Health Initiatives for Safety and Stability in Africa (HIFASS), is a non-profit organization registered in 2007 in Nigeria with a core objective of expanding quality health care and treatment in Africa. Our vision is enhancing healthier and safer communities, while our mission is to collaborate with partners to promote comprehensive and sustainable interventions for public health, support military medicine and health diplomacy for peace, stability and development of communities. Over the years HIFASS has provided manpower and associated technical support to PEPFAR, Research activities, USAID and World Bank funded projects in Nigeria and further more played a role in the management of personnel services.
Applications are hereby invited for:
Job Title: Biomedical Engineer
Reports To: Facilities Lab Supervisor and Research Manager
Work Hours: Full Time 40 hours / week
- The incumbent will provide technical support to the program in the installation, calibration, preventive and reparative maintenance of all laboratory equipment, appliances and related equipment
- S/He will be assigned to specific sites as directed.
Specific duties will include, but not limited to the following:
Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities: 90%
- Assist in the installation, calibration and maintenance, of all equipment and appliances acquired by the program to locations including NMOD or DOD locations as directed (primary site of work is located at 68 NARHY, however up to 50% travel is expected).
- Liaise with equipment providers to the organization, monitor and ensure the implementation of contractual agreement on all equipment procured by the program
- Train operators in the use, care and maintenance of equipment.
- As directed, respond to equipment fault requests; perform repair services and preventive maintenance.
- Support monitoring for any and all equipment for optimal performance.
- Maintain maintenance records of all equipment such as installation date, warranty, preventive and routine maintenance schedules fault record and repair and training
- Prepare and submit activities report immediately an activity is completed for proper documentation and management.
- Provide onsite training to site instrument technicians on basic equipment maintenance.
- As directed, carry out facility maintenance including water supply & treatment, electrical and fire alarm systems, civil and mechanical works at 68 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital (68 NARHY).
- Assist on installation, operation and maintenance of liquid nitrogen plant and generators at 68 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital (68 NARHY) to produce liquid nitrogen.
- Assist logistics unit in ensuring proper warehousing of all laboratory equipment and other medical devices.
- Assist laboratory scientist in samples preservation and shipment using generated liquid nitrogen.
- Support Clinical Research Center on equipment maintenance.
Other Duties 10%:
- Performs other related job duties as assigned or requested.
- Minimum Education / Training Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in Biomedical Engineering or its equivalent is required.
- Prior Work Experience: A minimum of 3 years post NYSC experience as a Biomedical Engineer.
- Language Proficiency: Level IV English (fluency in both written and oral) is required
- Required Licenses, Certification.
- Supervisory Received: Supervision by the Senior Biomedical Engineer DRL and the Research Manager.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Thorough understanding of the underlying principles of physics and electronics as it applies to laboratory and related medical devices. Knowledge and skill in equipment installation, calibration and preventive maintenance.
- Knowledge of electronic circuitry and technical aspects of operation, repair and maintenance of electronic equipment.
- Knowledge of Computer Applications and Troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of Electromechanical, Instrumentation and Control Systems; Good Communication and Interpersonal Skills.
- Knowledge on current regulatory requirements of medical instrumentations.
- Knowledge of computers and how they interface with medical equipment. Ability to analyze, repair, and test electronic and electromechanical equipment.
- Ability to interpret schematics, wiring diagrams, and illustrated parts drawings of biomedical instrumentations.
- Ability and skill to maintain accurate records of repairs, calibration, and tests.
- Ability to move or lift up to 50 pounds of equipment; to push/pull equipment carts; and to kneel, stand, bend and reach during equipment repair.
- Ability to work as team and be multi-tasking.
- Up to 50% travel is expected.
- This laboratory supports work of investigators of diverse scientific disciplines and nationalities and requires good interpersonal skills for effective job performance.
- Candidates must be resident or ready to relocate Lagos.
Deadline: 5th June, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV to “The Human Resources Manager (HIFASS)” specifying the Job Title on the subject of the mail to: email@example.com Kindly attach additional certificates that supports or address the requirements listed for the position in PDF format, Cover Letter and CV together in word format.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.