The Health Strategy and Delivery Foundation (HSDF), is a non-profit firm established in December 2013. The organisation was established to improve the quality of decision-making and execution in the health sector. HSDF supports key stakeholders at all levels of the government and private sector by providing strong analytical support and deploying innovative frameworks and tools to generate measurable and sustainable results.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Data Engineer
Duration: 9 months renewable, based on performance
Supervision: Reports to Project Manager for Data and Analytics
- Through programs implemented in various Nigerian states, HSDF collects data from a myriad of stakeholders. Data includes, but is not limited to routine data from health facilities, assessments of health facilities, staff and health systems and surveys.
- HSDF also utilizes health data from external sources such as the DHIS, NDHS, Smart Survey, SDI Survey. The company is currently undergoing transformation to centralize all aspects of data (collection, entry, storage, analysis) and is developing an analytics hub.
- HSDF is looking to build a healthcare analytics hub which serves as an aggregator of multiple types of health data, generates actionable insights to guide decision making and inform deep-dives for all categories of healthcare information.
- We have identified a data engineer as a key role in developing and sustaining the transformation and innovation.
Duties and Deliverables:
- Technical supervisor for all data collection activities within the organization. These include surveys, interviews, etc
- Collect, categorize and store all types and formats of data generated by project teams across all workstreams (prospective and retrospective)
- Maintaining company-wide data collection processes and databases
- Ensuring that data from all programs across all HSDF locations (e.g., Nigeria, U.S., Liberia, etcЕ) is secure
- Work with internal stakeholders (e.g., Team Leads, Program Managers, Associates, Analysts, Procurement, Finance, Consultants) and external stakeholders (e.g., consultants, enumerators) to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members
- Implement end-to-end ETL and automation of the data collection and storage processes
- Automating data collection pipelines to update companyТs databases
- Manage and maintain AWS account and SQL database
- Manage engagement with external vendors, including developers, as appropriate
- Carry out other ad-hoc tasks required for the success of the activities mentioned above or as designated by the Data and Analytics Project Manager and Data and Performance Management Team Lead.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or another quantitative field; a Master’s degree or higher qualification will offer a distinct advantage
- Strong analytical skills and project management skills
- Experience working with a variety of structured and unstructured datasets
- Demonstrate an understanding of various data formats (CSV, JSON, DAT, TSV etc.)
- Experience developing scalable data architecture
- Demonstrate a good understanding of data science lifecycle
- Experience of using and setting up cloud-based infrastructure in platforms such as AWS, Azure or GCP
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience designing and working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of database engines
- Experience working with, and developing in EXCEL, SQL (MySQL) and NoSQL (MongoDB) databases
- Demonstrate experience working with Python and/or R and/or any of JVM (Java, Kotlin, Groovy, Scala) programming languages
- Strong communication and business-presentation skills
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Fluency in English (listening, reading, writing, and speaking)
- Effective planning and project management and organizational skills with the ability to set and work towards (personal, team and client) deadlines.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement
- Demonstrate an ability to successfully manipulate, process and extract value from large data sets that are not necessarily related
- Experience developing RESTful APIs using frameworks such as Flask, Django Rest Framework, Spring Boot, Plumbr or similar
- Experience in working with public-sector organizations would be preferable.
Deadline: 15th April, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online