Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria – We attract talented individuals. Not only can they give you the benefit of their experience, they also reveal a closer, more personal look at the wide range of global opportunities we offer. At the core of the Group’s people strategy is our focus on employee engagement. Engagement is a key driver of productivity and performance, which creates the foundation of our performance culture. We encourage and focus on the behaviours that bring out the very best from every employee, assessing their performance not just on results but on how those results were achieved. To further embed these behaviours we have a remuneration programme in place, carefully designed to incentivise our employees to live our values every day.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Credit Evaluation Manager
Job ID: 48116
Location: Lagos Island, Lagos
Job Sector: Banking
- Risk Management: understanding all risks – from the economic to the political – that could affect our global business, and offering guidance to all parts of the bank.
- To provide effective value adding risk management to assist Business Banking Teams in the Business Banking space in achieving their asset growth targets, whilst maintaining a quality-lending book, through effective underwriting, evaluation and approval of credit applications.
- The delivery of a professional service to all business units, by assessing and evaluating credit facilities (new and/or existing) based on sound credit & financial principles, whilst adhering to the Bank’s group credit risk standards, maintaining credit independence and managing risk reward balance
Evaluation and approval of applications:
- Evaluate accurately credit proposals to ensure they meet sound business criteria and credit risk fall within acceptable parameters within approved turnaround times.
- Identify, quantify and evaluate credit risks in relation to profitability of business proposals and financial viability of Business banking credits.
- Process credit applications and ensure timely and quality credit assessments and decisions are made.
- Build relationship with Relationship Managers/Business Bankers and collaborate to improve quality of business proposals and turnaround time on credit evaluations.
- Active participation at the Business Assessment Committee meetings
- Monitor the risk grading of all Business Banking customers using BBRS
- Ensures all identified credit control events and payment defaults are managed, in order to reduce the roll rate of non-performing loans into lock up portfolio by providing a prompt and orderly turnaround environment in which controls can be exercised to ensure that the Bank is not faced with avoidable losses.
- Ensures that timely and quality credit delivery and decisions are made within agreed Service Level Agreements (SLAs) within the in the Business Banking space.
- Ensures that the Bank’s need to provide adequate controls over the risks encountered in the post-credit granting stage of the credit process are satisfied by ensuring the appropriateness, consistency, validity and enforceability of all collateral confirming that all collateral and legal documentation in respect of banking facilities and advances granted have been obtained’ are in legal order and properly housed.
- Review of relevant internal & external communications, such as circulars, economic reviews on industries, & financial or industry publications to ensure that any development, new requirements or external risks are properly taken cognizance of in lending decisions or conditions of lending.
Governance, risk and compliance:
- Ensures compliance with country adopted standards, policies, mandates and procedures governing activities within the credit space
- Actively participates in Credit Risk Management Committee meetings and watch list committee meetings and provides meaningful input into risk appetite discussions, portfolio management and collections strategies as well as detecting and evaluating shifts or changes in key risk parameters and the effects of such changes on portfolios and relationships.
- Identifies business needs and existing credit strategies and interprets these into operational reality.
- Constantly challenge established thinking and to facilitate constructive discussions that lead to continuous improvement in operating processes.
- The ability to balance competing business needs with risk mitigation requirements.
- The ability to apply appropriate risk mitigation techniques to improve the bankability of marginal proposals.
- Ability to evaluate the risks/reward of each credit facility application and supporting information, taking into account broad industry risks, total bank exposure to specific industries, and the risk and profile of the counterparty applying for credit.
- Manage the cross-functional conflicts that may arise in the course of working with the business teams.
- Builds relationship with Relationship Managers to improve and maintain business/credit relationship
- Effective management of the zonal portfolio to deliver the desired result along asset growth, risk, delinquency and cost containment.
- Ensures that all internal and external reporting is completed accurately, on time and that appropriate value adding insights into the portfolio are provided so that both internal and external users of information have a deep and appropriate insight into the quality of the portfolio and the appropriateness of the processes
- Ensure there are effective controls in place to rectify any identified gaps/risks in the portfolio
Credit Committee Secretariat Management:
- Prepare minutes of Credit Committee meetings within 48hours of every meeting
- Ensure all approved facilities are sanctioned in line with the terms of approval of the committee
- Effective monitoring of all credit committee action plans; timely reporting and escalation of all breaches
Preferred Qualification and Experience
Qualifications and Experience:
- First Degree in Business Commerce / Finance and Accounting / Mathematical Sciences
- Professional qualification (ACIB), ACA, ACCA, ACIS
- Masters’ Degree is an added advantage
- Minimum of 7 years experience in credit risk, credit analysis/evaluation, risk management, business development and portfolio management
- Minimum of 7 years experience in managing commercial banking and other Strategic Business Units’ relationships
- Loan assessment and approval
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Operating cashflow analysis
- Debt Consolidation
- Mortgage Lending
- Asset Based Lending
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online