Health Initiatives for Safety and Stability in Africa (HIFASS), is a non-profit organization registered in 2007 in Nigeria with a core objective of expanding quality health care and treatment in Africa. Our vision is enhancing healthier and safer communities, while our mission is to collaborate with partners to promote comprehensive and sustainable interventions for public health, support military medicine and health diplomacy for peace, stability and development of communities. Over the years HIFASS has provided manpower and associated technical support to PEPFAR, Research activities, USAID and World Bank funded projects in Nigeria and further more played a role in the management of personnel services.
We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
Job Title: Medical Officer II – Research
Location: Makurdi, Benue
Reports to: Site Team Leader
Open to: All interested Applicants
Work Hours: full-time 40 hours/week
- Under the supervision of the Site Team Leader, the Medical Officer will provide research based medical services for the RV466 protocol being implemented at the site by the NMOD HIP/WRP-N program.
- Clinical care focusing on management of in-patient services in the Medical and Emergency wards of the hospital would be rendered as appropriate.
Essential Job Functions, Duties And Responsibilities
- Implements and oversees the management of clinical research activities and protocols to support the NMOD HIP/WRP-N mission.
- Supervises research staff in support of the RV466 protocol.
- Examines, interviews, counsels and manages RV466 research participants.
- Analyzes data and prepares scientific papers for presentation at local and international meetings and for publication in medical and scientific periodicals.
- Leverages expertise in support of expansion of research activities on site.
- Ensure regular clinical review of site performance with the clinical staff and data officers.
- Will be involved in managing Medicine Department in-patients at the hospital.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally as required.
- Performs other assignments as required.
Minimum Education / Training Requirements:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Medicine & Surgery (MBBS or MB BCh) is required. Training in Good Clinical Practice and Ethics is required.
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, or Clinical Research will be added advantage.
Prior Work Experience:
- The incumbent must have three or more years of experience as a medical practitioner.
- Prior experience in clinical research is essential.
- Experience in Infectious Diseases is desired.
- Familiarity with healthcare service delivery in military formation will be an added advantage.
- Level IV English (fluency in both written and oral) is required.
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration:
- Must possess a valid practicing license with the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria.
Knowledge and skills:
- Completion of CITI Group 3 Modules with at least 80% Score in each module.
- Knowledge of clinical medicine and the procedures and techniques necessary for performing research tasks.
- Knowledge of clinical research programs under “Good Clinical Practices”.
- Knowledge of research regulatory procedures.
- Knowledge of Nigerian clinical setting –including government and non-government settings.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical concerns involved in clinical research.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among research staff, consultants, and study participants.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Understanding of military healthcare service delivery will be an added advantage.
- May be assigned to supervise study personnel.
- Candidates must be resident or ready to relocate to Makurdi. The venue of the interview will be communicated and candidates invited for interview will be responsible for their transportation and accommodation.
Job Title: Biomedical Engineer
Reports to: Facilities Lab Supervisor and Research Manager
Open to: All interested Applicants
Work Hours: full-time 40 hours / week
- The incumbent will provide technical support to the program in the installation, calibration, preventive and reparative maintenance of all laboratory equipment, appliances and related equipment.
- S/He will be assigned to specific sites as directed. Specific duties will include, but not limited to the following:
Essential Job Functions, Duties And Responsibilities – 90%
- Assist in the installation, calibration and maintenance, of all equipment and appliances acquired by the program to locations including NMOD or DOD locations as directed (primary site of work is located at 68 NARHY, however up to 70% travel to other sites – domestic and international – is expected).
- Liaise with equipment providers to the organization, monitor and ensure the implementation of contractual agreement on all equipment procured by the program
- Train operators in the use, care and maintenance of equipment.
- As directed, respond to equipment fault requests; perform repair services and preventive maintenance.
- Support monitoring for any and all equipment for optimal performance.
- Maintain maintenance records of all equipment such as installation date, warranty, preventive and routine maintenance schedules fault record and repair and training
- Prepare and submit activities report immediately an activity is completed for proper documentation and management.
- Provide onsite training to site instrument technicians on basic equipment maintenance.
- As directed, carry out facility maintenance including water supply & treatment, electrical and fire alarm systems, civil and mechanical works at Defence Reference Laboratory.
- Assist on installation, operation and maintenance of liquid nitrogen plant and generators at 68 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital (68 NARHY) to produce liquid nitrogen.
- Assist logistics unit in ensuring proper warehousing of all laboratory equipment and other medical devices.
- Assist laboratory scientist in samples preservation and shipment using generated liquid nitrogen.
- Support Clinical Research Center on equipment maintenance.
Other Duties 10%:
- Performs other related job duties as assigned or requested.
- Minimum Education / Training Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in Biomedical Engineering or its equivalent is required.
- Prior Work Experience: A minimum of 3 years working experience as a Biomedical Engineer.
- Language Proficiency: Level IV English (fluency in both written and oral) is required
Required Licenses / Certification:
- Registration: N/A
- Supervision Exercised: N/A
- Supervisory Received: Supervision by the Senior Biomedical Engineer DRL and the Research Manager.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Thorough understanding of the underlying principles of physics and electronics as it applies to laboratory and related medical devices. Knowledge and skill in equipment installation, calibration and preventive maintenance.
- Knowledge of electronic circuitry and technical aspects of operation, repair and maintenance of electronic equipment.
- Knowledge of Computer Applications and Troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of Electromechanical, Instrumentation and Control Systems; Good Communication and Interpersonal Skills.
- Knowledge on current regulatory requirements of medical instrumentations.
- Knowledge of computers and how they interface with medical equipment. Ability to analyze, repair, and test electronic and electromechanical equipment.
- Ability to interpret schematics, wiring diagrams, and illustrated parts drawings of biomedical instrumentations.
- Ability and skill to maintain accurate records of repairs, calibration, and tests.
- Ability to move or lift up to 50 pounds of equipment; to push/pull equipment carts; and to kneel, stand, bend and reach during equipment repair.
- Ability to work as team and be multi-tasking.
- Up to 70% domestic and international travel required.
- This laboratory supports work of investigators of diverse scientific disciplines and nationalities and requires good interpersonal skills for effective job performance.
- Candidates must be resident or ready to relocate to Lagos. The venue of the interview will be communicated and candidates invited for interview will be responsible for their transportation and accommodation.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV to “The Human Resources Manager (HIFASS)” via: email@example.com specifying the “Job Title” on the Subject of the mail.
- Kindly attach additional certificates that support or address the requirements listed for the position in PDF format, Resume and CV together in word format.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview
Application Deadline 16th March, 2020.