Sahel Consulting Agriculture & Nutrition Limited (SCANL) is a leading management consulting firm focused on the agricultural and nutrition sectors in Africa. We partner with government agencies, private sector companies and leading international development organizations to conduct research, analyze policies, develop strategies and implement programs that promote sustainable food security and improved nutrition. We have worked on a variety of projects across West Africa, including in Benin, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Mali, Nigeria, and Senegal.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance / Accounts Officer
Job Type: Full Time
Reports to: Chief of Party (CoP)
Travel: Limited travel across project States in Nigeria
About the Program
- Sahel, in collaboration with other partners, seeks to catalyze the local dairy sector in Nigeria in an inclusive way through a program that will improve the livelihoods, productivity, nutrition, and empowerment of smallholder female dairy farmers and the communities in which they live. The program will span 5 years and will:
- Advocate for an enabling environment for local sourcing through engagements with the government and relevant private sector stakeholders.
- Increase demand for locally sourced milk through partnerships with dairy processors currently or interested in sourcing locally.
- Improve smallholder dairy farmers’ productivity by increasing their access to technical support services and appropriate inputs.
- Empower women dairy farmers and enable them to improve their livelihoods and that of their households.
- Improve nutrition outcomes among smallholder dairy households through innovations in food systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Accountant’s primary responsibilities are outlined below. The Accountant is however expected to perform any tasks that are necessary within the context of the evolving needs of the program:
- Financial Management & Oversight: Establish and maintain sound and transparent accounting and fiscal control procedures for internal operations and sub-award and contracts. Ensure compliance of financial and operations systems with Sahel policies and procedures, donor rules and regulation, terms and conditions, award requirements, and the laws of the Government of Nigeria (including PAYE, VAT, Withholding Tax, Pension, and NHF).
- Budgeting: Manage the program annual budget development process that includes managing the annual work plan, life-of-project and activity budgets and ensuring compliance of program expenditures with approved budgets; ensure the consistency, inclusion and accuracy of costs and compliance with agreed policy and practices, and work with staff in developing budgets for technical activities as necessary. Revise overall and sub-budgets as needed throughout the work plan year.
- Cash Flow Management: Manage the program’s cash flow and prepare cash flow forecasts on a regular basis. Maintain complete and accurate supporting documentation for all financial transactions
- Reporting: Compute key business metrics and provide weekly, monthly and quarterly reports to management; create additional analyses and reports as requested. Prepare and submit periodic financial and accrual reports to the funding partners as required by the contract. Contribute to the development of high-quality work plans, quarterly and annual reports, financial reports, and any other reports required by the donor.
- Grant Management: Work with Accountant on the administration of all grants, leases, contracts, and other financial obligations.
- Compliance and Risk Management: Ensure that strong internal control systems are in place. Actively monitor all systems and ensure that staff act in full compliance with the terms and conditions of contract/award and donor requirements, local laws, and Sahel policies and standard operating procedures. Assist the Chief of Party to conduct regular and thorough operational risk assessments in country, and monitor success of risk mitigation and risk control activities. Coordinate execution of financial reviews or audits and ensure timely follow up to review or audit conclusions and recommendations in close collaboration with the project team.
- Administration: Supervise other program-based finance and accounting staff. Ensure appropriate segregation of duties in all procurement and payment activities from initiation to final payment. Handle the acquisition of capital assets and ensure they are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of as appropriate.
Minimum Required Skills & Experience
- Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration or related field is strongly preferred.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in administrative and financial management,
- Knowledge in generally accepted accounting, budgeting and fiscal control principles.
- Experience with preparing financial reports for development partners
- Relevant skills in automated accounting software systems and database spreadsheets
- Experience in tax and audit preparation according to Nigerian laws
- Experience building capacity in financial management of, and demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with partner organizations
Communication & Interpersonal Skills:
- Ability to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers and team members.
- Fluency in the English language, and excellent writing and presentation skills
- Personal Characteristics and Other Requirements:
- Excellent judgement. Ability to understand current issues quickly and make wise decisions
- Ability to work under pressure, plan personal workload effectively and delegate
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Job Title: Web Developer – Nourishing Africa
- Sahel Consulting and its partners have created an online platform called Nourishingafrica.com that will be the ‘Home for 1 Million Agri-Food Entrepreneurs Transforming Africa’s Agricultural Landscape’.
- The mission of Nourishingafrica is to “attract, empower, equip, connect and celebrate over 1 Million dynamic and innovative young entrepreneurs who will drive the profitable and sustainable growth of the African agriculture and food landscapes”
- As such, this hub serves as a platform for these stakeholders to accelerate their work, connect with each other, and celebrate their successes on the continent
- The portal includes information on funding, e-learning, data on the sector, African food and chefs, career opportunities, and other resources to develop one’s career in the agri-food industry.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Code well designed, testable, efficient software by using best development practices
- Integrate data from various back-end services and databases
- Manage front-end visuals and information.
- Gather and refine specifications and requirements based on technical needs
- Create and maintain software documentation
- Be responsible for maintaining, expanding, and scaling of the Nourishing Africa online hub
- Stay plugged into emerging technologies/industry trends and apply them into operations and activities
- Serve as the lead advisor to the team on appropriate cyber security measures to implement in carrying out its daily operations
- Plan, implement, manage, monitor and upgrade security measures
- Troubleshoot both security and network issues
- Identify, report and respond to system and/or network security breaches
- Design graphics for Nourishing Africa material
- Test and identify network and system vulnerabilities.
- Experience in web developing and management of expansive knowledge and learning platform
- Experience in graphic designing
- Ability to code and create front end and back-end functions
- Experience in cyber-security tasks including intrusion detection, incident response and computer forensics.
- Experience working with firewalls, routers, intrusion detection systems and intrusion prevention systems.
- Knowledge of popular security suites.
- A passion for agriculture and nutrition in Africa
- Preference is for candidates with skills in HTML / CSS , Bootstrap, Graphic Design, Photoshop, illustrator, Corel Draw, Back end, php. / Laravel
- Available to start immediately.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Word-formatted single document consisting of a Cover Letter and Resume to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line
- Due to a high volume of applicants, please understand that we are able to contact only those who meet the minimum qualifications.
- Sahel is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Preference is for candidates living in Abuja who is currently working with a leading consulting firm.