Security & Safety Officer at Street Child Nigeria
Street Child is a UK charity working to protect vulnerable children and improve access to education in some of the poorest communities in the world. We work in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Nepal and since November 2016, Street Child has been involved in the Humanitarian response in North East Nigeria.
Street Child works in the fields of education, child protection and livelihoods, working to deliver sustainable solutions and create maximum impact. Our work combines counselling, family mediation, business support, school building, teacher training and child protection. We were a key player in the Ebola crisis and led the global response for children orphaned by Ebola in Sierra Leone and Liberia. We deliver all our programmes through local partners and, since 2008, together we have built/renovated over 200 schools and are now helping to educate over 40,000 young people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security & Safety Officer
- The role of the Security Officer (SO) is to focus on the continuous implementation of safety strategies and protocols to ensure a high level of safety.
- This is to support all Street Child staff based or travelling in Field locations, across Borneo, Yobe & Adamawa.
- The role will maintain a high level of contextual awareness of his/her operating area and strong coordination with Programme Managers and Programme support teams at the Field level.
- The Safety and Security Officer will serve as the Safety unit representative at Field level and serve, when required as the Safety unit representative on the Field Crisis Management Team
- Planning, Preparation and Implementation of established Procedures and Protocols
- Continuously monitoring the environment in the operational areas for which he/she is responsible. As required, and at a minimum of once per month, support the Senior Management Team on updating the context analysis for locations
- Brief, manage and liaise on daily basis with the contracted guarding services to ensuring they maintain a high standard of guarding for Street Child office and residence providing for the safety of Street Child compound/staff and assets
- Maintaining physical safety standards for Street Child office and guesthouse at Field level
- Accompany staff on field missions on a need basis in order to better develop an awareness of the challenges faced by Street Child staff in the field
- Provide movement tracking oversight and support in coordination with Logistics department.
- Liaise with government, Army, Police, SSS, Local Heads and other key external stakeholders to ensure that Street Child staff can maintain regular and safe access to program areas
- Based on current context make recommendations to the Head of Base for updates to Field Level Standard Operating Procedures and Safety Risk Management Plans.
- Ensure that the Field Level Safety Plan and associated documents are kept up to date and reviewed regularly
- Ensure the safety readiness of all Street Child staff at Field level through regular integration of safety management priorities and objectives into Field Office planning
- Regularly coordinate with peer organization safety staff/focal points to get the current contextual information.
- Prepare Hibernation, Relocation and Evacuation plan for the area of responsibility with the support of Safety advisor.
Reporting and Information management:
- Submitting when required voice, email or SMS immediate advisories to Field staff and Managers the when a significant safety incident occur
- Submit formal incident reports to the Head of Base
- Submit to the Head of Base weekly reports
- Ensure reporting and advisories are disseminated on a routine basis to all Street Child Field staff, in a proper and orderly manner
- Attend regular security network meetings within the area of responsibility and ensure discussion points from these meetings are incorporated into current safety assessments
- Report to the Head of Base and relevant Field level senior management any instances of staff non-compliance to established protocols & procedures
- In coordination with the Senior Management Team, develop and implement quarterly training plans for all Street Child Field level staff focused on safety awareness and skill sets
- Ensure that all Street Child Field level drivers receive annual driver training as well as First Aid training
- In coordination with the Senior Management Team, ensure quarterly orientation on Hibernation, relocation and evacuation plan with all field staff.
- In coordination with the Senior Management Team, ensure that an annual Crisis Management training session is completed with all relevant Field level staff
- During any critical incident or crises serve as the Safety unit representation on the Field Level Crisis Management Team
- Ensure that all Field Level Crisis management plans are kept up to date and reviewed regularly
- Ensure that the necessary external relationships are maintained at Field level to facilitate a quick response and assistance to Street Child during any critical incident or crises
- Commitment to Street Child mission, vision and values, and the ability to convey with enthusiasm Street Child’s role in accompanying and serving forcibly displaced people and in advocating for their right to protection and a life in dignity.
- This role will involve working with vulnerable people and children and requires relevant knowledge of safeguarding principles
- High integrity, honesty and confidentiality; ability to deal tactfully and discreetly with situations, people and information.
- Acceptance of diversity and inclusion as a core value.
- Willingness to work in a flexible, sub-optimal, stressful and unstable environment.
- Experience (at least 5 year) of working in Nigeria with Security
- Experience of working in Yobe State, Borno State or Adamawa State (an advantage, but not a requirement)
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to working with marginalized communities
- Fluency in English and excellent writing skills.
Terms and Conditions
- The contract is for 12 months, with an initial probationary period of 3 months. The salary will be proportioned to the candidate experience and balanced to the Street Child salary scale.
Deadline: 29th May, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online