FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Officer, PrEP Collaborative Learning
Reference No.: 2020200382
Supervisor: Project Director
Job Type: Full time
- Collaboration for HIV Prevention Options to Control the Epidemic (CHOICE) is an 18-month collaboration funded by USAID, in partnership with PEPFAR, through the Office of HIV/AIDS’ five-year central mechanisms: Meeting Targets and Maintaining Epidemic Control (EpiC) and Reaching Impact, Saturation, and Epidemic Control (RISE).
- The goal of this partnership is to address technical gaps and support national scale-up of antiretroviral-based HIV prevention products (collectively referred to as PrEP) in PEPFAR countries through catalytic evidence generation, translation, and research utilization.
- CHOICE is led by FHI 360 and Jhpiego. CHOICE harnesses collaborative engagement and research utilization expertise to increase awareness, expand access, build capacity, and support effective use of PrEP.CHOICE works primarily in Nigeria (through the facilitation of a PrEP Learning Collaborative to bring together stakeholders, share tools and resources, and ultimately accelerate PrEP rollout), as well as Kenya, Lesotho, and Tanzania. Tools and resources generated across CHOICE activities will be leveraged regionally. CHOICE priority states in Nigeria are Rivers, Niger, Cross Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Lagos, and Bayelsa
- The Technical Officer, Prep Collaborative Learning will be the Country Office lead expert responsible for all administrative, technical, programmatic, advocacy, and reporting responsibilities related to the CHOICE program in Nigeria.
- S/he will lead efforts initially in the states of Rivers, Niger, Cross Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Lagos, and Bayelsa.
- S/He will represent CHOICE at the TWG, and provide support needed to advance PrEP rollout as determined by the GoN/TWG (e.g. support national policy and implementation plan development, value chain situational analysis, serving as liaison to secretariat if/as desired by the ministry, etc.)
Qualifications / Requirements
- MBBS or PhD in Public Health, Pharmacy, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Social Science or other relevant subjects and at least 1 – 3 years’ post-NYSC relevant experience in clinical care with a sound understanding of HIV/AIDS with provision of anti-retroviral therapy (ART), PrEP and Prevention (HTS, Gender, Condom, STIs, etc.) in resource constrained settings.
- Or MSc/MS in Public Health, Pharmacy, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Social Science or other relevant subjects and at least 3 – 5 years’ post-NYSC relevant experience in clinical care with a sound understanding of HIV/AIDS with provision of anti-retroviral therapy (ART), PrEP and Prevention (HTS, Gender, Condom, STIs, etc.) in resource constrained settings.
- Or Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Public Health, Pharmacy, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Social Science or other relevant subjects and at least 5 – 7 years’ post-NYSC relevant experience in clinical care with a sound understanding of HIV/AIDS with provision of anti-retroviral therapy (ART), PrEP and Prevention (HTS, Gender, Condom, STIs, etc.) in resource constrained settings.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify challenges, gaps, barriers to PrEP rollout in Nigeria, based on national and state-level engagement with NACA, SACA, the USAID mission, CDC, and implementing partners
- Will represent CHOICE at national and state level convenings and discussion- advocating for PrEP availability for all those at risk, establish and maintain working relationships with relevant national and state officials to facilitate CHOICE work. Serve as a liaison between EpiC and TMEC-RISE for the project, to ensure awareness of CHOICE activities
- Work with EpiC Project Director and RISE CoP to identify stakeholders for the Learning Collaborative and serve as POC for LC activities (webinars and face-to-face meetings)
- Provide regular report backs (by phone and email) to the CHOICE Nigeria workstream team and work with technical coordinator for CHOICE Nigeria workshop (based in FHI 360 HQ) through EpiC PD to provide input and support for OPTIONS tool application; serve as on the ground POC for all of CHOICE technical support work in Nigeria
- Provide regular updates to EpiC and RISE on CHOICE activities
- Carry out state and national level stakeholder engagement to identify barriers to PrEP rollout and work to identify tools and resources to address barriers with support of the broader CHOICE team and TWG
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with relevant agencies (government, funder/donor, NGOs) and deliver on all PrEP-related donor reporting requirements
- Develop tools to implement and evaluate progress against stated/approved goals
- Oversee the coordination of two Learning Collaborative face-to-face workshops: including invitations, venue selection and logistics (catering, audiovisual coordination, venue communications and coordination)
- This position will require 25-30% travel within Nigeria to support states selected for participation in the Learning Collaborative (to better understand PrEP landscape at the state level, identify challenges, provide technical support implementing tools/resources, and carry out state level engagement as needed).
- S/he will support the TWG as requested and appropriate (directly or through linking with the technical team within CHOICE, EpiC or RISE); in areas of policy development, provider training curriculum development or training execution, demand creation, or M&E.
- Develop work plans to deliver workstream deliverables and carry out engagement activities in a timely manner
- Identify and document good practice regarding PrEP rollout in Nigeria
- Report for financial management and accountability as per allocated budgets to the Project Director.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Experience managing USG grants including CDC grants.
- Good facilitation abilities, including communication with both technical and non-technical audience.
- Demonstrated advocacy leadership skills and the ability to work collaboratively with IPs, donors and host country partners and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated written, presentation, communication and organizational skills in English.
- Proven experience working with and building the capacity of Ministries of Health (MoH) and understanding of MoH systems at national and sub-national levels.
- Cultural sensitivity and sound understanding of the needs of KPs especially FSW, MSM, PWID, Transgender, prisoners and general populations.
- Demonstrated understanding of implementation of combination prevention in KP program and comprehensive HIV services including HTS, PNS, ICT, ART, VL optimization, referral.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public health sector, NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.
- Previous experience working with USAID or PEPFAR supported program and KP led organization.
- Demonstrated ability to perform robust data extraction from internal and external information systems.
- Minimum of 25 % travel.
Deadline: 6th March, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online