ACTED has been committed since 1993, to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 37 countries towards 14 million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Outreach Assistant – AGORA
- AGORA is a joint initiative of ACTED and IMPACT Initiatives, founded in 2016. AGORA promotes efficient, inclusive and integrated local planning, aid response and service delivery in contexts of crisis through applying settlement-based processes and tools. AGORA enables more efficient and tailored aid responses to support the recovery and stabilization of crisis-affected communities, contributing to meet their humanitarian needs, whilst promoting the re-establishment of local services and supporting local governance actors.
- The project Response to Resilience is being performed by a consortium of IRC, ACTED, and IMPACT. Based on the information delivered by IMPACT, ACTED and IRC will design their project activities. Those activities involve Community forums on the neighborhood level & city level, capacity development for decision makers & first responders, and resilience plans for the three targeted neighborhoods.
- In the framework of the project, IMPACT, through its initiative AGORA, will realize an area-based assessment in 3 target neighborhoods in Maiduguri. Household quantitative surveys with residents (hosts communities and IDPs), focus group discussions (FGDs) and key informant interviews (KIIs) with service providers will be conducted during the assessment.
- AGORA promotes multi-sectoral, settlement-based aid planning and implementation, structured around partnerships between local, national and international stakeholders. AGORA’s core activities include area-based needs and capacity assessments, evidence-based local planning, as well as support to area-based coordination mechanisms institutional cooperation and tailor-made capacity strengthening for local institutional actors.
- In light of the displacement in the north-eastern part of Nigeria, ACTED has set up an office in Maiduguri to respond to the humanitarian needs. AGORA a joint initiative of ACTED and IMPACT Initiatives is therefore looking for an Outreach Assistant AGORA to support its mission in Maiduguri.
- Under the functional supervision of the ACTED Country Focal Point in Nigeria, and in close collaboration with the senior assessment officer, the AGORA Assessment Officer is responsible the supervision of AGORA / IMPACT assessments, including their preparation, implementation, the creation of information products and follow-up. Hence, she/he is expected to engage in the entire research cycle, including research design, data collection, analysis, dissemination, and monitoring & evaluation.
The AGORA Outreach Assistant will be responsible for:
- The outreach assistant is the link between the service providers / community in the target areas and the project team.
- She/he organises meetings, engages and keeps track of all-important stakeholders / service provider in the target areas of the project.The building of good working relationship with those stakeholders is crucial for the success of his / her assignment.
- Support facilitation of 3 Neighbourhood-Level Area-Based Disaster Coordination Forums
- Facilitate bi-monthly neighbourhood Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordination meetings, including through maintaining and sharing the minutes of meetings with all participants, and keeping accurate records of participants and discussions.
- Establish and maintain neighbourhood-level 5Ws for service provision in the three target neighbourhoods
- Involvement in Programme Reporting
- Support the Urban DRR Project Manager as required, to meet internal and donor reporting requirements on the project
All employees should master ACTED’s core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline (Social Science, Development Studies, Research, Statistics, Monitoring and Evaluation) required
- Established quantitative and qualitative analytical skills;
- At least 2 years of relevant working experience in data analysis, report writing, conducting research or monitoring and evaluation.
- Excellent communication and drafting skills for reporting and external coordination;
- Strong skills with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong technical writing skills
- Excellent experience using ODK for quantitative data collection, or the ability to rapidly master the process
- Some experience creating ODK questionnaires, or ability to learn rapidly
- Fluency in English required;
- Ability to work independently
- Knowledge in Excel as well as SPSS, R or related statistical programming
- Contract length: 6 Months with possibility of extension
- Start date: As soon as possible – Desirable
Deadline: 10th March, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager,
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- ACTED considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- CVs will be review on rolling bases Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidates. We apologise for the inconvenience. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
- For general information about ACTED, please consult: www.acted.org