The World Bank Group – Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2018, the WBG committed $67 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $24 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members. It is governed by 188-member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 15,000 staff located globally.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Investment Officer
Job #: req5470
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
- Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities to create markets and opportunities where they are needed most. Visit www.ifc.org.
- The International Finance Corporation (“IFC”), the private sector arm of the World Bank Group, is a global leader, investor and advisor committed to projects in its developing member countries that reduce extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. IFC finances private sector investments, mobilizes capital in the international financial markets, helps clients improve social and environmental sustainability, and provides technical assistance and advice to businesses and governments in the developing world.
- Private sector financial development is essential to the promotion of successful and sustainable economies in low- and middle-income countries around the world. Sound and efficient financial markets can ensure that resources are allocated where they are most productive, assisting job creation and spurring economic growth. IFC’s goal is to prioritize investment in the financial sector because it promotes development in all other sectors.
- The Financial Institutions Group (“FIG”) is one of three major industry groups at IFC, responsible for managing roughly 40% of IFC’s overall business in terms of volume and capital at risk. FIG engages in a wide range of sub-sectors including Microfinance, SME, Gender, Climate, Insurance, Capital Markets, Housing, Distressed Assets, and other areas, with both investment and advisory services delivered globally to IFC’s clients through IFC’s global network.
- FIG is recruiting one Principal Investment Officer (“PIO”) to join the investment team which originates, manages and monitors IFC’s financial sector investments, including investments that support the institution’ regional expansion across the Middle East and Africa (MEA) region.
- The Principal Investment Officer will report to the FIG Regional Industry Manager covering West and Central Africa (WCA).
Duties and Accountabilities
- The Principal Investment Officer (PIO) will lead and implement business development for financial institutions in the anglophone markets of West and Central Africa (WCA).
- He / She will be in charge of devising a business development strategy to catalyze investments in the financial sector, including developing solutions to open new markets and build new relationships with strategic, top tier clients and stakeholders.
The PIO will:
- Perform the role of IFC Client Service lead, a top-level relationship manager for financial institutions at CEO, board and key shareholder level;
- Lead the growth of client business, preparation and execution of client engagement strategies covering the relevant markets within WCA or beyond as relevant.
- Support the implementation of projects, including client interaction at top decision maker-level
- Support the supervision of projects, including client interaction at top decision maker-level, analytical assessments, on-site reviews and the preparation of internal project documentation for results, sustainability and development effectiveness;
- Mentor and coach less-experienced investment and advisory services staff and help build talent and grow skill base of staff;
- In coordination with transactions teams, ensure quality in the origination and structuring of new transactions in a strategic context;
- Provide insight into sector developments in the financial services sector to anticipate new investment opportunities and performance issues;
- Lead upstream market creation approaches or interventions for the financial sector which includes engagement with senior management across the WBG, other senior external stakeholders (e.g. senior government officials) on needed market and regulatory reforms;
- Build teams, network of peers and partnerships for success
- Build IFC’s knowledge base for best practices and participate in knowledge sharing and dissemination; and
- Provide best-practice technical advice to IFC staff and external clients.
- Master’s degree in Finance or similar relevant education; accreditation as a CFA or CPA is considered a plus;
- 14+ years of relevant experience in the financial sector, including a solid operational understanding of commercial banks and other financial entities in Nigeria and / or West & Central Africa in particular, and the Africa region in general;
- Demonstrated network of top-level contacts in the financial services and investment industries in the sub-region;
- Documented experience and expertise in identifying, evaluating, structuring and negotiating private debt and equity investments; experience in portfolio management;
- Sound business judgment and strong problem solving/negotiation skills, as well as the ability to work effectively on simultaneous projects under time pressure;
- Knowledge and Experience in International Economic Development Arena;
- Excellent business judgment and strong analytical and problem-solving skills to identify issues and present creative, practical solutions.
- Capacity to deal with conflicting priorities and deliver high-quality work on schedule; facility to work successfully in multicultural teams and across boundaries;
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with the business community and governmental authorities, as needed; and
- The position requires regional and international travel.
- Required Language(s): English
Deadline: 16th February, 2020; 11:59pm UTC
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3-year term appointment.