Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Logistics Coordinator
Job No.: 200000UW
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- Level 3. The responsibilities of this post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children and young people.
- As part of these responsibilities the post holder will support the establishment of child safeguarding systems, promote a culture of keeping children safe, and ensure that potential harm to children (by our own staff and / or as a result of how we do our work) is identified and addressed on an ongoing basis
- The post holder should report and respond to interventions as determined by position related responsibilities identified in the Child Safeguarding Policy.
- This role will support the HSCM (Humanitarian Supply Chain Manager) to coordinate the setup or scale up of emergency response logistics functions and responsibilities and may supervise and manage National logistics staff, under the supervision of the HSCM
- This role will include logistics support either to Maiduguri office.
- In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Humanitarian Supply Chain Manager
- Staff reporting to this post: Assets Officer, Warehouse Officer and Fleet Assistant
- Budget Responsibilities: None.
- Role Dimensions: This role will support the HSCM to coordinate the setup or scale up of emergency response logistics functions
Qualifications and Experience
- Education – A Degree in Logistics or an equivalent field
- Minimum of 5 years post NYSC experience in logistics management in the NGO sector, within complex/large scale country programmes and in emergency response / humanitarian environments
- Proven experience in al technical areas of logistics operations including transport / distribution, warehousing and stock management, fleet management, asset management, and security
- Experience of working in remote field bases with limited infrastructure
- Experienced in managing and supervising others in logistics
- Ability to synthesise and analyse information, and make clear, informed decisions
- Ability to build relationships quickly with a wide range of people, both internally and externally
- Strong planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities
- Cultural awareness, with strong written and spoken communication and interpersonal skills in English
- Technical experience / training in specific areas of logistics e.g. fleet mechanics, IT / communications networks
- Technical experience / knowledge in specific types of humanitarian intervention eg Health, WASH, Food Security
- Working knowledge of the local language(s).
Key Areas of Accountability
- Coordinate with Program Managers / Budget Holders to ensure the needed support for program implementation is given with efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ensure that Save the Children minimum standards of logistics procedures, country and donor policies are implemented and adhered to in the area of responsibility:
- Assets – All assets are recorded in assets register, documentation and filing is up to date and shared the updated version with CO
- Warehouse and Stock Management – all programme stocks are received in accordance with the Purchase Order specifications, properly recorded in a timely manner, preserved in mint condition, organized according to type and homogeneity and dispatched in line with program distribution plan
- Fleet – all transport needs are covered and vehicles and records well-maintained
- All generators are functioning and fuelling done in time. Log sheets filled appropriately
- Manage and support logistics staff including ensuring clear division of responsibilities, clear objectives, and management of performance
- Provide logistics training and capacity building as required
- Provide support to Humanitarian Supply Chain Manager on areas relating to budgets, technical aspects of the programme, and implementation mechanisms as required.
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Understanding humanitarian contexts and application of humanitarian principles
- Leads on the development of an organisational response based on an understanding of the contexts
Achieving results effectively:
- Accountability – ensure efficient and transparent use of resources in line with Save the Children policies and procedures
- Addresses difficult situations and makes tough decisions confidently and calmly
- Maintains focus on delivery of timely and appropriate results using available resources; identifies and acts on issues and problems in area of responsibility
Maintaining and developing collaborative relationships:
- Establishes clear objectives with teams and individuals, and monitors progress and performance
Operating safely and securely:
- Identifies and communicates risk and threats and minimises these for oneself and the agency
- Takes measures to do no harm and to minimise risks for partners and the communities
- Reduces vulnerability by complying with safety and security protocols set by the organisation
Managing yourself in a pressured and changing environment::
- Keeps oneself emotionally stable when helping others
- Remains effective and retains perspective in the face of difficult or demanding situations
- Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in accordance with relevant codes of conduct
- Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well under pressure
- Takes responsibility for own work and impact of actions
Leadership: Action; Thinking; Self; Inspiring; Developing Others:
- Delivers results and always acts with the beneficiaries in mind
- Anticipates current and future needs
- Tailors communication style to certain audiences
Demonstrates approach-ability and trust by listening carefully to others and valuing their contributions, and making others feel comfortable by being open and honest about their thoughts and feelings
Deadline: 19th February, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.