EDC is one of the World’s leading Nonprofit Research and development firms. EDC designs, implements and evaluates programs to improve education, health, and economic opportunity worldwide.Collaborating with both public and private partners, we strive for a world where all people are empowered to live healthy, productive lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Reading Officer
- The Northern Education Initiative Plus project works to improve the quality of and access to education in Northern Nigeria, equitably and sustainably.
- The LGEA Reading Coordinator will provide technical assistance and guidance to the project’s support to improved reading instruction at the LGEA level.
Reporting & Supervision:
- This position is housed in each Coordinator’s assigned LGEA in Sokoto, Nigeria, reporting to the Reading Officer.
- Supervise the implementation of all Northern Education Initiative Plus supported reading material, all Northern Education Initiative Plus supported trainings in reading, all teacher and classroom supervision and monitoring and all student testing efforts.
- Ensure complementarity of activity approaches in reading across the LGEA,
- Liaise with LGEA government representatives and technicians on technical matters, and bears ultimate responsibility for ensuring that children in Northern Education Initiative Plus public,
- IQTE, and NFLC schools achieve improved outcomes in reading.
- It is expected that the LGEA Reading Coordinator will work directly with a Hausa language expert (particularly if the reading specialist is not conversant and fluent in written and spoken Hausa).
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Master’s Degree with at least one year (or Bachelors with at least 3 years) of relevant
- experience in education development, with familiarity working in local governmental systems in Nigeria.
- Prior experience providing training and capacity building to staff and counterparts in areas of participatory planning.
- Undergraduate degree in Education, Public Administration or related field;
- Fluency in English and Hausa required.
Job Title: ICT Specialist
Position: ICT Materials Development Specialist – USAID/Nigeria’s Northern Education Initiative Plus
- EDC has an opening for an Information Communication Technology (ICT) Materials Development Specialist in Abuja, Nigeria, to support the USAID/Nigeria’s Northern Education Initiative Plus project, implemented by Creative Associates and EDC.
- USAID/Nigeria’s Northern Education Initiative Plus (NEI Plus) works to improve the quality of and access to education in Northern Nigeria equitably and sustainably.
- The position will report to the Senior Reading Specialist.
The ICT Materials Development Specialist will manage the integration of technology to support teaching and learning carried out across the project. He/she will work closely with the technical and operational staff to develop, implement and assess the use of different technology platforms.
The ICT Materials Development Specialist will:
- Participate in a multi-disciplinary team to assess, adapt, and implement the English and Hausa curriculum to appropriate technology platforms
- Identify technology solutions for improving teaching and learning through the NEI Plus project. Develop proposals and cost/benefit analysis of different solutions
- Work with project management and technical advisors to decide on most appropriate technological approaches and how to integrate technology into existing lessons
- Manage the adaptation and localization of the English and Hausa curriculum into formats suitable for each technology platform
- Develop additional content for technology platforms as required
- Manage the piloting of technology platforms
- Assist in the evaluation of technology platforms and make recommendations on revisions to both the platform and curriculum where appropriate
- Train facilitators, teachers, government staff and learners on the use of technology.
- Collaborate with and maintain regular contact with partners to ensure the successful implementation of technology to support the curriculum
- Prepare ad hoc and periodic progress reports and annual reports showing achievements against set targets
- Work closely with the NEI Plus ICT Advisor in all activities
- Collaborate closely with NEI Plus staff and management in Nigeria and abroad as required
- Participate in internal administrative and operational meetings, as required
- Facilitate arrangements for organizing meetings, trainings and workshops
- Perform other duties as may be assigned
This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to effectively work independently as well as in groups; strong interpersonal and organizational skills. Specific requirements:
- University Degree, preferably in Education, Instructional Technology, Curriculum Development, or other related disciplines
- At least 5 years of work experience in curriculum development, instructional design, teacher training and/or e- or m-Learning
- Extensive experience and involvement with developing curricula or training materials to meet basic education needs in Nigeria and/or in comparable nations
- Experience in implementing technology approaches to education (for example through SMS, video, apps, websites etc.)
- Experience in using active learning teaching methodologies
- Excellent computer literacy required, preferably including knowledge of website management and app development
- Excellent communication and report writing skills
- Strong interpersonal communications, negotiation, presentations skills and experience working in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and to meet deadlines
- Prior experience with USAID-funded projects preferred
- Proficiency in Hausa is a plus
- Travel to project states required
Deadline: 5th July, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Resumes to: email@example.com with “Reading Officer” OR ICT Specialist in the subject line of the email.
- Candidates who are being invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
- EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace. EDC offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and an excellent benefits package.