International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in under-served communities worldwide.
We are looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Director
Job Id: 19-427
- International Medical Corps has been operating in Nigeria since November 2013, and currently has projects in Kano and Borno States. In Borno, International Medical Corps has been actively implementing interventions to support vulnerable populations recently affected by conflict and displacement due to Boko Haram insurgency. Northeastern Nigeria has experienced large-scale population displacement over the last few years because of the Boko Haram insurgency.
- Currently it is estimated that at 8.5 million people need humanitarian assistance in the three affected states of Yobe, Adamawa and Borno in North eastern Nigeria, of these, 4.4 million are in Borno state alone. There are 1.4 million IDPs in Borno, accounting for 69% of all IDPs in the three states. The IDPs are either living in informal settlements, host communities, or government designated formal IDP camps around Maiduguri town, the capital city of Borno State.
- Since Oct. 2016, International Medical Corps has been implementing an Emergency Nutrition Response project supported by the World Food Program/WFP. This program distributes food commodities. The current WFP aims to reach 136,000 beneficiaries with commodities for BSFP under 5 years, PLW and General Food Distribution. IMC runs coordinated programs with support from OFDA, USAID and The Government of the Netherlands with International Medical Corps’ largest project implementing integrated emergency humanitarian response programs in Borno State focusing on WASH, Nutrition and GBV through targeting internally displaced persons and host communities.
- The Finance Director directly oversees all financial, accounting and administrative activities including human resources administration and all finance administrative activities and reporting in the country offices.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting or Economics
- Master’s Degree is desirable
- Minimum 3-5 years managerial experience in a non-profit organization or equivalent experience, training and education
- Extensive experience in the administrative and financial management of overseas programs at the management level
- Extensive experience in working with computerized accounting systems, preferably Deltek/CP
- Comprehensive knowledge and working experience with USAID, World Bank, EU, DfID and other donors
- Experience in developing and managing procurement and logistical procedures and policies
- Skills and knowledge in program sustainability and capacity building, public-private partnerships and project monitoring and evaluation (both quantitative and qualitative methods)
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Proven capabilities in leadership required
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal and organization skills
- Ability to read, write, analyze and interpret, technical and non-technical in the English language
- Ability to effectively present information and respond appropriately to questions from senior managers in the field and HQ, counterparts, senior government and rebel leaders and other related regional players.
Code of Conduct:
- It is our shared responsibility and obligation to prevent matters involving Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Trafficking in Persons, Child Safeguarding and any suggested violation to our Code of Conduct, which may involve Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment. If you see, hear or are made aware of any suggested activities then you have an obligation to report.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation. The tasks listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Accounting and Finance Management:
- Ensure compliance with the organization and donor regulations and procedures; establishing finance and supporting function policies, systems and procedures, and directing or performing their development, documentation, and implementation
- Supervise and ensure that the day-to-day accounting operations and financial management functions in field offices are performed in accordance with internal policy and procedures
- Review and account for procurement transactions to ensure adequate supporting documentation, accuracy of amounts and control over payments
- Suggests formats for financial reporting to aid financial statement users to better understand the contents of the reports for decision-making and strategic planning purposes
- Ensures the maintenance of accurate records of financial transactions of the country office (main and field offices) in order to monitor financial status of all project activities
- Manages the finance department of the country office to meet the financial reporting requirements of in-country management and Headquarters; This function includes ensuring that all financial reports are submitted on or before the deadlines set and contain relevant information for all the users of the financial reports
- Directs the preparation of all financial reports for external purposes in respect to accounting, legal and contractual requirements
- Maintains the organizations system of accounts ensuring all accounting data are updated, reconciled and fully supported
- Oversee training of finance staff and provide technical support to country program and logistics
- Supervise or prepare budgets
- Present & facilitate review of actual to budget expenditures with Country Director and Site Managers
- Provide recommendations for budget realignments as required
- Make frequent visits to field offices provide training to finance staff on internal procedures and requirements
Training / Capacity Building:
- Determine training needs for finance and human resources staff
- Train senior national staff to increase their responsibilities in order to build capacity and ensure sustainability of programs
- Advocate and plan for professional development for expat and national staff
- Maintain frequent communication with Regional Finance Coordinator to ensure finance activities and objectives are communicated
- Work with Country Director and Logistics staff to ensure the coordination of programs are within budgeted targets
- Attend coordination meetings which are relevant to country activities
- Interface with national government and relevant agencies to ensure compliance with varying government regulations
- Serve as the principal liaison with donors on matters related to the program to ensure financial and programmatic accountability to donors
- Establish and update contact details of potential donors in-country
- Participate in donor meetings and communicate relevant information to HQ
- Work with key donor Staff to develop and maintain optimum financial and programmatic relationship
- Ensure maximum visibility of the agency amongst the NGO community
- Lead the production of reports and ensure the timeliness and accuracy of information provided, as well ensuring confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organizations Code of Conduct, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to internal and external actors
- Ensures financial considerations are planned for and implemented as required at each security level
- Ensures application and compliance of security protocols and policies
- Sends copies of key internal documents to HQ for back-up
- Facilitates emergency and non-emergency security expenditures
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online