The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting on behalf of ICRISAT to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Supervisor (Crop-Livestock)
Location: Biu, Borno
Contract: 1 year renewable contract
- B.Sc / HND in Agriculture, Animal Science or related fields with minimum of two (2) years working experience performing related roles.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have demonstrated ability to carry out ToT capacity building and farmers groups trainings.
- Have excellent written and spoken communication skills, including presentations
- Be computer literacy with proficient knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications.
- Be proficiency in English language with excellent communication skills.
- Shows commitment to teamwork with minimal supervision by working positively and cooperatively with others.
- Have field-based experiences in Agriculture sector development projects implementation.
- Have good knowledge of Sudan Savanah ecologies and communities in Nigeria with proven farmers capacity building, technology and innovation dissemination qualities.
- Have previous experience in livestock systems
- Have experience with community-based projects implementation and/or smallholder-oriented development initiatives are desirable.
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Implement capacity building for stakeholders (extension agents, farmers’ groups, technicians) on the use of small and medium-scale machines and implements related to Sorghum production and processing;
- Organize technical support for the farmer on best practices and techniques as related to arable crop production and post-harvest handling;
- Identify and introduce appropriate machines and implements for drudgery reductions in arable crop production and post-harvest handling;
- Promote adoption and use of appropriate technologies for crop-livestock integration;
- Demonstrate new technologies of livestock feeding and practice to increase livestock productivities;
- Supervise and support field-based staff including community-based facilitators and farmers implementing field activities in the FIF projects;
- Supervise in conjunction with other project staff as may be required, annual field surveys on the agronomic, socio-economic and livelihoods aspects of crop and livestock farming including data analysis and reporting;
- Write monthly, quarterly summaries and annual reports to the Supervisors as may be required for purposes of program documentation, M&E and reporting to donors;
- Provide feedback and manage information to/from stakeholders (farmer organization, private sector value chain actors, etc);
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Deadline: 25th February, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should complete the online application below, attaching detailed Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, a professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.