Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In a disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Graduate Finance Intern
Location: BIU, Borno
Length of Internship: 12 Months
Interns Supervisor: Finance Officer
Program / Department Summary
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the country team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Nigeria including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
At the end of the internship period, the intern should have acquired the following skills and knowledge:
- Understand how to manage the archiving of all financial documents and follow up with staff for any missing documents.
- How to Maintain the bank file, ensuring that all bank information is properly filed and updated
- Know how to prepare and Maintain filling records of all program activities and other related financial documents.
- Know how to prepare Bank Cheques upon receiving payment schedule and disburse it to staff.
- Understand how to perform petty cash count on time.
- Understand the maintenance of all accounting records; know how to ensure that records are complete, accurate and safeguarded.
- Know how to identify and follow up on any outstanding obligations and Keeps records of all cash, bank and advance updated.
- Understand Mercy Corps policies, procedures, grant requirements, and documentation requirements.
- Understand Mercy Corps FFM, procurement, assets management, HR policies, and procedures.
- Make sure that all supporting documentation is prepared and filed according to MC procedures.
- Make sure all required documentations are attached, calculations are correct, appropriate approvals and reviews are made according to AAM.
- Keeps record of all finance documents and reports are properly filled, labeled and store in a clear and easily accessible manner following the FFM.
- Maintain the petty cash box and carry out weekly and monthly cash counts as directed by the supervisors.
- Make sure all income taxes, withholding tax, VAT and other taxes are withheld and remitted to relevant tax authorities on a monthly basis.
- Print off all payment voucher and match with the document to be filled.
The ideal candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Accuracy in the processing of cash transactions, mathematical aptitude and attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written English skills. (Understanding of local language is an added advantage).
- 1 Years of bookkeeping, banking or cashiering experience.
- Completed mandatory 1-year NYSC service.
- A degree in Accounting or relevant experience in this area is desirable.
Remuneration / Work Condition
Mercy Corps Responsibilities (Salary):
- For the duration of this internship assignment, the intern will receive NGN 60,000 as a monthly stipend.
- Intern will remain responsible for all costs associated with:
- Living expenses.
- This position is based in BIU with 5-10% travels to other field locations.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit no more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to email@example.com using the “Job title” as the subject of the email.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be invited.
Application Deadline 2nd April 2020.