as appropriate. Clearly communicate expectations for staff performance.
- National / local authorities, State institutions, local civil society and other relevant actors
- Establish appropriate links with national and local authorities, State institutions, local civil society and other relevant actors to maintain appropriate coordination and information exchange with them;
- Promote the capacity building of relevant authorities, where deemed necessary;
- Ensure robust and strategic information is available to enable partner management to review consortium management and implementation.
- Play a key role in consortium representation in formal and informal relationships with partner, donor, government authorities and other stakeholders, as appropriate.
- Support the design of cross consortium advocacy initiatives and participate in advocacy activities that target decision-makers in-country related to project advocacy objectives.
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Information Management and Reporting
- Ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and documentation of the program, and that any learning is built into the design of future programmatic work
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to supervisors and other team members.
- Draft (internal) narrative reports and contribute to the development of financial reports through regular budgetary follow up.
- Contribute to drafting of (external) technical reports, ensuring the quality and accuracy of information provided.
- Review the financial and expense reports to avoid under/overspending
- Ensure accurate budget forecasting and expense planning
- Responsible for all logistics procedures for the project in coordination with logistics department, ensuring Intersos and Donor requirements are met, and proper documentation is collected and maintained for all procurements.
- Contribute to the development of project procurement plans
Administration / HR:
- Ensure all administrative procedures are followed for staff in the field, updating personal details on file, accurate ToRs for each staff member, payroll, etc.
- Participate in the transparent and timely recruitment of project staff (developing organigrams, ToRs, elaborating recruitment tests)
- Ensure regular performance appraisal and career management of project teams
- Ensure a positive working environment and good team dynamics
- Manage interpersonal conflicts
- Ensure capacity building among project staff
- Transparency / Compliance
- Together with Security Coordinator, Head of Base and Fields Security focal points, assess risks in the areas of project implementation and develop context-specific CPP, MOSS and SOPs
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline (Social Sciences, International Relations / Development, Humanitarian Assistance, Business Administration or related field) from an accredited academic institution.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in either protection, CCCM, Health and Nutrition- Ideally a combination of Protection in emergency, H&N in Emergency, CCCM experience or exposure would be preferred. Knowldege of ECHO procedures would be considered an asset.
- Demonstrable experience of project management and the project management cycle including planning, monitoring, financial and budget management, reporting etc.
- Experience managing ECHO cooperative agreements and / or contracts as well as implementation of donor and INTERSOS priorities, including HDP Nexus, preferred.
- Experience managing complex activities involving coordination with multiple program partner institutions.
- Demonstrated skills building and maintaining relationships with host governments, donors, other donor-funded projects and stakeholders, local organizations, and partners.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; excellent demonstrated interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Experience recruiting, developing, and managing staff and teams.
- Previous experience in Nigeria is an advantage but not a requirement.
- Fluency in English is required; knowledge of local/regional languages is a plus.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Job Title: Country Programme Coordinator
Job Code: SR-49-1292
Location: Abuja (30%) with frequent travel to the states/regions (70%)
Starting date: 28th February, 2020
Contract duration: 12 months (with 3 month-long initial probation contract)
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: All the Project Managers (FS & L, CCCM / Shelter, Health & Nutrition, WASH, Partnership warehouses and M&E).
General Context of the Project
- The purpose of the Country Programme Coordinator position is to develop and ensure implementation of holistic high-quality programmes in Nigeria, responsible for providing technical inputs, guidance and support, and operational monitoring and evaluation, development and managing funding proposals, project budgets and donor reports.
General Purpose of the position
- As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), the Programmes Coordinator will jointly ensure the management and development of the country programme.
- The Programmes Coordinator supervises all programmes, with the specific responsibility for the timely and efficient programme implementation, and most importantly the quality of projects and programmes in terms of their impact.
- By supervising the implementation of results-based M&E systems, the Programmes Coordinator also guides the programme strategy and development of future programmes.
- Together with the Head of Mission, the Programmes Coordinator represents INTERSOS to donors and partners, ensuring that INTERSOS is recognised for its field experience.
- Furthermore, the Programmes Coordinator engages in medium and long-term planning and strategy activities, ensures continuous quality improvement of programmes and contributes towards a successful environment for the programme staff.
- Main responsibilities and tasks
- Lead the programme side of the development and implementation of the Country Strategic Plan
- Ensure that the overall programme is designed, managed and implemented in conformity to INTERSOS policies, strategy and guidelines.
- Context Analysis
- Analyse the country’s socio-economic situation, (donor) trends, needs and gaps
- Regularly conduct stakeholder analysis, in particular who does what and where (3W)
- Maintain active and regular working relationships with donors
- Maintain active and regular working relationships with other NGOs, UN agencies, clusters, working groups and consortia
- Regularly update a directory of donors, international and local NGOs, other partners and stakeholders
- Contribute to the reporting to national and local authorities as required by INTERSOS registration / legal status in country
- In the absence of Technical Coordinators, represent INTERSOS in key clusters and working group meetings
Fundraising and proposal development:
- Identify funding opportunities;
- Contribute to the identification of potential relevant international and/or local partners (private sector partners, national and international NGOs, think tanks, academia, etc.) to be included in proposals
- Liaise with Technical Coordinator to contribute to the ToRs of assessments to be conducted for proposal development and to request their input in the logframe development
- Contribute to the development of fundraising documents (be it expression of Interests/ Concept Notes/ Proposals) in line with INTERSOS country strategy and donor requirements and in close collaboration with INTERSOS HQ and finance
- Liaise with Head of Base, Project Managers and Technical Coordinators to ensure that proposals are relevant and technically sound
- Integrate learning from previous interventions (e.g. lessons learnt and best practices) into new proposals
- Involve Finance, Logistics, M&E, Technical Coordinators and Security teams in the development of fundraising documents, particularly finance for the budget and logistics in case of specific donor procurement rules
- Contribute to addressing in a timely manner all comments by donors on proposals in liaison with relevant staff in country and INTERSOS HQ and finance
- Read thoroughly all contracts before signature, seeking INTERSOS HQ and finance advice when required
- Ensure that contractual obligations (including visibility requirements) and reporting deadlines are known and met by Programme, and Finance, Logistics, M&E, Technical Coordinators and Security teams’ team
- When any issue is identified in meeting deliverables in the given timeframe and budget, inform relevant staff in country and seek INTERSOS HQ Program Department advice on potential solutions that would meet donor rules
- Participate in and take minutes of kick-off and close out meetings for each project
- Write quality narrative reports, reflecting the progress and status of projects in a transparent, timely and professional manner, in liaison with INTERSOS HQ and finance, which will contribute ultimately to steady cash inflow
- Liaise with section Heads (Finance, Logistics, M&E, Technical Coordinators and Security teams) teams when preparing reports, especially with finance to ensure greater coherence between financial and narrative reports by crosschecking the matching of data in the narrative and financial reports
- Contribute to the monthly update of the INTERSOS and ensure smooth and regular communication with INTERSOS HQ
- Ensure ad hoc requests from donors are addressed in liaison with the HoM, programme and support teams
- Ensure timely and high-quality reporting is done by all programmes to donors
- Ensure project developed meets high standards in terms of design, implementation and M&E through proper Project Cycle Management
- Prepare programme budgets collaboratively with programme and finance staff
- Track programme expenditure through monthly programme review meetings using financial expenditure reports prepared by the finance department.
- Ensure compliance to donor policies, procedures and procurement
- Ensure effective leadership and management of INTERSOS Nigeria programme through line management of Programme / Head of base or Project Managers where relevant
- Lead proposal writing processes from a programme perspective and coordinates with other departments
Human Resource Management:
- In consultation with the Head of Mission, plan HR needs, capacity building needs for senior program staff an enough human resources for the programme to meet its objectives
- Ensure coherent policy towards recruitment, remuneration and bonuses across the country programme
Documentation and Learning:
- Ensure that all programmes properly retain programme learning for future projects, and that all information is properly documented.
- Ensure that all official programme documentation is properly stored and available for the future.
- Relevant university degree (Master or Post graduate), in International Relations and / or Development, Political Science or similar field.
- Professional experience:
- Minimum 5 years of experience within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience in conflict / post-conflict contexts, with experience in supporting emergency responses, access and security analysis and management
- Substantial NGO project management experience, including responsibility for strategy design, staffing, admin/finance management, contract management and donor relations
- Experience of leading strategic programming and planning, implementation, monitoring and learning
- Proven track record of negotiating and advocating with government authorities and donors for solutions that serve the needs of beneficiaries, pursuing values of internationally recognized and universal character in a post-conflict context with a strong respect of local culture and tradition
- Ability to manage a large workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Ability to live and work under pressure in a rapidly changing and sometimes insecure environment
- Team player with excellent communication and strong participatory leadership skills
- Good understanding of displacement issues and related international standards / frameworks;
- Strong experience in programme development and proven program development abilities
- Fluency in English, spoken and written;
- Pro-active approach to work
- Able to work independently as well as being a strong team player
- Flexibility, capacity of managing stress, good diplomatic skills
- Available to share accommodation facilities when required
- Excellent team-working and team-building skills, as well as ability to work under high pressure and with flexibility
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work and integrate in a multicultural team
- Problem solver, dynamic, mature
- Confidently able to deal with authorities and donors
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 27th February, 2020.