Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver / Office Assistant – Propcom Mai-karfi
Ref Id: req7813
Locations: Kaduna, Yobe & Gombe
Job Family: Programme Administrative Team
Responsible to: Logistics Officer
Responsible for: N/A
- Propcom Mai-Karfi is a six year DFID programme aimed at increasing incomes for the poor in Northern Nigeria through enhanced employment opportunities for increased employment and improved productivity in selected agricultural market systems in northern Nigeria.
- It now has a three-year extension 2018-2021 to work in a reduced number of states from mid-2018:
- Tier 1 (Borno, Adamawa and Yobe);
- Tier 2 (Gombe, Taraba and Bauchi) and
- Partnership states (Kaduna, Kano and Jigawa).
- To ensure that the Propcom Mai-Karfi vehicles are properly maintained in accordance with set standards and that they are road worthy at all times; transporting programme staff and consultants from place to place in the execution of their day to day duties.
Scope of Work
- The Propcom Mai-karfi Driver will be responsible for the maintenance of the programme vehicles and the provision of safe and reliable driving services to the programme staff and consultants in the execution of their day to day duties.
- Driving duties include driving both within and outside Abuja, Kano and/or Gombe.
- S/he will also be required to provide administrative and clerical support services as requested by programme team.
- These support services cut across admin/clerical functions within the office as well as in the execution of other programme related works such as workshops, meetings, trainings etc.
- This post requires working long hours and will often involve days away from their home base. Overtime will be paid for approved hours worked outside the regular work periods. Per diems will also be paid for days spent away from the Drivers home base in line with programme regulations.
The driver will be required to:
- Ensure that the assigned vehicle is clean, road worthy and compliant with DFID and Palladium International Ltd Operating Security Standards.
- Ensure proper maintenance of the assigned vehicle ensuring vehicles are clean and functional and conducting timely repairs, change of oil etc. and reporting to supervisors on time for any faults or damage to the vehicle.
- Take care of the day to day maintenance of assigned vehicles, check oil, water, battery, breaks, tyres etc. as required to ensure the optimum performance of vehicles at all times.
- Report any mechanical faults in good time for repairs to be carried out and cross check to ensure that all such repairs were done properly.
- Check vehicle condition/requirement and fill the Log Book properly, log official trips, daily mileage, fuel consumption, oil changes, etc. also ensure that all assigned programme vehicles have up to date documentation including insurance and other required vehicle registration papers
- Support the programme team by providing administrative and clerical support as required including in preparing, photocopying, collating, binding, filing and distributing documents, mail and notifications as requested.
- Provide general administrative and logistics support to the office and during events and meetings as required. Provide back to office reports from all trips which outline any challenges experienced and specifically note issues with the vehicle used, the accommodation in which the driver stayed and the security issues during the journey.
- Maintain a B grade score on driver training.
- Provide reliable and safe driving services to programme personnel as required.
- Develop networks in the places visited and in the locations worked which will enhance the obtaining of up to date security and travel information
- Support in the delivery and collection of cargo/mail, documents and other errands as directed by authorised programme personnel in accordance with Palladium and Propcom Mai-karfi project guidelines.
- Conduct office pickups and drop-offs for authorised staff and consultants.
- Assist the Personnel Manager with immigration and customs formalities as required.
- Ensure that vehicles petrol tanks are always full prior to any field trips.
- Maintain a high degree of confidentiality and discreteness about discussions which involve the programme and its officials.
- Take proper measures to reduce potential threats to Propcom Mai-karfi staff or property within the immediate vicinity of vehicles and along transport routes.
- Read and understand the Propcom Mai-karfi Security Standards Operating Procedures and ensure compliance with all security requirements when driving and using any programme vehicle.
- Ensure that all immediate actions required by law and by the Palladium International Ltd (Propcom Mai-karfi) rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents or incidents.
- The Driver will report to the Operations and Security Manager or his/her Designee as designated by the Director Operations.
- S/he will form part of the programme Administrative team and will be expected to maintain friendly and cordial working relationships with all staff and consultants of the Propcom Mai-karfi programme
The Driver should have:
- A minimum of OND and be able to communicate fluently in English language
- Minimum of 2 years work experience in a similar position within an international development project;
- Understanding of the mechanics of vehicles will be advantageous;
- Attendance, within the last two years, at an internationally recognized defensive driving course with a good pass mark achieved
- Recent attendance at a first aid course desirable
- Recent attendance at a Hostile Environment Awareness Training course desirable
- Ability to drive and work long hours
- Demonstrable knowledge of Nigerian road networks (with particular emphasis on Northern Nigeria)
- Demonstrable knowledge of Nigerian driving codes and regulations
- Hausa language skills desirable
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply