Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Safety and Protection Training of Teachers and Pupils Consultant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Contingent
Child Safeguarding – Level 3
- Level 3 – The responsibilities of this post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children and young people. In the overseas context, all posts are considered to be level 3.
- As part of these responsibilities, the post holder will support the establishment of child safeguarding systems, promote a culture of keeping children safe, and ensure that potential harm to children (by our own staff and/or as a result of how we do our work) is identified and addressed on an ongoing basis.
- The post holder should report and respond to interventions as determined by position related responsibilities identified in the Child Safeguarding Policy.
- Save the Children supports access to inclusive quality education from a safe and protective learning environment for children affected by the conflict in Northeast Nigeria, while at the same time strengthening coping mechanisms and resilience for children and teachers affected by the conflict through provision of psychosocial support and Social & Emotional Learning, all aiming at reducing the negative impact of the crisis on the wellbeing of children and their teachers.
- Save the Children is implementing a Safe Schools project in Nigeria funded by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (NMFA). The project aims at increased access to uninterrupted, safe and protective basic education opportunities for children affected by conflict through the implementation of Save the Children’s Common Approach to Safe Schools.
- The project combines participatory community approaches with systems strengthening to hold duty bearers at National, State, Local and community levels accountable for keeping children safe in and around schools, linking policies such as the Safe Schools Declaration (SSD) with community-driven empowerment to protect children specifically in Borno State as well as Nationally.
- The project is being implemented in the 24 schools in 4 underserved Local Government Areas of Jere, Biu, Konduga and MMC in Borno States.
The project is guided by the following strategic outcome areas:
- Girls and boys have access to safe, protective education to be safe and learn
- Local and State systems are strengthened to ensure engagement and action in support of comprehensive school safety and protection
- Improved policy environment at Federal level for comprehensive school safety through the development of the SSD policy
The project is implemented through existing government systems and community structure to build capacity and responsiveness within the education service delivery structure. This approach leverages on the resources and local expertise and promotes sustainability by strengthening capacity and structures-systems.
Purpose of the consultancy:
- In view of the above, Save the Children is organizing a training for teachers and pupils to enhance their capacity on safety and protection issues.
- The aim is to expose and enhance the capacities of both teachers and pupils on safety tips, response to emergencies, and gain knowledge on how to identify possible threats to lives and school structure and drills and simulation on how to respond when there is a threat or attack on schools, so as to make schools safer.
- To this end, this Terms of Reference (ToR) is for the engagement of a Security Consultant who will develop materials and facilitate training on safety and protection topics in Maiduguri and Biu LGAs of Borno State.
Objectives of this consultancy is to:
The followings are the objectives of this assignment:
- Develop child friendly materials guide to train teachers and pupils
- Develop capacity of teachers and pupils on safety and protection topics
- Enhance emergency preparedness of education system and children in intervention schools in Borno states
Scope of work
Areas of focus during training:
- Overview of Safe School Declaration
Mine Risk Awareness, (type of explosive, risk, safety precaution and advisories):
- Assessing Risks, Hazards, Vulnerabilities & Capacities
- Situational awareness, standard operating procedures and develop decision-making skills for emergencies
- Element of a Suicide Bomber and basic safety precaution
- Role of teachers and community in keeping school safe- including supporting early warning systems.
- Active threats, attack drills/simulations and evacuation
The Consultants shall be expected to adhere to the following in an ethical manner during this contract period:
- Communicate promptly when and as necessary through the right channel.
- Suggests topics to be treated and share with program staff and security focal person
- Develop training manual/slides to be used during the training.
- Take and maintain a record of the participants’ attendance.
- Care for all materials and teaching aids used for the activity.
- Submit a detailed typed report of the training
- Exercise your responsibility in an ethical manner.
- Thoroughly review training manuals and research recent innovations and standards in education especially school safety.
- Conduct pre and posttest analysis and incorporate findings in the report to inform future programing
- Give constructive feedback that can help SCI improve on subsequent workshops and other interventions.
- Key safety and protection topics identified
- Training materials on the topics identified produced
- Participants are acquainted with skills of identifying UXOs, early warning signs, and basic safety drills on how to respond when there is a threat or attack.
- A detailed typed training report
- Attendance lists
- Save the Children is a child- safe organization and has measures in place to ensure that all activities, staff, volunteers, consultants and anyone who comes into contact with children through their association with Save the Children do not harm children or put them at risk through their actions or inactions.
- Our selection process includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to protection of children from all forms of abuse.
Qualification and Skills
- Applicant should possess a minimum of first degree in Humanities and Social Sciences. A higher degree would be an added advantage
- Must have a previous experience as humanitarian security manager or Advisor with knowledge of Northeast context
- Must have attended several security training and possessed certificate in safety and security TOT
- Previous experience of working with security is desirable and particularly working in Explosive Ordinance department
- Proven previous experience on accomplishment of similar tasks (should be clearly stated in Cover Letter);
- Demonstrated capacity to work with government institutions, local and international actors;
- High level of proficiency in oral and written communication skills in English language, Hausa and knowledge of Kanuri language is an added advantage;
- Experience in education, security and child protection is an advantage
- Working knowledge on the threats against education in Nigeria (including crises and conflict).
- Should possess a good knowledge of security-related incidents capable of impacting negatively on the Safe School Project and relevant mitigation measures to address such incidents if, and when they occur.
- The assignment will take place in selected Communities of NMFA Safe Schools Project intervention in Borno State for a foreseen duration of 21 working days.
- In addition, a briefing and a debriefing meeting will be held at SCI Borno Office at the beginning and end of the mission involving the consultant, SCI Security Manager and the Project Team
- Throughout the work, the Consultant is required to remain in close consultation with the Security Manager and Education Manager and provide regular feedback on the progress of the Assignment.
- The Security and Education Manager could be consulted as a source of guidance on the assignment.
- Content/submission/comments timing:
- Inception Report of maximum 10 pages to be produced after 2 days from the start of implementation. The report should include the table of content guide, methodology and process of training delivery, any difficulties encountered or expected in addition to the work programme. The Consultant shouldn’t precede to the next phase of his/her work unless the Contracting Authority sends comments on the inception report.
- Draft final report of maximum 10 pages (main text, excluding annexes) in the format provided above for the inception report. The draft report shall be subjected to comments from SCI. The report shall contain a sufficiently detailed description, achievement, recommendation and follow up action of the training.
- Final report with the same specifications as the draft final report, incorporating any comments received from the parties on the draft report. The deadline for sending the final report is 03 days after receipt of comments on the draft final report.
- The final report (as well as previous reports) must be of very high quality, including language. The achievements, analysis of participations, conclusions and recommendations should be thorough and the link between them should be clear. The recommendations should be concrete and realistic and presented in a logical structure following on their importance and level of details.
Costs related to the agreement:
- All costs related to the training which are to be covered by SCI would be detailed in the training contract, which will be signed by the consultant and the designated person from SCI Nigeria Humanitarian Response Programme.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
All interested individuals are required to submit their proposals including cover letters or expression of interest, up-to date CVs highlighting previous relevant experience and copy of a curriculum they have worked on or reference from an organization/entity they worked for and cost.
Application Deadline 13th March, 2020.
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.