The Nigeria Maritime University, Okerenkoko was established by Federal Government in 2015. The University was established among other objectives to expand the frontiers of knowledge and provide opportunities for Nigeria to be a Leading player in the world’s maritime industry and economy; and to produce first rate mariners that would keep the Country’s flag aloft across the oceans and waterways of the world.
Application are invited from suitably qualified candidate to fill the vacant positions below that will be vacant soon in our University:
Job Title: Vice Chancellor
- The Governing Council of Nigeria Maritime University, Okerenkoko, Delta State hereby announces that the position of Vice-chancellor of the University will soon be vacant and so invites interested and suitably qualified individuals to submit their applications.
Functions of the Vice-Chancellor
- Subject to the provisions of the University Law, the Vice-Chancellor shall take precedence over all other members of the University except the Pro-Chancellor and Chancellor.
- Subject to the provisions of the University Law, the Vice-Chancellor shall have the general function of directing the activities of the University and shall be the Chief Executive and Academic Officer of the University and Chairman of the Senate.
Qualities and Qualifications Requirements
- Applicant shall be conversant with University business, particularly with records that could guarantee academic standards and discipline.
- Applicant must show evidence of understanding of the academic, national and international objectives of Universities.
- He / She must be a person of courage who can take decisions on merit of facts and principles and not on basis of pressures from individuals or groups.
- He / She must be information and communication technology proficient.
- Applicant must be of good health and shall show evidence of it at the interview for selection if shortlisted.
- Applicants shall not be more than sixty five (65) years as at the time of his / her assumption of duty as Vice-Chancellor and shall be person not below the rank of Professor of not less than eight (8) years standing, and with cognate experience in University Administration and Management.
- He / She must possess a PhD. Degree or its equivalent in Marine Engineering, Nautical Science and Mechanical Engineering or Maritime related disciplines.
- He / She must show evidence of academic leadership and sound scholarship by way of research, publications and mentoring of students and fellow staff.
- He / She shall be a person of unblemished character and personality, morally sound and free from disciplinary and financial embarrassment.
- He / She shall be well exposed and versatile in international relations; and with a profile to command national and international respect.
- The Vice-Chancellor shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years only on such terms and conditions as may be specified in his / her letter of appointment.
Conditions of Service
- The conditions of service are attractive and as approved by the Government for Nigerian Universities.
Vision / Mission:
- Applicant must submit a statement of not more than 500 words of the Vision and Mission of Administration of the University, if appointed as Vice-Chancellor.
Job Title: University Librarian
Functions of the University Librarian
- The University Librarian is the Head and Officer-in-Charge of the University Library. He / She is responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the day to day administration of the affairs of the University Library.
- Applicants for the post of University Librarian must exhibit considerable degree of competence, responsiveness, demonstrable integrity and transparency on matters of Library administration and management.
- Applicants must be in good health and able to endure the rigours of the duties of the University Librarian. Candidates must possess the following qualities: vision, proven academic distinction, managerial ability, integrity and transparency in public life.
- In addition, candidates should have the ability to develop linkages with external communities to support the emerging needs of the University, command respect and arouse cooperation and loyalty to staff and students of the University.
- Prospective candidates must show innovative approaches to running of an ICT driven Library, working at the highest level of efficiency to promote and sustain a vibrant Library including an e-library of world-class standard with up to date volumes.
Qualification and Experience
- Candidate must have contributed to knowledge through research and publications in reputable Journals.
- Applicants should not be more than sixty (60) years as at the time of his / her assumption of duty as University Librarian.
- The candidate must possess Ph.D. in Library and Information Science from a recognized University plus at least fifteen (15) years cognate experience and must have risen to the position of Deputy University Librarian in a University setting.
Conditions of Service & Remuneration
- The remuneration and other allowances and fringe benefits are as applicable to the post of University Librarian of all Nigerian Federal Universities as may be determined from time to time by the Government / Governing Council as appropriate.
- The successful candidate shall hold office for a single term of five (5) years only, on such terms and conditions applicable to Federal Universities in Nigeria and may be determined by appropriate University Laws and Governing Council. Candidates who do not have the required five (5) years for a full term before retirement need not apply.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit Thirty-five (35) copies of application with comprehensive CV in a sealed envelope.
The Curriculum Vitae should include information on the following:
- Name of the Applicant in fill (Surname first);
- Post desired;
- Date and Place of Birth;
- Email Address;
- Permanent Home Address;
- Current Postal Address;
- Marital Status;
- Number and Ages of Children (if any);
- Educational Institutions Attended with dates;
- Academic and Professional Qualifications obtained with dates and locations;
- Name(s) and address(es) of Previous Employer(s), stating status;
- Name and address of Present Employer, Post. Date and Salary;
- Research Journal / Book Publications;
- Administrative and Mentoring Experience;
- Academic Distinctions / Special Awards (if any)
- Extracurricular Activities;
- Names and addresses of three (3) referees, at least one of whom must be in a position to provide reliable academic / professional opinion about the applicant.
Applicants should request their referees to forward their views in confidential cover to the address below before the closing dates
All applications should be addressed and submitted to:
The Registrar & Secretary to Council,
Nigeria Maritime University, Okerenkoko,
P.M.B. 1005, Warri,
Note: Only shortlisted candidates would be invited for interview.
Application Deadline 8th April, 2020.